GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Reunite Broken Groups - Missing Medals, Documentation, etc.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Reunite Broken Groups - Missing Medals, Documentation, etc.

The bane of most US medal collectors existence (at least in my case) is medals missing from groups. While it's always great to do research and find out about the veteran whose items you have, it always seems to take a little away when you learn that something is missing. Unfortunately, due to the fact that in most cases the families themselves sell medals at garage sales, estate sales, or auctions; and that the items are further sold by antique dealers, broken groups are quite common.
    <O
    The following is a list of some broken groups I am looking to reunite. If anyone has something on this list, I would be very interested in acquiring it through purchase or trade.
    <O
    Medal - Name/Other Information

Silver Star named to Vernon E. Bickley
    Distinguished Flying Cross numbered 4455
    Air Medal named in official format to Robert B. Finley
    Air Medal named in official format to Allan W. Lowry
    Air Medal named in official format to James J. Cleary Jr.
    Bronze Star named to Esnard J. Borne
    Purple Heart named to Charles R. Wheeler
    USMC Good Conduct numbered No. 25018 – WWI Award
    USN Second Nicaraguan numbered M No. 853
    <O
    All of the medals except the last two were issued in WWII.
    <O
    If others want to use this post to list items they are looking for, I would be happy to check my collection against the list.
    <O
    Thanks!

Frank Smith

UPDATE:
    I almost forgot...I'm looking for uniforms and paper items belonging to Major General Thomas H. Green. His items were initially sold in an estate auction in Moravia, NY in November 1989. Many items, including his promotion documents and a uniform, were sold in the February 1990 Mohhawk Arms Inc. Auction.
    Last edited by Frank Smith; 04-29-2007, 06:46 PM.

I am trying to reunite anything that belonged to Hildreth F. Huff !
    items related to Hildreth F. Huff

thanks,
    Brandyn
    Last edited by grovb; 10-31-2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Sorry Frank and Brandyn, I can't help with either of yours. I am personally looking for a named Distinguished Flying Cross, named to a Robert M. McGraw. It was sold at a Floyd, Johnson, & Paine auction a few auctions ago, so I know for a fact it's out there, but "where?" is the question.

Comment

Looks like we need to start out a new thread than maybe can be pinned for those who are looking to re-unite groups.

MODs what do you think?

As for myself I am looking for items for a few men (anything thing I can obtain):

1) Lt. John McNaney 458th BG 752nd BS

2) Lt. Joe B. Vogel 303rd BG 358th BS

3) Lt Omar Gonzales 100th BG 349th BS

4) Lt. Lawerence J. Potenza 381st BG 533rd BS

Thanks in advance!
        Last edited by John Cooper; 11-01-2006, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Missing Medals for Groups.

This could be a great thread! I'll add my list below. All of these awards are WWII.

1) Bronze Star -- Edward H. Bartel.
          2) Bronze Star -- William F. Chaplin.
          3) Silver Star -- Bertram J. Clark.
          4) Bronze Star -- Franklin L. Cornwell.
          5) Silver Star -- William J. Gilbert.
          6) Bronze Star -- William E. Kelly.
          7) Bronze Star -- Jimmie S. Knight.
          8) Silver Star -- Herbert V. Marx.
          9) Silver Star & Bronze Star -- Hervey L. Mencke.
          10) Silver Star & Bronze Star -- William E. Mitchell.
          11) Bronze Star -- Rayford E. Saxon.
          12) DSC -- Alfred Sharff.
          13) Silver Star -- Clarence K. Spltler.
          14) Silver Star -- John O. Stein.
          15) Silver Star -- Charles Vlahos.
          16) Bronze Star -- Lloyd Whiteaker.

Thanks,
          Ed Maier

Comment

OK Andy has this pinned - so if you have a group that is not complete please post here. The search thread function will serve to aid those who may be able to help you.

John

Comment

Great tread:-

1.Air Medal Named -- P\Sgt.Roque Perpetua Vietnam

Comment

Gentlemen,
                Since this thread is a primarily a list of "wanted" items rather than a discussion thread it probably should have been posted in the eStand/Wanted area. However, I'm not moving it unless Seba rules it too commercial and it's got to go. However, we try to reserve permanently pinned threads for those that have repeatedly demonstrated broad appeal and a stream of fresh, substantive contributions. So, I'll leave it at the top for a week or so to prime the pump and then turn it loose and see if it keeps coming to the top.
                VerKuilen

P.S. Just a suggestion: if the thread title were changed to something like "Help Reunite Broken Groups" it could be of interest to a boader spectrum of forum participants. One or two posts have mentioned more than just medals but are less likely to be noticed because of the title.
                Last edited by VerKuilen Ager; 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I would be happy to take your advice and change the name of the thread. However, I can't seem to do so. Is there a way to change it? Frank

Comment

While I think a name change would be OK, I hope that this is not moved to estand as I do not believe that this is a "commercial" post. This thread is of great value to collectors in reuniting "history" and is not about making money. The target audience for this thread is US Medal Collectors or those with an interest in the medals.

Just my rambling thoughts,
                    Ed

Comment

You are correct Ed and Frank PM Andy or another MOD and maybe they can help. If not and you feel it needs to be changed we can have a new topic created move the posted over and have that pinned instead.

Cheers all and I am keeping my eyes open for you online and at the local shows.

JOhn

Comment

In Search of Iwo Jima KIA Purple Heart Paperwork

Anyone out there have any paperwork for a WWII USMC Robert J DeVol, was killed at Iwo during the initial assault. Would like to aquire any documents etc on him as I have his named purple heart.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by emaier3 View Post
                          This could be a great thread! I'll add my list below. All of these awards are WWII.

1) Bronze Star -- Edward H. Bartel.

Thanks,
                          Ed Maier
                          Take a look at this Ed

Pfc. Edward H. Bartel, 36800199, Company "L," 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division. Killed in Action on 16 January 1945 south of Hachimette, France. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster. Born on 31 August 1922, he entered service on 29 January 1943 from Kenosha, Wisconsin.
                          He joined the 7th Infantry Regiment as a rifleman on 26 May 1944 after serving as a cook from June 1943. He participated in the Garrison of Rome until the division landed in southern France on 15 August 1944. He fought as a rifleman across France being wounded one time and receiving the Combat Infantryman's Badge on 30 June 1944.
                          On 16 January 1945, Pfc. Bartel was reported as missing in action following an attack by his company two miles south of Hachimette, France. Company "L" was assigned to attack a series of enemy strong points along a trail in front of the 1st Battalion just before dawn. Shortly after leaving the line of departure, Company "L" received enemy mortar, rifle, machine gun and rifle grenade fire. It is believed that Pfc. Bartel was wounded at this time and died before he could be moved to an aid station as several platoon members reported that Pfc. Bartel had been killed in action. Pfc. Bartel's body was never recovered from the field and after several years of investigation the Army declared him to be dead.
                          He is listed on the Tablet of the Missing at the Epinal American Cemetery, Epinal, France. He was 22 years old

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper View Post
                            Take a look at this Ed

[/left]
                            John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to search for these medals. The information is from my web page. I am looking for the Bronze Star to complete this group.

Thanks again,
                            Ed

Comment

My mistake sorry - I have been to the site and for some reason I thought you were signed up here under a different name...

Well at least I am tryiong to help out - better to try and fail then never have tried at all...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X