No announcement yet.

Salty Cased Zeppelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still curious for reactions to Der Ritt's...

http://derrittmeister.com/productpages/11429.htm

Comment

John,

Regarding Der Rittmeister's badge that you linked to, I think he may have got it right this time. I have seen one other badge like it (maybe the same one?), in brass or tombak with silvered plating, marked by Glaser and featuring that distinctive fluted catch. I have also seen a few Turkish pilot badges with the same catch, but unmarked, and in Nimmergut's book (for what that's worth), there is a picture of an unmarked Zeppelin badge with the same type of fluted catch. I know that's pretty thin evidence, but I think the fluted catch is a characteristic of real Glaser & Sohne badges from the 1920's or 30's.

Tim
      "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

It's not the ONLY one he ever got right, still my favorite and still available to the discerning collector:

A most unique silvered badge which was worn by workers at the Kaiser Wilhelm Kindergarten (KWK). While I know little of the Kindergarten, I am making an assumption that it was operated for well-to-do children. The badge is oval shaped within a wreath of leaves. The initials KWK appear within the wreath and the second "K" is reversed in a very eye catching manner.

Comment

Thanks, Tim. It, too, was slammed by Wolfe and others at the MAX, but I always liked it. Collecting these Zepps reminds me of my bad `ole Nazi days when a dealer would poopoo anything that wasn't coming out of his case. As I've said, Wolfe has one unmarked for sale for $5,000. At SOS I'm going to ask Steve for an autographed photo of me holding his pricey sausage, just don't anybody say my shoelace is undone....

Comment

Well,

While you are posting Rittmeister links, he has this Juencker badge like Ferg's.

http://derrittmeister.com/productpages/11399.htm

I agree that the Army badge looks good and also I like the look of the Navy one. Steve

Comment

Wow, apart from knocking my CEJ, we practically have a consensus on the Glaser...

But what about Juncker badges with serifs?
              Last edited by J. McCabe Bell; 01-15-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

John,

I never knocked your badge. I remarked that it got good reviews at the GMIC and wondered why it was being knocked here. Fortunately, this has turned into a great thread on Zep badges. Steve

Comment

Derritt's Zep badge

Hi Steve/ John etc.. sorry to correct you Steve,but the Juncker Marine zep badge shown on Derritt, site is definately NOT the same as mine it is IMO questionable. Different pin and catch,800 silver, and if you look closely the outer edges do not show the characteristic marks of the shear cutting proceedure. I would say cast from an original as the edges viewed from the back are 'soft'. The Juncker logo is also different ,I don't want to get into the serif/non serif on the J argument but that logo is one I have seen on many fakes,the Berlin is lower down than normal. Ferg1

Comment

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
                    John,

I never knocked your badge. I remarked that it got good reviews at the GMIC and wondered why it was being knocked here. Fortunately, this has turned into a great thread on Zep badges. Steve
                    They are "gentlemen" over there. Discussion is at best limited. You cannot disagree with Stoogieman or you violate gentlemanly behavior. You go along, you get along or you get out.

Comment

At the risk of sounding gentlemanly, Steve, sorry to seem like I was pointing a finger at you....just making a point that with all this healthy difference of opinion its instructive when many people can agree on a point--e.g. my CEJ bad, Glaeser good!

Mr. Smith, where are those pix of the attributable badge you promised!

One thing that I always wondered about. Why have I NEVER seen a "GODET style" badge, except for stickpins like this? Has anybody got one and wants to risk posting it here?

Comment

John, that's a great photo, any idea who that guy is?

Comment

Good points Ferg. I see what you mean now.

Brian -

John - Fantastic photo. Is this pic from the early 20s? Seems like he could be found with the Saxon-Oldenburg mix of medals and a Navy Zep badge. Beautiful.

Steve

Comment

Zep

Hello,

Ferg1: here are the images that made for me reach my friend collector. He would be happy to receive your impressions. Beforehand thank you.

Cordial greetings.

Polux
                            Attached Files

Comment

Zep

reverse
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Vince--Saw the photo on eBay. I think Rick R nailed the ID but I can't find his posting at GMIC...

What a handsome badge, enough to make me sorry I don't like crowns any more!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X