X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Steve.

A friend in Dresden just sent me this link

http://www.medaillenmuenze.de/index.php?site=imp

Glaser is still around--the firm was founded in 1868--over 5 generations of medal makers. It is spelled without an umlautt...

He's going to drive by and see if there is an archive dept. !!!

Here's some canned history from their website...

Die Anf******228;nge – Von der Gr******252;ndung zur Bl******252;tezeit (1868 – 1914)

Die Firma "Glaser & Sohn" wurde am 1. Januar 1868 von Moritz Glaser und seinem Sohn Richard Glaser gegr******252;ndet, wobei erste Arbeiten auf diesem Gebiet bereits seit ca. 1851 ausgef******252;hrt wurden. Das als G******252;rtlerwarengesch******228;ft gef******252;hrte Unternehmen hatte seinen Sitz in der Borngasse 5 in Alt-Dresden (nahe dem heutigen Pirnaischen Platz). Die Produktpalette der damaligen Zeit umfasste Gravier-, Pr******228;ge- und Stanzarbeiten f******252;r Massenartikel, ein Emaillier-Atelier und Wappenmalerei, au******223;erdem Studentische Waffen- und Coulerartikel wie leichte S******228;bel und Florette sowie Ehren-, Vereins- und Festzeichen. „Glaser & Sohn“ stellten damals Medaillen und Plaketten bedeutender Dresdner und ausw******228;rtiger K******252;nstler in mitunter erstaunlicher Gr******246;******223;e her. Ab 1896 nahm man auch die Produktion von Orden und Abzeichen auf (z.B. den Albrechtsorden f******252;r die K******246;niglich S******228;chsische Ordenskanzlei, Verdienstorden sowie den Maria-Anna-Orden). Die hohe Qualit******228;t der Produkte, Zielstrebigkeit und Flei******223; sowie mit Weitsicht get******228;tigte Investitionen in die neusten technischen L******246;sungen brachten der Firma schnell Erfolge und sowohl national als auch international einen ausgezeichneten Ruf. Zur Betriebsausstattung geh******246;rten unter anderem eine in Deutschland einzigartige automatische Reliefgraviermaschine, eine 180 Tonnen- Friktions- und Kurbelpresse sowie eine Pr******228;gemaschine mit einer H******246;chstleistung von 30 000 M******252;nzen t******228;glich. Vor Ausbruch des Ersten Weltkrieges war die Zahl der Mitarbeiter auf ******252;ber 30 angewachsen.

Die Zeit der Weltkriege – Technische H******246;chstleistungen vor der Zerst******246;rung (1914 – 1945)

Den Ersten Weltkrieg ******252;berstand das Unternehmen relativ unbeschadet. Zum 50j******228;hrigen Firmenjubil******228;um 1918 trat Johannes Glaser (Sohn von Richard Glaser) als Teilhaber in die Firma ein, starb aber bereits ein Jahr sp******228;ter an einer Lungenentz******252;ndung. So ging die Leitung der Gesch******228;fte 1920 an die Tochter Martha R******246;mer und ihren Mann Richard R******246;mer, der bereits seit 1907 im Unternehmen t******228;tig war. 1924 verstarb Richard Glaser nach langer Krankheit, seine Verdienste um die s******228;chsische Pr******228;gekunst wurden landesweit gew******252;rdigt. Bis zum Zweiten Weltkrieg florierte das Unternehmen und arbeitete sowohl technisch als auch k******252;nstlerisch auf h******246;chstem Niveau. Es wurden sogar eigene Maschinen entwickelt und gebaut. 1940 gliederte man Glaser & Sohn in die Leistungsgemeinschaft Deutscher Ordenshersteller ein. 1941 wurde Hans R******246;mer (Sohn von Martha und Richard R******246;mer) zum Mitinhaber der Firma. Mit Beginn des Zweiten Weltkriegs verschlechterte sich die wirtschaftliche Lage des Unternehmens auf Grund von Rohstoffknappheit und Versandsperren zusehends. Diese Zeit wird zum traurigsten Kapital der Firmengeschichte. Bereits 1943 fiel Hans R******246;mer an der Ostfront bei Kamenka. Zum dramatischsten Tiefpunkt kam es aber in der Nacht der Bombardierung Dresdens am 13.Februar 1945: Das Stammhaus auf der Borngasse wurde dabei nahezu vollst******228;ndig zerst******246;rt. Firmenchef Richard R******246;mer fand unter den Tr******252;mmern den Tod
    Last edited by J. McCabe Bell; 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Hi John:

The Glaser badge certainly looks good, and I'm happy it's back in your hands. As for Richard's badge, the test results are compelling, but I'm flummoxed as to why both it and my "Meybauer" are so markedly similar (disregarding the unique Kaiserkronen), and yet my badge, which I believe to be a cast copy, is actually larger.

Needless to say, I remain

Charles

Comment

After reviewing the more detailed pictures of the Glaser, my conclusion remains the same - I think it's a perfectly good period example with honest wear.

As for the Walter Schott, I still don't know what to say. I have to admit that the use of a different material for the crown seems to be something a faker wouldn't bother doing. So....

Tim
        "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Thanks, Tim, Charles...and to think I almost dumped this because Steve Wolfe poo pooed it. Hope to see some of you in Louisville. We should take a group photo next to the $5,000 Zep badge...

This thread has helped me refine what to look for! Thanks to all. Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
            Hi,

One question on the hallmark. As far as I know, the man who designed this badge (the "fec." part) was named "Walter Schott" - the badge was not necessarily MADE by Walter Schott (which would probably have the abbreviation "ausf" instead of "fec"). Why does this striking clearly show only one correctly formed "t" in Schott? It is know from the U-boat badge markings that the bottom of the first of the two "tt"s in Schott has snapped off the stamp - that is why the top stroke of the "t" is disproportionately long to the left and there is only a little "notch" where the first "t" downstroke was). So if they made a new stamp, why didn't they get his name right - assuming he WAS also the designer of the zep badges (Was he?? - otherwise the "fec" is incorrect)?

Regards
            Mike
            I can't get past this comment... The new stamp is perfect no 't' missing there.

The Glaser looks nice.

Comment

I agree, and it really knocked the wind out of my sails. However, I will be at the SOS.
              Regards,

Charles

Comment

A Zeppelin postscript from SOS...

1. Steve Wolfe had one solid Zep badge with no maker's mark and a greenish coloured wreath. I was wrong about the price being $5,000...it was $ 6 , 5 0 0 ... ...but, as he explained to me, "These things go from 4,000 to 7,500." The badge looked good, too, so save your shekels.

2. I showed the incused Junker badge to several people I trust (and without Zep badges for sale). One owned his own foundry and did casting for 20 years. Everyone of them, after close inspection with a loop, said this was clearly not cast. The shear marks and (insert other technical mumbo jumbo here) indicate it was definitely die struck. Andreas Thies says it probably belongs to that murky category of badges from the late 20s when we don't really know what they were doing. He made me an estimate I couldn't refuse and it's going in his April auction if any one undergoes a conversion. It is the only cased badge of its kind he's seen in his life. I will put the Glaser with Linnarz's things.

3. I also saw another Schot very similar to the one here.

Rgds
                John

Comment

Just in case anybody is interested; Carsten Baldes is prepping a new book on these and is seeking out some originals to include. Here's the link:
                  fliegertruppe.org - Carsten Baldes
                  Tim

Comment

John,

I did say that it was just my humble opinion, didn't I? I still like the Glaser better than the CEJ badge, but if Thies thinks it's close enough, then there must be something to it.

It's interesting that you mention that green lacquer, as that hasn't even come up in any of the discussions here. These badges were originally green lacquered, or at least they were supposed to be. Lacquer is very soft and tends to come off easily, so it's no surprise to see badges from the period with no green left on them, but I can't help but wonder if some makers left them unfinished.

I finally got the BDOS Jahrbuch, and the article in there about zeppelin badges is very interesting, but probably doesn't shed any new light on the examples pictured in this thread. It shows front and back details of two Army and two Navy badges, none of them maker marked. Judging from the style of pin, at least one of the Army and one Navy badge are Meybauer. The Meybauer Navy badge has a small crown that is struck in one piece with the badge. The other Navy badge has a "coke bottle" pin, and a large crown that is separately attached to the badge. All of these badges have only small amounts of green lacquer remaining, if any.

Tim
                    "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

See Lot 238

http://www.andreas-thies.de/pdf_32_a...n_S193_288.pdf

Just to emphasize, Thies said the badge was NOT cast.

Rgds
                      Last edited by J. McCabe Bell; 04-16-2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X