No announcement yet.

Verbandsabzeichen-Arm Shields of the Bundeswehr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A close up of the cuffband as worn by the Heer aviation units.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is another example of a hand embroidered arm shield. There are some variety in what you can find in hand embroidered arm shields. The ones like those posted by Uwe and others which are thicker and more heavily ebroidered using metallic thread. The example below is on a generals uniform.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by acmer View Post
        I have Der Reibert too, I just don't remember it very often It has Horst Köhler in it so it's probably post-2004. You can clearly see that many badges are not there anymore.

Page 11

Page 12, 13

I don't have a scanner so the quality is not the best.

Sometimes there are "handgestickt" versions of arm shields in ebay. I thought they were like some other items: you can wear them even in combat if they are approved and not government property. It has been a while since I read about it, but I think you were allowed to have white striped shoulderboards if the jacket and the boards were your own and the unit commander allowed you to wear them (or something like that). In issue-clothing you had to wear the black striped versions.

Nice to know that there might be variety in hand-made badges too.

A page that I use regularly: http://www.rk-limburg.de/rklm/die_bw...pengallery.htm
        acmer - It's amazing how much the patches changed in just a matter of five years. Thanks for providing the update.

TJ

Comment

Gents - Here are some early Verbandabzeichen from the
          1.Luftlandedivision.

TJ
          Attached Files

Comment

More recent examples. The one on the top left is bullion; on the top right a commercial/foreign copy.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM. Reason: Additional text

Comment

Operational patches worn during the various deployments to the former Yugoslavia.

MND = Multi-national Division North
              IFOR = Implementation Force
              SFOR = Stabilization Force
              KFOR = Kosovo Force

Division Salamandre was a Franco-German unit.

TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

Here are some of the newer patches that Gordon mentioned earlier.
                Attached Files

Comment

Close-ups of the Dutch-German & Franco-German unit patches. The Latin motto of the Dutch - German Corps translates into English as "Together We Are Strong". More information on this unit is available at the attached link.

http://www.1gnc.de/mission/mission.htm
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM. Reason: Additional info added

Comment

High quality from the Home Defense Commands.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Patches worn at the NATO Army Group level.

The lions represent CENTAG; the tomahawks NORTHAG.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Insignia associated with the ACE Mobile Force.

I've seen Bundeswehr Soldiers wear the patch both on the upper left sleeve and the right breast pocket (not simultaneously).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 05-06-2009, 07:22 PM. Reason: Additional text

Comment

These patches are of commerical manufacture.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                            Here is another example of a hand embroidered arm shield. There are some variety in what you can find in hand embroidered arm shields. The ones like those posted by Uwe and others which are thicker and more heavily ebroidered using metallic thread. The example below is on a generals uniform.

Regards,

Gordon
                            Beautiful example!

Comment

Originally posted by acmer View Post
                              I'd like to know the regulations on wearing them in Heer. Clothing items they are worn on and their positioning, occasions, special badge/rank limitations, eras...

I'm sort of a practical collector and I don't want to keep my stuff locked in a closet. Most of the items I have I've worn when hiking or just biking around. Verbandsabzeichen are still a small mystery to me and I don't want to wear them wrong
                              Do not wear them if you ever come to Germany. It is an offence, unless you are both entitled, and on duty. (up to 10 years prison and around the thousand Euro mark in fines.)

ALWAYS mid way between elbow and sleeve on the left arm on work clothes, cammy, Bordjacke, etc. JUST below the shoulder seem on dress uniforms.

On dress uniform ALWAYS. Other uniforms depend on the commanding officers preference.

Now we have velcro patches, where they can be removed when in the field, or the camoflague equivalents used.

The army tend to use these more than the nmavy and airforce. The army will stick them on virtually anything from cammy jackets to shirts.

This is becoming more normal with the navy and airforce, but we have lot of catching up to do.

There are also small enamelled versions which hang from the breast pocket.

A lot of these, particularly the territorial defence brigades are out of use because their units are in mothballs. For example the Navy no longer have Tornadoes. So all those units badges are no longer seen. Panzer and Panzer Grenedier units were hit the herdest. Along with the "big" ships, such as "Rommel", but also many S-Boot squadrons are in mothballs.

Originally posted by acmer

Sometimes there are "handgestickt" versions of arm shields in ebay. I thought they were like some other items: you can wear them even in combat if they are approved and not government property. It has been a while since I read about it, but I think you were allowed to have white striped shoulderboards if the jacket and the boards were your own and the unit commander allowed you to wear them (or something like that). In issue-clothing you had to wear the black striped versions.

Nice to know that there might be variety in hand-made badges too.
                              Spot on. Within reason. There are also "Regimental", ship, squadron traditions.

Some U-Boot crews are allowed to wear the "Sword fish" which was often seen on WWII Boats. But not on full parade uniform.

There are so many rules we have to remember I can not go through them all from the top of my head, but when someone asks I can normally dredge up the relevant regulations.

Comment

Wow, a lot of info in short time

I wish we had threads like this for all insignia of BW.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X