No announcement yet.

BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi sorry the flash was OTT on the pic of the sholderboards...here's a pic without flash...

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
    Rank of Grenzjäger in the 50s-60s not have white arrows around the edge, which were first on boards of Grenztruppjäger (until late 60s, when they eliminated the completely green boards). But these look a little odd to me, could be the lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by austromunga View Post
      Hi sorry the flash was OTT on the pic of the sholderboards...here's a pic without flash...

Thanks! I agree that the color looks a little wrong for BGS, but it is hard to tell from a stand alone picture. I don't think it is Polizei, but it could be possibly be Forst or a non-governmental group (veterans, shooting club, etc.). That said, it might be BGS

I doubt the underside has any clues, but maybe a picture of it will help?

Steve

Comment

a few pics of the underside as requested..

Comment

overpainted BGS, M53 pattern, helmet

Hi, mates !

Received some, (West-) German, Police-, and, Bundesgrenzschutz, (BGS), –helmets.

Wanna show you an, official, (re)painted, (partial, peeled off, worn, varnishing was mended officially), M35/53 of the Bundesgrenzschutz.

Interesting, also the inner surface of the helmet was (over)painted down to the brim of the liner with the, ("roughened" !), BGS –green !

The liner is marked with a ball pen.
          The writing says: West 2
          (BGS-Abteilung) West 2, Standort Goslar, eine Einheit des BGS- Kommandos West)

The meaning of "West 2" is:
          "Grenzschutzabteilung West 2"
          (BGS detachment West 2, Goslar garrison)
          BGS detachment West 2 was an unit of the BGS command West.

IMO a heavilly worn pot, but, still collectible !

Best regards,
          R.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Reibert-Austria; 03-05-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

2.):
            Attached Files

Comment

3.):
              Attached Files

Comment

4.):
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by austromunga View Post
                  a few pics of the underside as requested..

Well, that certainly is consistent with BGS. I dug out one of mine from the era and I can see how a flash would distort the color significantly. Now that I've seen the back and compared to one of mine, I'd say you have an original BGS set. Well done

Steve

Comment

Cheers for the clarification Steve!! The fact that they are un- issued and have that new sheen doesn't help!!!
                    I'll fit them back to their now permanent home!!!

Comment

Gents,

I am not sure if this image dated 22 NOV 1966 depicts a BGS man or a Bavarian Border Policeman.

What do the experts have to say?

Thanks,
                      TJ
                      Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

I would say polizei rather than BGS.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

BGS or Police?

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                          Gents,

I am not sure if this image dated 22 NOV 1966 depicts a BGS man or a Bavarian Border Policeman.

What do the experts have to say?

Thanks,
                          TJ
                          Definitely NOT BGS! (wrong uniform!) But a nice MP Beretta 39/49!

Best regards

Reiner
                          Last edited by ReinerMB42; 03-27-2017, 04:18 AM. Reason: additional Information

Comment

Brown ASTRA-Holster

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                            I thought to have seen one in a German collection once, but I can not find the photos anymore. It is logical, that they existed. The brown SIG holster is very rare too though - mine is only third one I have seen and first one I found for sale.

Regards
                            Klaus
                            My question was answered: I´ve won the mentioned ebay-auction, and the Holster that came was not a SIG, but a brown ASTRA! Some Idiot cut off the Belt straps, and (another one?) cut two slits for a Belt in the backside. But it has a nice "PP Berlin G.B."-stamp inside it!! That makes 2 Points: brown Berlin equipment & brown ASTRA-Holsters do exist.

Best regards

Reiner

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                              Gents,

Definitely not BGS, as others have said. The two probable options are:

- Bavarian border guard
                              - Zoll (Customs)

Both used the same type of rank badging. However, of the two there are only two ranks that are blank. The Zoll rank is for a fairly senior position, so definitely not applicable to this young guy out on patrol. The Bavarian 1965-1974 rank is for Polizeikommisar Anwärter, which is the rank held by the equivalent of a NCO in the process of becoming a 1st Lieutenant. That seems to fit this picture pretty well, I think.

Unfortunately we can not rely on the colors in the picture, but I can say that the green color is definitely consistent with Bavarian uniforms of this time period. I do have a picture of the green jacket with the same rank on it with the Bayerische Grenzpolizei badge clearly seen on the right sleeve. The earlier version was gray, or perhaps it was a field variant?

So my guess is this is a Bavarian border guard in the mid 1960s through mid 1970s.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Much obliged!

All the best,
                                TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 143 users online. 0 members and 143 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X