BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

I was hoping someone could help with dating BGS uniforms and insignia. Maybe we could start by posting the major changes in uniforms and the years the changes took effect. I for one would like to know when and if the BGS placed the BGS insignia on the sleeve of the camo uniforms?

pat

Originally posted by VPpat View Post
    I was hoping someone could help with dating BGS uniforms and insignia. Maybe we could start by posting the major changes in uniforms and the years the changes took effect. I for one would like to know when and if the BGS placed the BGS insignia on the sleeve of the camo uniforms?

pat
    Pat - A tough area to research, I'll see what I can dig up this weekend.

Take care - TJ

Comment

Thank you, I was thinking this would be a good start/thread for a BW forum but maybe not. hahaha

Comment

can anyone post an orig BGS M-43 style cap in camo. Can anyone give advise on telling the diff between an orig and repop

Comment

VPpat,

Yes the BGS wore their insignia on the cammo coat they wore. It was on the pocket of the left sleeve. Hard to get one of these items of clothing in good shape as they were normally cut up pretty badly before disposal. Mine has been resewn so is not pretty but still in one piece. One day I must get n uncut one. They are available. I don't remember the BGS wearing a camo M43 style hatd per se. Just the normal cloth one but I'll go through my archives and see what I can find.
          Thanks for starting a BGS thread. I was going to start one but just never got around to it. Its long over due.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Genosse,
            The BGS i guess wish to stop their insignia falling into our hands, which is a pain, I have a Combat Jacket, sans Insignia but with the pocket!, the BGS normally just cut the damn flap right off! .

This practice maybe finishing as now BGS stuff is not so sans Insignia as before.. .

Comment

I have an early pattern (1950s) BGS wool M43 Feldmütze on the way in mail. It is in grey wool (not later green) and has functional flaps - later ones had fake flaps that are solely for appearance. I can post photos when it arrives if anyone wants.

Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

Pictures of the early BGS feldmutze would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Hi Guys
                  here is my BGS cammo complete! dated 68?

Robert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

thanks for pic's. Is the tag dated 1968? Also Gordon, the reason I ask about a camo M-43 is because someone posted a pic of one in the BW posting. The BGS man was wearing full camo; hat, camo and pants.

pat

Comment

I find the early BGS (and to lesser extent Bundeswehr) items very interesting. I have switched over from collecting East German to collect them. In addition to the M43 cap, I just won an early BGS officer's Schirmmütze on ebay last night! In a week or two, I will have plenty of goodies to post on here.

Klaus

Comment

Great can't wait to see them, I also have a few items coming in and will post them ASAP.

Comment

Pat,

I guess you are talking about post #56 on the BW Lovers thread. I'd forgotten about that particular picture and unfortunately that is one of the books I do not have with me. Can not say that I have seen a period picture of this cap in wear. That would be nice. Since there are no pictures of the interior of uniforms or uniform stamps in Petersen's book we can not place a date on the cap. If someone has a cap like the one in the picture please post a picture of the makers tag inside.

Klaus,

Glad that you saw the light and switched over to BGS stuff. I have collected both East and West German militaria for some time.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gents,

Pat's original idea for the thread was to set up a reference for the different types of uniforms worn by the BGS, the dates they changed over from one to the other and probably when and what insignia was in use. Since no one seems able to do that so far. I am going to start with the oldest BGS uniform that I have that is not in storage. According to the "Bekleidungswirtschaft im BGS", whom I contacted in June of 2004 when I acquired this uniform, it was worn from 1952 until 1971 when they changed uniforms. They are a bit off the mark here as my tunic is dated 1976 and pictures in "Der BGS Geschichte der Budespolizei" by Reinhard Scholzen indicate it was still in wear in 1980. They did comment that it was an authentic uniform as worn by a person in the rank of Präsident. At the time I contacted the BGS about this tunic there were only 5 men who held this rank. I do not know how many men held that rank in the 1970s but iwas possibly less (4) as when East and West Gemrnay reunited a new BGS area of Grenschutzpräsidium Ost was created that included most of the old East Germany.
                              Some comments about the tunic pictured. All of the buttons on the tunic are period except for the left breast pocket and possibly the shoulderboards. It is quite likely that some previous owner bought this as a "stripped" tunic and tried to put the correct insignia back on it hence the three newer buttons dating from later BGS general officers uniforms. The "eagles" on the shoulderboards do not belong there according to the BGS clothing office. They suggest they may be early cap eagles as the BGS never had this type of insignia. This is a distinct possibility but since they were not correct in their original communications I have left them where they are. In any event, if I were to remove them the imprint of the eagles would remain as they have been there for some time. There is faint evidence of where the gold embroidered arm shield has been removed from the tunics left arm. Now, on to the pictures.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X