BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johan S,

More photos. Like Klaus, I didn't notice the large rectangular repair at the back of they jacket. Anyway, here is my jacket with the shoulder "cape" not sewn down. It is sewn for a small amount in the centre of the "cape" part. You can actually see where it w as originally sewn on the pictures of your jacket. I would suggest that you remove the stitching, except for the original small section in the centre of the "cape" piece of material.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Having further inspected the patch, I want to say that it is an extremely large patch which was made to cover up several small vertical cuts which were made during the demil process and not a field repair.

This gives me the option to either remove the patch and get a large strip of spare material or leave the patch on and resew small parts to enable the webbing to go through. I'm more partial to the second option because as of now, I can't confirm with complete certainty that the patch isn't there for a good reason.

Johan

Comment

You could do that, but given the amount of work that involves I'd advocate going with a new purchase. You'll never get the jacket you have looking original without a massive investment of time and you still need to get matching condition cloth to make it convincing. For roughly $45-$65 you can have one without demil problems. They aren't quite as common as they once were (I've had probably close to 3 dozen over the years) eBay always has a couple for sale at any given time. Though you're always better off to look at www.ebay.de instead of US eBay.

Steve

Comment

Gents,

I thought this picture would be of interest.

Note the live rounds worn "bandelero" style and the exercise band worn around the helmet. He appears to have a "coconut" canteen at his left hip. Wearing your ammo belts like this just about guarantees they'll get dirty and cause a stoppage. This guy appears to be soaked (especially his pants, I can just make out the camo pattern) and beyond caring.

The tree in the foggy background makes his situation look a little more forlorn.

I'm glad those days are way behind me!

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
            TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

nice photo, TJ!

He must wear his canteen attached to the jacket d-ring, which is first time I have actually seen it used! Because it is earlier jacket, there is only one on the left side.

Regards
              Klaus

Comment

Klaus,

Great observation! I never would have noticed that myself.

All the best,
                TJ

Comment

I'm with Klaus on this... I don't think I've ever seen the D-Ring in use before! Obviously it was so useful for the 1st Model jacket that they put two D-Rings on the 2nd Model

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=austromunga;7113263]Hi all heres a few pics of my BGS camo ensemble display... still work in progress!!!... still need... buttons, pebbled, 17mm and rank sholder boards....and also the correct BGS water bottle and cover!!

Just an update on my BGS display!!
                    now have correct "Y" strap, breadbag, waterbottle cup and cover, shoulderboards and buttons... also picked upsome BGS marked straps for the Zelt ...a later rain cape, a woollen scarf (bund marked), another set of shoulder boards with "pips"!!... a schiffen (minus cocarde!!) , a pair of woollen winter Green trousers, an officers M43 style cap (silver braid piped) and finally... a beret!! (might be police)..... still in need of the correct shovel and black leather cover, oh... and an appropriate Zelt !!..slowly getting there!!
                    mainly thanks to you guys!!!

Last edited by austromunga; 11-05-2016, 12:28 PM. Reason: missed pictures

Comment

nice progress, almost there! The Zeltbahn would be strapped to the belt and not breadbag though. Canteen worn often on left side and messkit on right. Shoulderboard chevrons on front side point toward collar, but it appear to be unmatched pair (it can be hard to find matched pairs). Schiffchen could go with the uniform, just need 60s/70s woven Kokarde for it.

The officer cap not go with the black leather gear or the rank boards shown. Would be interested to see photo of the inside and date (if present) though.

Regards
                      Klaus

Comment

I have extra sets of shoulderboard for the different grades Wachtmeister ranks if anyone wants to get a set

Comment

Thanks Klaus
                          ok so are the shoulder boards Handed?? as i also have some spare "pips" somewhere.... that better match both types present...

for some reason the beret pics didn't show?? so here they are.....and some pics ...I think...with the date for the M43 style cap??...so was it worn with the brown leather??... rather than the black!!?? as I think I also have a brown belt...

Comment

both pairs of shoulderboards look like they are 2 of same side unfortunately. For officer display, you would need officer rank of course... officer field gear is brown leather belt, holster and map case. Only see a few photos with pouches for a weapon (MP), not carry the breadbag, etc. Cap label look like earlier style, but not see date.

Beret is style introduced in early 80s.

Regards
                            Klaus

Comment

Thanks again Klaus!!
                              for the info on my BGS display... I think the rank on the jacket is ok as the chevrons face the collar on both sides!!...
                              I have some other rank boards...unfortunately the are the later large tab type so don't fit!!

Comment

Originally posted by austromunga View Post
                                Thanks again Klaus!!
                                for the info on my BGS display... I think the rank on the jacket is ok as the chevrons face the collar on both sides!!...
                                I have some other rank boards...unfortunately the are the later large tab type so don't fit!!

Very nice !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X