Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEK helmet "M38 -Pattern"

Hi !

Wanna show you this helmet, (as far as I´m told by the seller ...), former worn by an SEK, (Sondereinsatzkommando), -member, had partaken at the hostage-taking of Gladbeck in August 1988, (3 casualties).

Due to noise attenuation a "self made" rubber-"band", (probably made by an bicycle inner tube ?), was attached upon the rim of the helmet.

IMO a honest, worn, Police helmet !

Best regards,
    R.
    Attached Files

Comment

2.):
      Attached Files

Comment

3.):
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks great to me! Would be even better if the story of who used this specific helmet could be proven. Regardless, I agree the rubber looks like it was worn during service, which seems to be a SEK practice and not GSG-9.

Steve

Comment

I know, normaly we should not made reklama for own auctions, but i think here are some interesting thing for BGS colectors...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/152134775146?...84.m1558.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by friede View Post
              I know, normaly we should not made reklama for own auctions, but i think here are some interesting thing for BGS colectors...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/152134775146?...84.m1558.l2649
              Whoa congratulations on hitting that price tag, I was actually following that auction since a couple days ago when the price was only around 50 Euro. A side note is that I actually used your photos as references since I just came into possession of a BGS sumpftarn jacket and needed to know what types of pants could be worn with it. Thanks to your two auctions I went out to grab a pair of surplus einsatzhosen today (hopefully in the right colour too ).

One question for you experts out there, my jacket is one of the repaired surplus jackets which was cut up and repaired. For some reason I don't seem to have any openings on the back for the webbing suspenders (also have a BGS version of this), but I have the openings at the chest pocket. Were mistakes made during the repairs or do I have a different version of the jacket from the ones in the pictures posted on this thread?

Do forgive me if this is a bit of a noob question, but I am still quite new at collecting German equipment and only started when I found the jacket for a very good price at my local surplus shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan_S View Post
                A side note is that I actually used your photos as references since I just came into possession of a BGS sumpftarn jacket and needed to know what types of pants could be worn with it.
                Auctions are not good sources of information on their own. Items can be mislabeled, misbadged, mismatched with other items, etc. This is such a case The trousers are an incorrect match for the jacket, though I'm sure some were worn unofficially. The correct trousers for the 2nd model jacket (with the flap on the arm) is one of several styles of Einsatzhose in BGS ranging in color from gray-blue to very dark green.

One question for you experts out there, my jacket is one of the repaired surplus jackets which was cut up and repaired. For some reason I don't seem to have any openings on the back for the webbing suspenders (also have a BGS version of this), but I have the openings at the chest pocket. Were mistakes made during the repairs or do I have a different version of the jacket from the ones in the pictures posted on this thread?
                Yeah, that does sound odd. There should be two slots in front and two in back. If you can post some pictures maybe we can help make some sense out of it.

Do forgive me if this is a bit of a noob question, but I am still quite new at collecting German equipment and only started when I found the jacket for a very good price at my local surplus shop.
                Everybody has to start somewhere Yup, the 2nd Model jackets are pretty easily found and usually not for very much money. The ones without any damage and good colors are, however, a bit more money. In the above referenced auction the bidders were likely bidding pretty much for the trousers only and considering the other stuff as extras. Good condition trousers are difficult to get, especially with their original buttons (which the one in the auction does not have, BTW).

Steve

Comment

Here are some pictures of my jacket, the back was slashed and repaired and flap for the left arm pocket was cut off during the demil process:

I'm thinking that someone was extremely diligent in stitching up all the holes and accidentally stitched up the back flap in the above picture. My question is, should I remove the threads and open it up or leave it as is?

As well, here's what I've managed to procure so far, jacket and webbing harness are BGS issue I believe, belt and cap are repro. One interesting thing is that the cap is made by a "FB" company in Germany which I was unable to find information on (if anyone has information, I'd appreciate it) and has a cotton liner on the inside, unlike other repro caps.

What I've learned after reading the thread on moleskin uniforms is that the pants I bought were type 4 BW pants although that's not much of a problem as I also bought a BW moleskin jacket.

Finally, I'm in the process of getting BGS issue magazine pouches and flask so I should be able to get at least a facsimile of a BGS patrolman's uniform going with the end goal of slowly transitioning to a full BGS issue kit. I'll probably get a BW issue bread bag and mess kit as placeholders as well since I've got to finish the BW uniform as well.

Comment

The jacket still have the back slits for the ystraps, it look like someone sewed the shoulder area to the jacket, which is why you could not use them. Siegmund Stephan Miltaria sometimes has the cut off sleeve flaps with insignia for sale, if you want to attempt repair.

None of the fake caps are anything like originals (yours included). Originals are made of uniform material and not Zeltbahn material, and have peak reinforced with 5 lines of stitching and only 1 vent on each side. They are very rare, took me several years to find mine.

Regards
                    Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                      The jacket still have the back slits for the ystraps, it look like someone sewed the shoulder area to the jacket, which is why you could not use them. Siegmund Stephan Miltaria sometimes has the cut off sleeve flaps with insignia for sale, if you want to attempt repair.

None of the fake caps are anything like originals (yours included). Originals are made of uniform material and not Zeltbahn material, and have peak reinforced with 5 lines of stitching and only 1 vent on each side. They are very rare, took me several years to find mine.

Regards
                      Klaus
                      Many thanks for your reply, I've known about Stephan Militaria for quite a while, but I'm going to wait and see if the Euro drops before ordering.

Would anyone be able to send pictures of what the flaps should look like on both the outside and inside of the jacket? I have the proper equipment to break and remove threads, but am still not too sure if I should attempt destructive and irreversible actions. The problem I have found is that the big rectangular piece on the back is actually sewed over where the webbing should go through as well so any reference material or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Johan S,

I have a jacket that was cut like yours and I managed to buy a new flap for the arm but have never gotten around to putting it back on. I'll look for it and post pictures if I can find it.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Johan S,

Back with the pictures. Now I remember why I did not sew the pocket flap to the jacket. There was not enough material. If you buy a pocket flap that has been cut of a jacket it will fit into place using the velcro. Not possible to sew it back into place and make it look normal. Here is my pocket flap on and off the jacket.

Regards,

Gordon
                          Attached Files

Comment

#2,
                            Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for the pictures, what I forgot to clarify was that I needed pictures of the flaps for the webbing on the back.

Comment

not sure why I missed this before, but the reason it is sewn down is because the rectangle of repair material, which was applied and sewn through both layers. If you cut the stitches, it will probably come apart. If this is period repair or cover up more demilitarisations is hard to say.

If you want to display with equipment, then you will need to fix it. Only thing I can recommend is to remove it and resew, without to go through the jacket.

Regards
                                Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 85 users online. 0 members and 85 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X