BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
    the badge is actually embroidered directly to similar moleskin backing like the jacket (not hbt), although they may have used bevo badge sewn to a backing by early 60s like Steve mention. i have photos of one somewhere. I have one of these tunics and the correct patch for it - far right in photo:

Regards
    Klaus
    reading back the discussions of the last weeks I got really catched on the matter "arm patch"
    ...so I wanted to give my contribution with what i have among my things.
    Here is a picture of my Drillichjacke dated 1966. The Jacket is brand new/unissued and untouched:

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek View Post
      Gentlemen,
      I would like to share another 1972 Parka just aquired!
      It's complete and very nice!
      Kind regards Chay
      Chay,

I also have a parka dated 1972 and it has the same features as yours...I refer to what Steve noticed: the sloppy stiching of the badge.

In the picture I compared it with the more even stiching of the patch of my 1971 Fieldjacket:

Here again a detail of the 1972 Parka:

Comment

Last but not least I compared my two Mehrzweckanzüge....

The older one is obviously the dark green one, which has been issued in 1975 while the Moosgrün suit is dated 1981 but they both have the same cut and the same features (number of pockets and their position, kind of buttons and so on...)

Unfortunately the picture does actually not show the real difference between the two green shades ....

Interesting is the backing of the Patches of the dark green one. Both arc and shield are sewn on Drillich.....

Cheers,

Alex
        Last edited by comune1aclasse; 12-03-2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Alex,

The HBT backed badging on your 1975 Graugrün jacket is very interesting! Quite a surprise to me, that's for sure. In fact, I'm not sure I've seen the arc on HBT cloth before.

On the previous page you can see that other jackets, from around the same time, have standard bevo badging. I wonder if yours is the result of an early run using up old badging?

Now, as for this one...

It's very difficult to tell from one picture, but I think I see signs that this badge was put on after it was surplussed from the BGS. Something doesn't look quite right about the stitching and thread color, but I also think I see signs of the original stitch marks. It's very, very, very common for the badging to be replaced by collectors because they rarely go onto the market with their original badging. In fact, I am restoring a 1975 Graugrün jacket right now that still has its paper manufacturer's tag on the sleeve, but both badges have been carefully removed. The BGS were pretty consistent about removing badges. I've had to remove a few poorly done replacement jobs myself.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I never observed the details you mentioned ...as a matter of fact you are right....I bought this Drillich jacket two or maybe three years ago at the weekly flea market am Mauerpark.....the seller had several of these...all with patch....

Following your hint I checked the inside and actually it 's clearly visible that this is not the first patch whichhas been sewn on that sleeve..... although it is disappointing...(I would lie if I would not say so), I think I am not gonna remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by comune1aclasse View Post
              Chay,

I also have a parka dated 1972 and it has the same features as yours...I refer to what Steve noticed: the sloppy stiching of the badge.

In the picture I compared it with the more even stiching of the patch of my 1971 Fieldjacket:

Here again a detail of the 1972 Parka:

Good morning
              The badges you show are different

Comment

another thing to consider is, that the earlier Drillich jackets had no sleeve patches or other insignia. They not start to add them until the mid-60s (moleskin was different case, but they use the badge i posted earlier). Both of my 2 Drillich jackets never had patches.

Regards
                Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by comune1aclasse View Post
                  Following your hint I checked the inside and actually it 's clearly visible that this is not the first patch whichhas been sewn on that sleeve..... although it is disappointing...(I would lie if I would not say so), I think I am not gonna remove it.
                  I'm sorry I was right, but you are doing the right thing! I've purchased many BGS items with incorrect or improperly stitched badges on them. The BGS were very thorough at removing them, so it is normal for the original ones to be missing. The problem with replacing them is you need to have a large number of badges in your hands so you can find the right one. The differences are too small to notice on eBay, so you really do have to purchase many badges at many times in order to have enough to sort through.

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                  another thing to consider is, that the earlier Drillich jackets had no sleeve patches or other insignia. They not start to add them until the mid-60s (moleskin was different case, but they use the badge i posted earlier). Both of my 2 Drillich jackets never had patches.
                  Excellent point! I have two and one never had a badge and the other clearly did have a badge. Like the one above, my badge was incorrect and incorrectly sewn on. Like comune1aclasse I removed the wrong badge. I'm pretty sure I put the correct type on instead.

I'm sure some of the earlier types had badges added when the BGS changed its regulations. Just like on the Sumpftarn parkia they went back and added the arcs. So in my opinion if you have a jacket with signs of a badge long ago removed, I say put a badge back on. It is usually impossible to hide this signs of a badge anyway.

Steve

Comment

Gentlemen
                    I forgot I had this, Halt and enjoy!
                    I will post up photos as soon as the Parka arrives I believe the badges are different to the Sumpftarn jacket !
                    Regards Chay
                    Attached Files

Comment

BGS Schiffchen ?

Hello everyone, I would like your opinions. I spotted this on ebay, and although it wasn't labeled as such - I bought it thinking (and hoping) it was a BGS schiffchen / garrison cap (pictured above standard BW cap):

Thanks,
                      Steven
                      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! Yup, that's a 1969 dated schiffchen.

Steve

Comment

Steven, thanks for the welcome and the information.

Comment

Gentlemen
                            Here’s a newer version in green!
                            Regards Chay
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's the fairly hard to find type used in the 1970s through, I think, very early 1980s. I suspect the badging was replaced, though it is the right type. The reason is the spacing of the thread on the eagle shield is too dense and it should be white and not green. I've not encountered this sort of stitching before and for sure my two examples (both with removed badges) had standard spacing.

As stated earlier, the BGS was extremely consistent about removing the badges prior to surplussing. The majority of the examples out there were acquired from surplus sources, therefore the majority out there lack original badges. The only ones with original badges would be from veterans who didn't turn their items in. I do not think that is a large number because the items were controlled at the time they were used (i.e. a BGS member would get in trouble if he didn't turn in his kit when done with it).

Steve

Comment

Steve
                                Splendid, I will photograph it when it arrives I hope like you say it’s not a Frankenstein job otherwise it’s for the dustbin.
                                Regards Chay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X