X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
    along with a service number (?).

"1537723"

Going back over this thread I came across T.J.'s great M1 carbine pouch! I am still in the market for one! To go with my 5-digit Inland! Just for info T.J., the number on the inside of the pouch is actually more than likely the weapon's serial number. A common practice for BGS and Polizei.
    Last edited by sgtmonroe; 10-19-2009, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
      Gents - While we're on the subject of old style officer's uniforms, I thought I'd throw this into the mix.

Any thoughts as to what kind of the badge the gentleman to the rear is wearing.....BDR sports badge?

TJ
      I need to pay more attention when I read through these threads! T.J. the gentleman in the rear does have the "sports badge" on his tunic. But what impresses me is the officer in the foreground! None other that Willi Langkeit...the 348th receipient of the Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz [Knights Cross received on 09. December 1942 and oakleaves on 07. December 1943]. The image is obviously pre-1957 [the gentleman in the rear has no collar tabs and Langkeit is not wearing a ribbon bar with his post-1957 approved Wehrmacht awards].

Langkeit was a Panzeroffizier [his final rank was Generalmajor der Panzertruppe] during the Second World War commanding the infamous Großdeutschland regiment during the last two years of the war. After the war he was part of the Bundesgrenzschutz from its beginning in 1951 and obtained the rank of Brigadegeneral im Bundesgrenzschutz in 1965. He passed away on 27. October 1969.

I have an image of him somewhere [post-1957] wearing all his approved Wehrmacht awards on a ribbon bar; I'll try and dig it up. Meanwhile, here are some wartime images of this "soldier's soldier":

Last edited by sgtmonroe; 10-19-2009, 05:30 AM.

Comment

sgt monroe,
        I always assumed splittertarn jacket was some type of winter jacket (they are usually in winter photos) and not smock. But this is probably because I have only seen two for sale - one before I collected BGS and another that was damaged (cut down front). The splittertarn helmet covers were made from splittertarn hoods that were issued with Zeltbahnen (but not attached to them). I have one and will try to post images tomorrow evening.

Any information about type of binoculars BGS carried in 1950s? I have tried to find such information in German and English, but with no luck.

regards
        Klaus

Comment

Here is comparison I did of different camo patterns from collection. From right to left, is Wehrmacht Zeltbahn (1937), BGS hood for Zeltbahn (undated), 2. Model BGS jacket (1959) and BGS Zeltbahn (also 1959). It appears that new form of sumpftarn was introduced around 1959, at least for Zeltbahnen?

I do not have any later BGS-Sumpftarnmuster or any Wehrmacht examples, so I can not make complete comparison.

regards
          Klaus

Comment

Here is my 2. Modell Einsatzjacke, dated 1959. This model adopted 1958 and worn until 1960s. The hood is missing, but I will find one on ebay.de sometime. Jacket is almost unworn condition. No sleeve eagle in 1950s on camo uniforms. Many period photos in late 1950s show no shoulderboards on jackets in field, although buttons are visible in close photos.

The back was split by BGS, but has been repaired by previous owner. Normally no back seam. Interesting that only ring and loop present, on opposite side from later models (and from breadbag).

Stamped "Vulkan V/59 BGS" - early jackets are stamped, not labeled. Black threads are where name label was sewn.

Comment

Example of splittertarn hood I received. Undated, but from early-mid 1950s. For wear with Zeltbahn in bad weather, but snaps in front, not to Zeltbahn (tuck under head hole). Like other impractical equipments, soldiers soon found better uses for it...

...like helmets covers. It is obvious from loose outline that this was what was used, not some unit-tailored item.

In wear, ca. 1953 (see post #57). From photo posted by TJ in Bundeswehr thread a long time ago. Sometime I will recreate the kit of the Zugführer in photo, after I locate a couple items.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...r+lover&page=4

Comment

Just a quick post following up on some earlier information. This information is gathered from a new text I ran across about the history of GSK West/Mitte [from 1951 through 1959]. The text gives alot of dates of BGS activities and these jumped out immediately:

07. Juli 1953 - the Rundbundbluse is to be officially replaced by a Uniformrock on the orders of the Bundesinnenminister. This was initially a "polled" request and 95% of the BGS grenzers stated they would rather have a "tunic" instead of the "Ike jacket".

04. Juni 1954 - the new Uniformrock is officially introduced into service and the Rundbundbluse is no longer to be worn [even though it is well into 1955]. The Schirmmütze is also adopted on this date as part of the "walking out" version of the new uniform system.

? 1954 - the new BGS-Stahlhelm is officially adopted [M35/53]. One of the reasons given is the Wehrmacht helmets have become brittle due to age and damage very easily!

03. Oktober 1956 - the FN-Gewehr is officially announced, by the BMI, as the replacement for the Kar98k.

02. August 1957 - the new tunic is introduced with Kragenspegiel - the tunic fabric is slightly different than the 1954 tunic. As of Mai 1957 Kragenspegiel are to be applied to all 1954-pattern tunics.

The new "Einsatzanzug mit Tarndruck" [Sumpftarn camouflage uniform] is trialled in 1957 but no official adoption date is given.

I will post more info later.

Comment

Here was something else included in the text that I found interesting. The following is the Grundausstattung [basic issue] for a BGS-Grenzjäger. The list is dated 06. Februar 1952:

-1 Bergmütze
                  -1 schwarzer Selbstbinder
                  -1 Rundbundbluse [sog. Eisenhower-Jacket]
                  -1 Keilhose mit 1-Knopftaschen
                  -Wollpullover
                  -2 grün-graue gewirkte Diensthemden [sog. Gummihemd]
                  -1 Paar Schnürschuhe
                  -1 Paar schwarze Halbschuhe
                  -Unterwäsche, Wollsocken, Sportbekleidung mit Laufschuhen
                  -1 Regenmantel mit ausknöpfbarem Futter

...and the following individual equipment:

-Stahlhelm
                  -Patronentasche [mehrteilig]
                  -Leibriemen
                  -Tragegestell [sog. Bonner Hosenträger]
                  -Zeltbahn mit "Zeltbesteck"
                  -Kochgeschirr und Feldflasche
                  -Brotbeutel mit Essbesteck und Fettdosen
                  -1 Satz Bürsten, Wäschebeutel, Signalpfeife, Schließkette

Comment

Originally posted by sgtmonroe;3585867
                    03. Oktober 1956 - the [I
                    FN-Gewehr [/I]is officially announced, by the BMI, as the replacement for the Kar98k.
                    This may be the reason why the composite pouch for the G1 is such a rere item. The rifle was adopted late in 1956, the first leather pouches date to 1957. So there may be only one first batch of pouches purchased in late 1956 to equippe the first units getting their G1...

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Should anyone be interested in the "Insignia" side. I just did a recent update on my BGS page and thought I'd share. I am expecting more UNMIK insignia in soon.

Andrew

http://www.huntzmanpatches.com/germa...zei%28C%29.htm

Comment

very nice jacket , pants are not easy to find

Comment

I have a smock style splinter pattern jacket with the pants. I post them soon

Comment

BGS Cammo field trousers

I have this pair of trousers in my modest BGS collection . Could anyone shed some light on its likely vintage ? Currently posted overseas so cannot take any newer pics until next leave !

Thanks

Steve W.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Been a while since I could add anything to this thread. Lets go now to something less glamourous than the cammo stuff. A BGS shirt I received a few weeks ago. Made from a dark green very soft knitted material. A pull over shirt with a two button neck. A collar with out points that curves back from the neck opening. A long shirt with a slit on each side at the bottom. Single button for the cuff of each sleeve. All the buttons are made of plastic. Other than the fact that it is a BGS shirt I have no information on it. What can you tell me about it?

Regards,

Gordon
                              Attached Files

Comment

A closer look at the collar.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 44 users online. 0 members and 44 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X