BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jens,

I agree with Klaus. The lower left eagle is probably fine for a Sumpftarn jacket or parka of the 1970s. Perhaps even as early as 1967. More on that in a second.

The one on the right is almost for sure used on shirts and possibly post 1978 Mantel (great coat). The first set you have is perfect for a post 1978 jacket.

Here are two pictures to show SOME of the different badging used over time:

In the first picture you can see two samples on Sumpftarn. These are definitely older, perhaps 1967 and 1968. Maybe later, I really don't know. I also don't know when they started to use the badge without the gray felt background. However I think it was definitely used on Sumpftarn at least as early as 1971. Maybe earlier.

The second picture shows various badges used from 1950s through 2000s on non-Sumpftarn uniforms. Note the difference sizes!

Steve

Comment

O.k. ! Thanks for advise ... so I´ll have to match it all up out of a pile of insigina...and look around for some stuff to back up the eagles for jacket and parka as I only have eagles without such a backing. The shown above set in green wool fits best to the tunic!

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Gents - I got this big bag of BGS stuff from Manions some years back in a vain effort to locate the correct tab for my third model BGS Sumptarn smock.

As you might have guessed, the tab I needed was nowhere to be found. My loss however, could be your gain. If you need any of the items pictured here, PM me and I'll hook you up. All of the rank insignia is of the sew-on type and like the rest of the insignia, appears best suited for use with a dress uniform.

I'm not looking for any money out of this deal, but hope any takers would keep me in mind for future trade considerations.

All the best - TJ
        Attached Files

Comment

The tab I'm looking for is approximately 3 1/4 inches long.

It would appear as though the tab and the eagle shield were applied at different times. The tab was sewn on with a straight stich, the shield with a saw-tooth stitch.

Thanks - TJ
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a full view of the tunic. It's in very good condition and will look great on a mannequin once it's badged up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a close-up of the maker label.

Thanks - TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                Gentlemen,

Been a while since I could add anything to this thread. Lets go now to something less glamourous than the cammo stuff. A BGS shirt I received a few weeks ago. Made from a dark green very soft knitted material. A pull over shirt with a two button neck. A collar with out points that curves back from the neck opening. A long shirt with a slit on each side at the bottom. Single button for the cuff of each sleeve. All the buttons are made of plastic. Other than the fact that it is a BGS shirt I have no information on it. What can you tell me about it?

Regards,

Gordon
                Gordon - I have an undergarment as well that I haven't had out in a while. What strikes me as odd is the characteristic BGS epaulette arrangement on the shoulders. Why would anyone put this on an undergarment?

By no means as elegant as your "sleeper shirt", I'm wondering what information you and the community could furnish me with on this odd garment.

Thanks - TJ
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is a close-up of the collar label. There are no BGS specific markings on the shirt.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A close-up of the collar.

Thanks - TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

I don't believe these garments are undershirts. They are actually shirts. They resemble the long shirts worn in the Wehrmacht in style. Klaus mentioned that he had seen them worn under field tunics, if I remember correctly. In the summer they could be worn without a jacket and having provisions for shoulder boards on them makes a lot of sense to me. They would certainly be comfortable to wear because of the fabric they are made of.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

TJ,
                        I think the olive ones are early Bundeswehr, but that is only guess - only photo evidence for ones with Gordon's colour worn by BGS. I have two olive shirts like yours but no shoulderboard attachments, so this could be individual modification?

regards
                        Klaus

Comment

I agree with Klaus - beside the loop and button construct its a 100% BW Nato-Nachtemd - the first model of the Feldhemd .

@TJ: I would be interested in 3 set collar - tabs ...

Jens

Comment

Gentlemen,

I was going to mention that the loops and butttons were probably an individual addition. Seems that lots of things were done in the BW in different units that were not standard throughout the BW. That may be the case with TJs shirt. From what was said above, I would gather that the BGS shirt and the BW shirt, while similar in design, were a different colour. Interesting to know.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gents - Thanks for weighing in on this subject.

The oliv coloration helps the case for the BW Nachtemd but why the elaborate button arrangement? The BW wears a slip-on style shoulder board in the field.

The buttons are mismatched. One is an "oLc", the other is by FLL. Maybe the product of a Wehrmacht re-enactor? It's mysteries like these that keep things interesting....

Jens - I'll send the collar tabs out this weekend.

Anyone have an extra small sized tab they're looking to unload?

All the best - TJ

Comment

TJ,

I have a ton of tabs in various conditions and colors, most pretty good matching pairs. PM me with particular needs.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 40 users online. 0 members and 40 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X