BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kees,

The cuts in the back of the BGS jacket are done every time one of these jackets are disposed of. They usually cut off the pocket cover to remove the badges as well.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Yeah that's a standard damage to find, many jackets were destroyed when they went out of service. This one actually isn't too bad, especially repaired like that. Many are missing the entire armflap too, good that this still has it with both patches!

Comment

Even with the repairs it still looks ten times better than a Sturm repro.
        A real "vintage" look shall we say.
        Thanks for the replies.
        All the best,
        Kees

Comment

I've had a couple of dozens of the 1967-1976 jackets and parkas in my hands over the years and have seen far more than that on eBay listings. There's lots of variations in the way the BGS demilled these uniforms, but here are the three main ones:

1. Cuts to the back and slashes to the arm pocket flap with badging still present
          2. Cuts to the back and arm pocket flap cut off
          3. Arm pocket flap removed, no other damage

Interestingly, a fair number of jackets and parkas slipped through without any damage at all. I've had examples that were well worn, others brand new. My guess is that when the BGS decided to discontinue camouflage entirely they didn't feel the need to spend money on demilling. I base this theory in part on the seemingly disproportionate 1975 production examples I've seen with no damage.

There are also far more demilled jackets and parkas out there than undamaged ones, but patience and watching eBay closely can pay off. It did for me

Steve

Comment

Gents,

Here's a nice study of a Frontier Policeman. I'm not sure if he's BGS or one of the Lander forces. I don't think I've seen a belt like that before.

It must have been very hot on the day the picture was taken as his pants and shirt sleeves are rolled up and his expression is tired.

What do you make of the sidearm?

Thanks,
            TJ

Scan_20200810 (49).jpg

Comment

Here's a full-up forced march with the coconut canteens at he ready. I haven't seen many pictures with the shelter halves rolled up in this manner.

Thanks,
              TJ

Scan_20200810 (40).jpg

Comment

I also seldom come across pictures of armor crewmen in the full leather protective gear.

TJ

Scan_20200810 (30).jpg

Comment

TJ,

Great photos. Especially the leather clad armoured vehicle crew!

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                    Gents,

Here's a nice study of a Frontier Policeman. I'm not sure if he's BGS or one of the Lander forces. I don't think I've seen a belt like that before.

It must have been very hot on the day the picture was taken as his pants and shirt sleeves are rolled up and his expression is tired.

What do you make of the sidearm?

Thanks,
                    TJ
                    TJ,

this man is from early 50s ZGD. Zoll also wore Bundeskokarde on cap, so can look similar to BGS in early photos, but his equipment is not BGS. Belt is from British P-39 leather gear (leather version of P-37). These appear surprisingly in some early Zoll photos. Series of early 50s photos sold earlier this year on ebay.de and several men had P-39 belts. Tunics were mix of West German model and converted WW2 ones, so must have been very early 50s.

Klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus,

I knew you'd be the man to crack the code on this guy. I appreciate the information on the British web gear. I had no idea that leather versions were made as well. Is his sidearm a P-38 / P-1?

Many thanks,
                      TJ

Comment

another hint for Zoll is pleated pockets and no epaulettes. The early BGS green shirts have epaulettes, Zoll shirts not. Not sure what pistol for holster, not very good with ID of these and Zoll used several pistols in early years (only know Astra 600 was one, but not know the others). Bottom seem a bit wider than P38 holster? Photo is definitely before P1 production started.

Here is another early 50s Zoll photo, that show British P-39 belt (from recent ebay.de auction). Converted WW2 tunic, so must be very early.

Klaus

zollfrüh2.jpg

Comment

Klaus,

Great Zoll photo! Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X