No announcement yet.

West German Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are pictures of my helmet, only too bad it doesn't have rivets.

Cheers,
    Michel

Comment

Michel,

The only sure thing we can say about this helmet is that it was made post war. The VDNS64 is a post war makers mark. Since the rivets are missing we can not even say that the liner that came with the helmet is correct. Anyway, for what you paid for it you have a post war helmet as a comparison for others you may buy.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Michel - Very interesting helmet. I've never seen a post-war "salt and pepper shaker" helmet in Polizei/BGS green before.

VDN / VDNS = Vereinigte Deutsche Nickel-Werke, Schwerte (or Nickel und Stahlwerke)

Have you considered posting it on the Wehrmacht Helmets forum? You're bound to get some interesting feedback over there.

All the best - TJ

Comment

I believe this was used in the 70's.
          Has alot of wear and many scratches.
          I am guessing these are common

Comment

Greg,

Yes this type of helmet is common. From the pictures you posted I do not see anything out of the ordinary on this helmet.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

...at the moment this type of helmet - called "Helm Bodentruppen Modell 1962" - is still relatively common. If you scroll through german ebay you´ll find helmets of this type, but most BW helmets on ebay today are of the later type with the modified webbing.

Jens

Comment

Greg - Thanks for showing us your lid. It's well appreciated here.

I am sure Jens has given the proper designation, but I've also seen it described as the Helm, Bodentruppen, Modell M1A1 or Helm1A1. I believe this translates as "Helmet, Ground Troops, Model M1A1."

I picked up this blurb some time ago, I apologize for not being able to supply the attribution:

"...the helmet was made from magnetic nickel chrome steel and came in three sizes: 66, 68 and 71 (for head sizes 53-55, 55-7 and 57-61 respectively). It weighed between 1.2-1.4 kg., and had a v50 of 275 m/s.

The bodies were marked VDN, PSL (Paul Schulze, Lubeck) or SW (Schuberth), the linings were by Römer (FJ 60) and Schuberth (I 60)."

I believe WAF member Klaus1989 reported that the tension-sensitive clasp found on the single canvas chinstrap was designed to release under explosive concussion to prevent the wearer's head from being blown off.

All you need now to complete this increasingly hard to find relic of the Cold War is a helmet net (“onion bag”) with metal fastening clips or a camo cover made from the hoods of the Kampfanzug Modell 1959 and/or Amoebatarn shelter half.

Here's one with the "onion bag" and Amoebatarn cover.

All the best - TJ
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks,you guys are awsome. You Know your stuff.

Comment

quist dn473 post war or wartime??

Comment

Well gordon i finally got where i can show some shots of this supposed kriegsmarine quist, so is it wartime or post? no side markings on inner skirt, only in the back (nape of neck)

Liner was partially replaced before i got it....

Comment

markings in back skirt

Looks like a very faint 64 after the Q

Comment

right side inner

zilch for markings

Comment

same for the other side..

Comment

juoneen,

Looks like a war time helmet to me. I sugest that you post it on the WAF Helmet Forum for a better appraisal.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

and the back marking at a distance

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X