No announcement yet.

West German Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like some info on this decal if anyone knows its origins. I am guessing this was used between 1955-60. Any thoughts? Boarder patrol?Police?Kindergarden cop?

Most of the examples of post-war helmets I have seen have very light wear and are usually in good condition. They do appear to be getting more rare though.

Comment

Looks like standard Berliner (West) Bereitschaftspolizei helmet from late 1950s or 60s/70s. These were barracked police units with paramilitary training and armoured vehichles/infantry weapons and in Berlin, they were the closest, that West Germans had for an army there, because Bundeswehr not allowed to be stationed there. Sometimes called "M53" to distinguish from postwar M35 types. Decal looks later addition, like some faker try to make it look like Spanish Blaue Division helmet. Westberlin never used decals for their police and the several states that did, have very different ones.

Here photo in wear on patrol with American military police in 1960s:

Regards
      Klaus

Comment

Greg,

I agree with Klaus. This looks like a blue post war polizei helmet. Probably for PPBrln. This is not a decal that I recognize as being from any West German state. Closer to Kindergarden kop as you suggested

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Thanks for replies guys

Its all part part of history

I did not want to remove decal in case it was a provincial or state decal I had not seen yet.
          What kind of dollar value is in this type of helmet?

Comment

I sold one for $114 a couple years ago, but it was a size 66. Normally around $75-$100 is more realistic, because they are common.

Comment

Greg,

There has been one at $100.00 on ebay.com for several weeks without selling.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I dont sell many items and I wouldnt part with any WW2 helms. And this one could go with my other helmets to show the evolution of design. This is my first with this type of liner system.

Comment

Greg,

Sounds like a good decision to me. The post war helmets like this one were made of a lower grade of steel than the WWII ones. At first they had air vents in the side the same as the WWII helmets. Then for a short span of time they made helmets like yours without any air vents before going back to the original design. Your helmet is a good example of the evolution of the M35 shaped helmets.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I'm pretty sure that decal can be removed without diminishing value. The only ones I've seen on helmets are standard Polizei shields, which includes the limited number of cities that had their own forces. Such as Hamburg. This is not a decal from one of them. On the other hand, it is identical to Spanish Blue divisional shield as worn during 1942 time period.

Here's a few good pictures to compare against:

http://www.militaryheadgear.com/items/5294

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that decal can be removed without diminishing value. The only ones I've seen on helmets are standard Polizei shields, which includes the limited number of cities that had their own forces. Such as Hamburg. This is not a decal from one of them. On the other hand, it is identical to Spanish Blue divisional shield as worn during 1942 time period.

Here's a few good pictures to compare against:

http://www.militaryheadgear.com/items/5294

Steve
                      I suggested this decal earlier is fake Spanish volunteer. I have seen all types of fake decals on non-repainted police helmets on ebay. They will not fool most people!

Technically Hamburg and Bremen had Landespolizeien, because they are "city states" (Stadtstaaten). But some of the Stadtpolizeien in a couple places had helmets with decal. These are always on left side and not right. The helmets were worn by Stadtpolizei rarely, if ever.

Some West German police units also wore M53 helmet with vents (still no rivets). This was probably a later thing. I have only seen Berlin helmets of postwar M35 (mostly early) and M53 (most common).

Regards
                      Klaus

Comment

Yup, my post was to agree with your initial feelings I have pictures of a Hamburg helmet with stickers (or sticker?) on it, so I thought I should mention yet more possibilities that are ruled out.

When I see a post war items that has hints of a wartime look I always assume it's a fantasy item until proven otherwise. Reenactors, unscrupulous dealers, "hack" collectors, theatrical costume designers, etc. have had nearly 60 years of attempting to make things look like something they are not. That's a lot of people over a long period of time!

Steve

Comment

I have seen several dealers with early Berliner Bepo M35 helmets in olive (before the blue, I think early-mid 1950s?) and someone posted one in this thread, but now I see for first time also M53 olive helmets on ebay.de. Someone must have sold old stocks of them recently.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BGS-Polizei-S...item27ca70a47b

Comment

Hello, I have a quick question about post war Quist helmets... did Quist make their postwar helmets in a shell size 60?? Thanks
                            Last edited by myddrcaps; 02-11-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Comment

I received this M53 helmet from dealer in Germany recently. I thought it could be BGS, but not sure (won it cheap). Seller was in Schleswig-Holstein and their police used same I53 liner system. Were the ventless helmets even used much by S-H or mostly with vents? Most other Bundesländer had different liner.

The helmet colour matches some early BGS articles, that I have in colour (grey-green). The dark green paint came in late 1950s/early 60s, so this colour possible. Paint is typical rough texture,like for WH and BGS. Stamped LS 64, so size 64 shell from Linnemann u. Schnetzer - mostly a police helmet maker (most BGS seem from Quist, but not all?).

Sorry about cameraflash.

The interior view with liner (adjustable size 53-57).

Regards
                                Klaus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X