West German Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gents,

Some years back on the International Military Forum, we had a big debate on Austrian helmet covers.

When the dust finally settled, we agreed that the helmet covers that occasionally turn up with Austrian dot camo on one side and splinter camo on the other, are "fantasy" items, that is, they were never issued or worn by the Austrian Bundesheer.

Well, the picture below might open up this can of worms again. If you look closely at the helmet of the MG3 gunner, you'll see that his helmet cover is made of, you guessed it, Austrian dot pattern camo.

It's also interesting to note that the Greni on the far left is wearing a U.S. Mitchell pattern helmet cover. These saw widespread use with the U.S. Army and Marine Corps during the Vietnam War. They were also issued to the Canadian Forces assigned to NATO units in the BRD during the Cold War.

I dumped my Austrian dot camo cover when I found out it was a fantasy piece. Now I'm kicking myself

When will I ever learn....

All the best,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting picture! I must say those moleskin pants look awfully uncomfortable here; the man in the middle is getting a serious 'wedgy'!

Gene T

Comment

Interesting to see the Radio Pack in action. Last week I found one of them in my Storage.
        Does anybody know's for what Radio it was used?

Comment

Ah, Austrian helmet covers Officially the Austrian BH did not have helmet covers or hats in camouflage. But in the 1970s, when the uniforms were still worn for field exercises as OPFOR, many hats were made by military tailors. Probably some helmet covers too.

Which gets us into a bit of a problem. The "genuine" ones were made quickly and cheaply from Zeltbahns. Which means pretty much anybody can make one, or a thousand, that is technically as "genuine" as those worn by BW soldiers. This is the same situation as BW Amöebatarn made from Zeltbhans or Splittertarn covers made from hoods.

If I see a helmet cover with rust stains, tears, and holes worn through around the front edge of the helmet... I am inclined to think it is genuine. Otherwise not.

Steve

P.S. it seems the Austrians did experiment with camouflaged hats in the 1960s. I've only seen a couple that appear to be genuine. They are made from the same one sided material as the uniforms and have BH acceptance stamps in them.

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post
            Interesting to see the Radio Pack in action. Last week I found one of them in my Storage.
            Does anybody know's for what Radio it was used?
            Nico,

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say SEM 70.

Steve,

A good observation on the helmet covers, as pertaining to signs of use.

All the best,
            TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
              Nico,

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say SEM 70.

Steve,

A good observation on the helmet covers, as pertaining to signs of use.

All the best,
              TJ
              TJ,
              thanks a lot for the Info.
              Nico

Comment

Maybe I can shed some light on the "Tarnüberzug" (camocover) question by showing the instruction sent out by the HBA Heeres Bekleidungs Anstalt
                on how to fabricate helmet covers from phased out camo clothing and tents
                by using this template.
                unfortunately it is undated , but helps us to -at least-accept some of these covers as half-official issued ...
                Credits for the pics go to the late Herr Baer who was the author of a very informative two volume book on austrian helmets.
                Hope this helps.

Best regards

Bernhard
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                  Gents,

Some years back on the International Military Forum, we had a big debate on Austrian helmet covers.

When the dust finally settled, we agreed that the helmet covers that occasionally turn up with Austrian dot camo on one side and splinter camo on the other, are "fantasy" items, that is, they were never issued or worn by the Austrian Bundesheer.

Well, the picture below might open up this can of worms again. If you look closely at the helmet of the MG3 gunner, you'll see that his helmet cover is made of, you guessed it, Austrian dot pattern camo.

It's also interesting to note that the Greni on the far left is wearing a U.S. Mitchell pattern helmet cover. These saw widespread use with the U.S. Army and Marine Corps during the Vietnam War. They were also issued to the Canadian Forces assigned to NATO units in the BRD during the Cold War.

I dumped my Austrian dot camo cover when I found out it was a fantasy piece. Now I'm kicking myself

When will I ever learn....

All the best,
                  TJ
                  I served in 1992/1993. I used a mitchel camo as well (on my own). The flecktarn-Covers were not usual at this time so I decided to use one from my collection

Comment

I was in the Bundesheer from 07/82 untill 02/83 and never ever saw any camo helmet covers at all.
                    Here a pic from me and my good ol´Steyr 680 from 1982 !

Regards

Bernhard
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bernhard View Post
                      Maybe I can shed some light on the "Tarnüberzug" (camocover) question by showing the instruction sent out by the HBA Heeres Bekleidungs Anstalt
                      on how to fabricate helmet covers from phased out camo clothing and tents
                      by using this template.
                      unfortunately it is undated , but helps us to -at least-accept some of these covers as half-official issued ...
                      Credits for the pics go to the late Herr Baer who was the author of a very informative two volume book on austrian helmets.
                      Hope this helps.

Best regards

Bernhard
                      Bernhard,

Thanks for the interesting page from one of Baer's books.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                        P.S. it seems the Austrians did experiment with camouflaged hats in the 1960s. I've only seen a couple that appear to be genuine. They are made from the same one sided material as the uniforms and have BH acceptance stamps in them.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=Bundesheer

Comment

My fellow collectors ,

I could not resist showing you a pic that I took in my front yard
                          some years ago.
                          It shows how well the old austrian camo pattern blends into the surrounding brushes.
                          I remember that it was not my intention to try this out ;-)
                          My only intention was to hide the "easter nest" containing some sweets for
                          my daughter the "military" way.
                          So i simply wrapped the easter nest into an austrian zeltbahn and here you can see the -quite impressive-camo effect.

Best regards !
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bernhard,

Great input as always.

Many thanks,
                            TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                              The next helmet will have the decal of the Hansestädte Hamburg. This police force, and that of Bremen were the only two that wore different decals on opposite sides of the helmet.
                              Found that one at a fleamarket last weekend:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X