Opinions on British cap badge please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy,
    I don't own any of these badges so am probably not too much help, but personally I would buy the first two if offered. I like the Dorsertshire a lot, especially the fixing tag at the top and it also has loops which I would have through be correct of a 1900 era badge. If you search elsewhere on this forum you'll find a thread about the various Dorsershire badges and there's one of these shown.

With the Northamptonshire one the only reservation I have would be another rare maker on the slider and given the history of a few others in this collection it would cause me some concern and I would thoroughly examine it's fixing to make sure it's not a replacement. Also there is no sweat hole on the name overlay although I can't ever remember seeing one on a Nortamptonshire badge other than the 'regimental castle/long key' turn of the century one.

Prices seem reasonable for these two, but I'm competely in the dark on the Poplar one, the loops look like electrical accesories!

Keith

Comment

Poplar Badge

K&K Volume 1 lists all the WW1 Volunteer Training Corps badges of which this is one. They were the WW1 version of the Home Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
        2. The blue felt backing has little or no age. No staining/grime or even any sign of a chemical reaction where it has touched the badge.
        Steve,

A very good point here and one well worth looking out for. I finally got hold of one of these for £20 yesterday, unfortunately brooched but soon rectified. After taking it apart the blue felt clearly showed the outline of the Arms of the City of London from the w/m central portion, plus residue of white polish in the recessses at the rear of the badge behind the circular plate.

Many Thanks,

Keith

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X