Opinions on British cap badge please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the rear

The rear of the badge.By the way, I am being asked for £38 for this badge?
    Thanks
    Andy
    Attached Files

Comment

Happy New year to everyone.
      Andy, Shame some of the high points are polished out on this badge. It looks right with the sweat holes to the rear, but having never seen one for real I can't comment any further. If it's any consolation I saw one very recently on ebay with a missing loop and being sold with another badge for about £35 and a couple of dealers were after it too. Also Wilkinson's book (1997 Edition) prices it at £45.

Good decision to pass on the 26th Hussars and until we get to the bottom of the Gaunt sliders, especially the B'Ham ones buying anything pre-1970's may be a risk.

Keith

Comment

I have compared my Yorkshire Regiment to yours. Looks good.

As keith has just pointed out this badge has been polished recently. I think the same alloys have been used but as you can see my example has more tarnish than yours which makes it harder to tell.

£38 does actually sound that bad, I could get £20 for a badge with both lugs missing 10 years ago.

This isnt a particulary rare badge. I would expect to always see a genuine example for sale at one of the major arms fairs.

Steve.

Comment

More pics

Thanks to you both for your comments. I think I will take this badge. There are still a few left and the next two are both for the Volunteers and both marked THOMAS FATORINI BOLTON.To be honest, the badges are alot nicer in person than in the pictures. The detail is excellent but there are a couple of things that concern me. Firsty, are your previous comments re Volunteer badges being all white metal.The East Lancs badge has a brass rose.Secondly,neither badge shows any decree of polishing? The seller is asking £40 each for these badges and your assistance would be very much appreciated.
          Thank you again
          Andy

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

the rear

the rear
            Attached Files

Comment

Dli

Next badge
              Attached Files

Comment

and the back

and the back
                Attached Files

Comment

Andy,

I can understand your concerns with both these two badges. Polishing and the brass rose to the East Lancs are certainly valid points but once again without K & K I can only refer to Gaylor who doesn't show either of these badges but other VB's of each. In which case using these as an example the plinth on the East Lancs ought to be blank and his DLI example showes the VB crammed inside the horn and strings. I only have a restrike 1st East Lancs and it's no different from yours other than the branded slider which brings me onto my main concern.

If I'd been offered both of these badges seperately it probably wouldn't have come into the equation but I think its unusual to see such a difference in slider length from one manufacturer in such a relatively short period of time. In the photos they also look to be braized off centre which for what I believe to be a very high quality maker unacceptable. Is is braize attaching them or solder which looks greyish once weathered. Maybe this is just the photos though and or course there is also the question should these era badges have loops and not sliders?

I think these may be either incorrect restrikes with real sliders from over a longer period attached, the easy option-scrolls applied to regulars, a combination of both or worst of all falsifed brandings.

Keith

Comment

Give those a miss mate

Steve.

Comment

thanks

Thanks Keith & Steve

I shall take your advise and pass on these two badges. I still have more to show and again your honest comments could save me lots of money. The first badge(Dorsetshire) is slightly out of shape which is not clear on the pictures and the Northamtonshire looks very polished on the scrolls.The third badge(Poplar) I would appreciate your comments on the fixings?What type of headgear were these made for.
                      Many thanks for all your help so far
                      Regards
                      Andy

PS prices quoted for these are as follows:
                      1:£22
                      2:£18
                      3:£32
                      Attached Files

Comment

the rear

the rear
                        Attached Files

Comment

Northamptonshire

Northamptonshire
                          Attached Files

Comment

Northamptonshire rear

Northamptonshire rear
                            Attached Files

Comment

poplar

poplar
                              Attached Files

Comment

poplar rear

poplar rear
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X