Opinions on British cap badge please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy,

Yet again it is so hard to comment when I`m not actually holding the badge.

.........But from looking at your photo of the VTC badge it does look good however upon closer inspection I dont the bodge job on the silder fixing. Sloppy solder and inaccurate positioning of a slider are never good signs.

Please dont be offended.....on many occasions I have tried to sell militaria to other collectors and dealers and I have noted that they will always be critical over any item.

Steve.

Comment

badges

Thanks Steve
      After close inspection through a glass, I believe the badge to be original and the slider a replacement. This has been very well done with no excessive solder but still a replacement.
      Please let me have your views on the next badge on offer, this is for St Lawrence College K & K 2676.
      this is a large group of badges I have on approval and could set me back quite a bit if I decide to buy. All comments are appreciated to assist me.
      Regards
      Andy

More to follow
      Attached Files

Comment

and the rear

and the rear
        Attached Files

Comment

Lets go back to the VTC badge for a second....

You think it is a replacement slider? I know for a fact that when these badges are repaired all that dull brown bronze finish has to be removed as the entire badge has to be heated otherwise your going to get a dry or brittle joint. If the badge is heated without the finish being removed your going to get a badge that looks very strange indeed.

This could be a contemporary repair I admit, but this badge is still a little suspect.

Onto your college badge......ARRRRRRRRGH the dreaded green of death! I hope that hasnt caused pit marks in that lovely badge? If that were my badge regardless of the fact that when the green has been removed it will reveal a shiny patch I would get to work with a sharpened match stick.

This one does look good however on the lug at the top I can see another very shiny blob of solder......another repair or where some of the dreaded green has been removed?

Steve.

Comment

next badge on approval-help please

This is another badge I am considering. This is the first time I have encountered this badge. I cannot find it in my books but something lurking around in my head makes me thing it has connections with Morris motors. Possibly a home guard badge?
            Any help on this badge would be very much apprecaited as it is not being offered cheaply.
            Regards
            Andy
            Last edited by andya; 12-19-2004, 05:45 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Comment

sorry wrong image

This is the badge.Sorry
              Attached Files

Comment

and the rear of the badge

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,
                  What a find that it...Militia I presume? Yet again another unknown (to me) manufacturer and fine detail. I can't fault it and I'd pull out all the stops to get this providing the price is right. I suppose one can always be suspicious that the 'M' could fairly easily be added to a regulars badge. Thats the only negative I have.
                  Keith
                  Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 12-19-2004, 06:26 PM. Reason: additional text

Comment

another badge

Thanks Keith

Yes I thought about the M's being added. To be honest, this is the only example of this badge I have ever seen and this helps me to believe its original.
                    This next badge I am not so sure about. Listed in Gaylors as Trial type-plate 5.
                    Please let me know what you think.
                    Thanks
                    Andy=
                    Attached Files

Comment

the rear

the rear
                      Attached Files

Comment

Andy,

Just to throw a spanner in the works here but a fellow collector has just pointed out to me that the Dorsetshire Regiment didn't have a 2nd VB. I've just checked in Gaylor and he confirms it !!
                        Keith

Comment

26 Hussars Badge

In my opinion the fact that their is Gaunt bham slider on it is a bad sign. The badge is the trial version for the 26th Hussars who were raised in india. As it was not adopted then this would make it exceptionally rare. However Gaunt did not use the Bham brand before the early 1950s when production moved from London. Looking at it I would say it is a restrike from when the original Gaunt dies were used to make copies in the 1970s hence the wrong slider.

also the Dorst VB badges have the Regular Marabout battle honour when the correct Territorial badges had a blank plinth. Keith has already made the point about the non-existant 2nd VB battalion. I wouold take them back to the dealer and make a scene!

Comment

Warcs Mm Badge

Originally posted by andy19
                            Andy,
                            I saw one of these for sale on ebay with the claim that they were a homeguard unit badge for a particular factory in the west midlands with those initials but I cannot for the live of me remember the name it could well have been Morris Motors. Unless you really like Homeguard or R Warcs I would not pay much for it as Keith's point about added on letteres is a good one. Unsubstantiated but a possible lead.

Comment

Andy,

I'm at a complete loss with Gaunt B'Ham branding and any guidance here would be more than welcome. Not much help I know but for the record here's my 26th Hussars which has loops instead of a slider.
                              Keith
                              Attached Files

Comment

another

Originally posted by Keith Blakeman
                                Andy,

I'm at a complete loss with Gaunt B'Ham branding and any guidance here would be more than welcome. Not much help I know but for the record here's my 26th Hussars which has loops instead of a slider.
                                Keith
                                Thanks Keith

I think I will pass on this badge. Not worth the risk for the money being asked. There are still a few more I need to decide on and this is the next. all opinions on originality would be very much apprecaited. These badges are not cheap and I cannot afford to spend lots of money on copies. I am just a poor builder. Happy new year to you all
                                Regards
                                Andy
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X