No announcement yet.

Opinions on British cap badge please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is probably a really dumn point...........but I always thought all Victorian/Edwardian volunteers cap badges were struck in white metal and sometimes silver for officers? They all are for the midland units which I collect. The main characteristic of all volunteer units from this period is the white metal fittings to their uniforms........everything down to buttons on the sleeves.

I am unable to comment on the Dorset volunteers as I only have the standard badge in my collection.

From the reverse of your second badge it looks as though it has been silver plated. Can you confirm this?

Regardless I have posted the reverse of my Dorset badge. Note the lack of holes. This is a 100% orginal badge showing signs of brown paint to the reverse. Not a badge converted for officers use but one dulled for trench warfare. In my opinion these badges are not accurate comparison as they arent even from the same period. Not sure what we can learn here?

Steve.
    Last edited by yellow; 12-17-2004, 06:17 AM.

Comment

This could be an orginal badge....here are my thoughts....and they are critical....

Has someone recently polished the front of the badge or had the badge in pieces not long ago?

1. The front has no patination at all......could just be your photo....or a recent polish.

2. The blue felt backing has little or no age. No staining/grime or even any sign of a chemical reaction where it has touched the badge.

3. The split pin looks rather crude. Ive seen a lot of badges held with pins all of them had custom made pins. Something I would expect from a officers private purchase item.

Ok........so everything I have said is negative so far concerning this badge but it is constructive critism only based on what I can see. Yet again its so hard to tell without actually handling the badge itself.

The price in my opinion is reasonable if it is a genuine badge however I would want some money off as the bronze finish has been removed from the font.

This is only a discarded blank, but look at that patination confirming it is period with out any shadow of a doubt.

Last edited by yellow; 12-17-2004, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Badge

Hi
        Many thanks for taking the time to comment. Firstly, ther camera flash has not helped. The badge is not as bright as it appears. I have this on approval with a view to purchase and cannot say if it has recently been taken apart. The split pin appears to be a standard pin which has simply been turned over at the edges. I have removed this to expose the back which shows a nice age patination. I can now see more clearly what you mean about the front.
        The blue felt in my opinion is a replacement piece. The price is negotiable as I intend to purchase a few badges from this person. Armed with the new information I will be haggleing the price. All in all, I consider the badge to be genuine but would appreciate any further comments. I will be posting other badges from the same source and again all opinions are appreciated.
        Regards
        Andy
        Attached Files

Comment

Andy,

From the back this badge certainly does look good. The pin could be a replacement?

You should try to haggle on price.....it is a shame someone has polished the front. Some none militaria dealers have a horrible habit of doing this to lovely bronze badges.

What I have already said are possible points a dealer would pick up on if you tried to resell this badge. One likes to think you are buying something you can get your money back on. But then again for another 20 pounds you could buy an Imperial Camel Corps cap badge.......I know which I'd rather have!

Steve.

Comment

Another british cap badge-opinions needed

Hi
            This is the next of a small group of badges I have on approval with a view to purchase. I have my own opinion on these badges but would appreciate yours.
            Regards
            Andy
            <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
            Attached Files

Comment

and the rear

and the rear
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve
                Would you mind posting a couple of your volunteer badges for comparison. I will go to the reference books re the metals used on the badges. With regards to the second Dorset badge posted,this is a white metal badge including the scroll. I have never cleaned this badge and now you come to mention it, it does look like it could of possibly been silver plated?
                Thanks again for the input
                Regards
                Andy

Comment

Hi Steve
                  I have not come across Imperial Camel Corps cap badge. Any chance of a picture.
                  Thanks
                  Andy

Comment

Andy,
                    I've never seen one of these in the flesh so to speak but as a warning there were a glut of them on ebay a few months ago, all officers bronze issues with tangs. My gut feeling with this badge would be to judge it on the others being offered, ie if you're happy with the rest of the collection then the law of averages would be that this one is OK too, especially if you have some idea of the history of the collection you're being offered. From the photos it's looks to be acceptable, but appears die stamped and not not cast like the majority of bronze badges. The photos also show a greenish/brown tint, almost like paint but that could be down to the flash. As mentioned earlier having not seen one I'm in the dark here.
                    Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith
                      this is the only one I have handled. To be honest it looks better in the flesh. I will post other badges from the same source and would appreciate your comments
                      Regards
                      Andy

Comment

This is probably a really dumn point...........but I always thought all Victorian/Edwardian volunteers cap badges were struck in white metal and sometimes silver for officers?

I think Steve makes a very good point here and certainly one I've overlooked. I don't yet have a copy of K & K and use Gaylor's book as my main guide. His chapter on Volunteer badges is a bit vague in explaining the metals of the badges in that he says "invariably the VB's wore w/m badges....." but when it comes to the individual descriptions is less clear: eg 2nd VB Welsh Regiment all white metal with oval plaque, 5th SW Borderers, all w/m etc, but when it comes to the 1st Middx, 2nd Norfolk...all wore their regimental badge.... He does mention the 2nd VB Manchester Regt retaining the bi-metal badge of regulars' pattern. All very confusing.

Andy's 2nd VB badge certainly doesn't look like a restrike and the fact that his 1st VB is also bi-metal would seem to indicate that the Dorsetshire VB's did have a bi-metal badge. As mentioned earlier my re-strike 1st is like Andy's other than the poor quality.

Keith

Keith

Comment

All,

Andy's reply to Steve crossed as I was tying out mine so my reference to Andy's 2nd VB being bi-metal in my last posting is incorrect.
                          Apologies
                          Keith

Comment

Surrey VTC badge - opinions needed

Hi
                            Another badge I have on approval with a view to purchase. I would appreciate your opinions.
                            Thanks
                            Andy
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Tony Farrell; 12-18-2004, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Steve & Andy
                              When you mention a bronze finish do you mean a manufacturer's finish being removed by polishing or just the patina of age? Again without K&K I'm lost but my other refernce books only refer to brass and w/m
                              Thanks
                              keith

Comment

and the rear

and the rear
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X