"FURY" [upcoming WW2 tank warfare film]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camouk View Post
    Exactly. I am sure we all have favourite war movies that bear no resemblance to historical facts.When I watch a movie,I am looking to be entertained and transported to somewhere other than the place I am occupying.Having enjoyed some of the directors previous movies,I am looking forward to this one.
    I understand your point but surely there is a moral obligation to show respect to the men who fought (and the families of the dead) through responsible film making?

Film making is a business and often facts are not allowed to get in the way of making money. Think of the disgusting film U571 as mentioned.

Band of Brothers for instance is an absolute credit to all involved and to the memory of those that served.

Anyway, changing the theme of the thread is not my intention it just read as very unbalanced.

Chris.

Comment

Sounds like a couple of others have seen some of the making. I can only speak for what I seen, great array of original vehicles, looking and sounding superb!

As touched on by others, uniforms superb too and authentically set.

Don't think the comments were written to sound 'unbalanced', just being factual and basing those comments on what was observed. Certainly felt and looked great.

Also feel that it is nice to see a big budget WWII war movie being made once more. Things like this increase the interest for new people and as a by-product, increase the community that we are all part off. Now to me, that's never a bad thing.

Just consider what got you interested. Was it an earlier war movie? Maybe not, but as others have also stated, it is a movie, not a documentary. Think of Kelly's Heroes - certainly not factual, but bleedin' funny and very entertaining!

Regarding the finished item, we'll find out at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
        The equipment and extras may be top notch but the plot sounds as though it's from a kids comic.
        Exactly! A single tank commanded by Brad Pitt goes on a special mission. I am sure he takes on half of the German Army........

Anyway, I will see it for the vehicle, uniforms, and equipment. Sort of the way I watch the History Channel.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
          Anyway, I will see it for the vehicle, uniforms, and equipment. Sort of the way I watch the History Channel.
          True. All the rest is fluff.

Comment

Oh, the Hype!

Oh, Yes - I can see it now . . . with all the WAF Armchair General's in full-house, already arguing over it's merits and downfalls . . . considering this film is far off form being released - it's bound to be a Blockbuster!

Comment

Oh, the naiveté....

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
              Oh, Yes - I can see it now . . . with all the WAF Armchair General's in full-house, already arguing over it's merits and downfalls . . . considering this film is far off form being released - it's bound to be a Blockbuster!
              You must be an insider. Its comic book plot isn't really much of a secret....

Plot[edit]

The film is set during the last months of World War II in April 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theater, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank called "Fury" and its five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.[2]
              Last edited by Willi Z.; 01-21-2014, 10:20 PM.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                You must be an insider. Its comic book plot isn't really much of a secret....

Plot[edit]

The film is set during the last months of World War II in April 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theater, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank called "Fury" and its five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.[2]
                With Brad Pitt riding tanks and Mathew Mcconaughey capturing u-boats, it is little wonder that we won the war pretty much single-handedly.
                When you go home
                Tell them for us and say
                For your tomorrow
                We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

I for one do not envy the modern filmmaker's task. He must create a commercially viable film that simultaneously satisfies multiple constituents. First and perhaps foremost, the film's financial backers must be assured - and that means that the storyline and the actors must have the widest possible appeal to a mass public that may or may not know very much about the events/timeframe depicted. And of course any film touching on events of WWII Germany requires careful navigation of politically correct waters. Ultimately, the modern filmmaker must compromise and make the best film possible rather than the perfect film that may be in his mind. I for one will look forward to seeing Fury, the Panzers, the soldiers, etc. and will not worry myself overly much about elements that do not suit my worldview. I genuinely appreciate the efforts of those, some members here, involved in the production.

Comment

I hope they don't run into SS-Untersturmfuhrer Franz Staudegger.

Comment

I sure hope the plot is realistic. Everybody here knows that a "lone Sherman or Sherman(s) on a mission to strike deep behind Nazi lines is ....well, like a story line out of the comic book series- Jeb Stuart & the haunted tank" Except the difference here appears to be a Late model 76mm upgunned Sherman vs. a M3 Stuart that could knock the turret off a tiger with it's 37mm peashooter...oh & shoot me109s & 190s out of the sky with the same peashooter. All we need is another "Pearl Harbor" fail - disappointment! ...which there were some good merits but too many modern day ships incorporated into the film.

With CG effects getting better & better, there should be no reason not to expect a realistic historically visually correct movie...if not a plot to boot.

Comment

Mike David put it very well. Action oriented war films are not exactly cheap to produce, and one may like it or not, most film studios are in the business to make profit. Add to this a much changed audience, say, from the 1970s. E.g. the Tora!Tora!Tora! would be quite unedible to today's American mass market (which determines whether or not a big-budget film makes or breaks it) as it has extensive sections not in English, requiring the viewers to read subtitles. When shall we have a big budget film on ancient Rome where the actors speak Latin throughout?

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brule View Post
                          I hope they don't run into SS-Untersturmfuhrer Franz Staudegger.
                          Or Otto Carius, he was around then and on the Western Front !!!

Comment

I accept Mike Davis's point as well but have grown tired of the often inane war movies we see now days (Saving Private Ryan is the exception that proves the rule). I suspect that this one will have a shaky basis on historical fact (Task Force Baum?) and then will quickly metamorphose into one of the standard forms of the quintessential contemporary action move.

Moreover, the promise of seeing historically correct German armour (albeit likely with comparatively chubby crewmen) is not enough to attract me. I would far rather review the Deutschen wochenschau archives for this. Sorry - this is just my opinion and I have no desire to hurt any feelings.

Mike
                            Last edited by Mike C; 01-22-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

This reads like a My little pony forum post
                              Bla bla bla
                              Haters
                              Lovers

Which my little pony is the best

Well it's the fury pony that crushes collectors negative energy with its positive energy

Owen

Comment

Hollywood film:

Actors $20,000,000
                                Set and CGI $20,000,000
                                Marketing $20,000,000
                                Plot and script $200.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X