Favorite Warmovie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many choices

I agree with those that say Band of Brothers is tops - may not fit the category, so:

Three Kings - though not a great war movie, who doesn't love the scene when they find Saddam's gold!?!?

The Patriot - Maybe has fluff in it, but a reenactor friend was in it and he told me how hard they worked on it, and you gotta love those cannon balls!

Enemy at the Gates - authentic-looking wehrmacht-awards, nuff said!

Stalingrad - the truth is bitter cold, mein Freund...

Comment

I still love Cross Of Iron Regards Chris

Comment

Too many young pups here. Sergeant York and Merrill's Marauders.
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

My favorites are:

1. Gods and Generals
          2. Gettysburg
          3. The Patriot
          4. We Were Soldiers
          5. The Desert Fox

Comment

I would have to say the man who would be king.I see cross of iron 2 hasn't got a look in-yet,who knows,one mans meat is another mans poison.

Cheers,paul.j

Comment

Well for me there are 2 classics.

Murphy's War and Kelly's Heroes, good old Mad Dog, gotta love him. Also big fans of Tobruk and Battle of the Bulge. Doing mybest to transfer both of those on to DVD at the mo.

Cheers,

Craig.
              Last edited by milsurp; 06-11-2004, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Might as well list my favorite top 10.
                1. Gods & Generals
                2. Gettysberg
                3. Battle of Britian
                4. Patton
                5. Saving Private Ryan
                6. Zulu
                7. The Blue Max
                8. The Alamo (newset one)
                9. Tora Tora Tora
                10. The War Lover
                Many others would get an "Honorable Mention" in my book too.

Comment

Das Boot definitely gets my vote as number 1!- The 6 hour version has just been released on DVD! Go buy it!

Stalingrad- very realistic and sad. Great film.

I liked Cross of Iron but having read the book there are very noticeable differences. The real Steiner was 24, I never heard of an NCO on the Ostfront who was over 50?! (Also wearing the CCC in gold before it was instituted!)

SPR I didn't like,- the battle scenes are fantastic but that is just a question of money. Far too many cheesy and nonsensical elements in the plot. I particularly didn't like the portrayal of all German soldiers as shaven headed thugs. I for one have never seen a period photo of a German soldier with a grade 0 haircut.

The Thin Red Line is great. Haunting and strangely beautiful.

Comment

After much thought and a couple of extra viewings i'll plump for "Platoon" as my (current) favourite.
                    Quality period details, small personal affectations that you pick up on with each viewing, and generally superb preformances from the entire cast. Who can forget the searing preformance of Tom Berenger as "Barnes"?
                    I also have to fly the flag for "TRL" too. It could do with a little judicious editing, and to be fair there was no excuse for John Travolta's moustache but i think it suffered at the time from a public expecting another "Saving Private...." but set in the Pacific.
                    It's so much more than that. Too many scenes in it to choose a favourite, but the scene with Nick Nolte and John Cusack, where Nolte is explaining that he's waited his entire career for his "First war...one day you'll understand", and the look that Cusack gives him that suggests that this is the only war that he ever wants to see is superb.
                    "SPR" is a technical tour de force in it's depiction of modern mechanized combat, and it set the standard for how combat can be depicted, but i find it very hollow in comparison.....

Patrick.
                    Last edited by Patrick Dempsey; 06-11-2004, 02:28 PM. Reason: Grammar...

Comment

why is it.. when there is a sniper vs sniper conflict in a movie..one sniper ALWAYS gets killed with the "shot thru the scope into the eye" scenario?......SPR...Sniper1...Sniper2....any others? didn't Konig get shot in the eye in Enemy at the Gates...(although not thru the scope).....talk about unrealistic...

Comment

Id say ILSA , SHE WOLF OF THE SS is the most accurate film depicting ww2 ever!!!
                        Iam Uncle Sam
                        That’s who Iam
                        Been hiding out
                        In a rock and roll band

Comment

To pick a movie I'd say Saving Private Ryan, but my favorite is Band of Brothers.
                          Doesn't mean I haven't seen the old ones though

Comment

I just finished watching Band of Brothers and I enjoyed it alot. But, I am with TMurray and "Sink the Bismark" is my favorite. Over and over, it is still as good as the first time.

Regards,
                            T

Comment

Dang, I thought I'd be first to say Kelly's Heroes

The Great Escape
                              The Eagle Has Landed
                              The Green Berets

Don't know what the other would be in my top five favorite war movies. Red Dawn is a possible. I liked Uncommon Valor. The Challenge was neat. Good call on the Duelists.

I watched The Longest Day for the first time ever (mother in law bought me the DVD for Christmas). It was made the same year I was born and I'm just getting around to watching it. OMG! It was the absolutely most horribly acted movie I've ever seen (unless you count Tango and Cash or Bad Lieutenant or Siege of Firebase Gloria). Damn.....just......damn. The Great Escape was made a year after The Longest Day and it is so excellent.

The Lee Marvin movie where he is stranded on an island with Toshiro Mifune is Hell in the Pacific. Bought it tonight in the checkout line of Albertson's as I was buying cat food on the way home from work. Hadnt seen it yet. Still gotta watch Tora, Tora, Tora!, The Desert Fox, and The Blue Max. Ain't ever seen them yet either.

Comment

here is mine

Well

1. Dogs, do you want to life forever

2. where Eagles dare

3. Das Boot

4. Iron cross

5. Saving private Ryan

6. Kellys heros

7. Hamburger Hill

8. Platoon

9. Guns of Navarone

10. We were soldiers once
                                Strength and Honour
                                http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X