No announcement yet.

Favorite Warmovie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One movie never mentioned is an Australian flick "The Lighthorsemen" made in 1987. About Australian calvary in WWI in Palistine fighting the Turks. Very Good Movie

Comment

Did you ever see "The Duelist" with Harvey Keitel and John Voight? Two Cavalry Officers in Napolean's Army. Harvey was insulted by John, and he keeps popping up to demand satisfaction. The Saber duel in the stables was fantastic.
      "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
      -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

"Johnny Gets His Gun". The most poignant war (actually aftermath) movie I have ever seen. I still have bad dreams about that movie.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

The Great Escape! I love that movie .When I was a kid I used to ride my honda 70 around jumping hills while wearing my German helmet.

Comment

"Where eagles dare" My favorite

George L

Comment

Cross of Iron could have been awesome if it had had a less ridiculous plot or, at least, incorporated some sub-plots to help nullify the basic premise somewhat.

As to SPR, I don't get this either. The first twenty minutes of that film is the best thing I have ever seen on the silver screen. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie is a clichéd pile of steamy poo, IMO.

In case anyone is wondering my vote went to The Longest Day, honourable mention to Das Boot.

Cheers,
              David.
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

My favorites go farther back in time than the 20th century -

"Gettysburg" (even with the hokey Ted Turner death scene)

"The Three Hundred Spartans" (Richard Egan as Leonidas telling the Persian after he asks them to lay down their arms, "Come and take them!" - yeah!)

And my number one - "Zulu."

Of those listed, I would vote for "The Longest Day."

Regards,
                Greg
                sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

The Guns of Navarone
                  633 Squadron
                  The Dirty Dozen

Comment

Also "Battlegound" ''Jodie was there when you left,Your Right! cadence count one two three four, one two Three Four!"

Comment

It's a miniseries, and not a movie in the purest sense, but my favorite at the moment is "Band of Brothers".

--Chris

Comment

I would concur with everything said so far, but my vote went with a Bridge Too Far, although as with most, I would watch them time and again.

How about the longest drawn out movie - Waterloo with Rod Steiger? 3+ hours

Two that the titles I can't remember
                        1} Lee Marvin stranded Marine with Japanese Officer

2} Light romantic Robert Mitchum & Debra Carr? stranded marine & nun
                        Regards
                        Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

I used to like "platoon", but ever since I bought "band of brothers" last year, I've grown to favor it.

Comment

re

Is it okeey
                            that I mention some scene,s from movie,s

The first 15 minutes from saving private ryan
                            the first 20 minutes from enemy at the gates
                            the first 30 minutes of cross of Iron
                            sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

"As to SPR, I don't get this either. The first twenty minutes of that film is the best thing I have ever seen on the silver screen. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie is a clichéd pile of steamy poo, IMO"

Really? WHY?

I don't think Band of Brothers can count because it is a television series and not a film. If it could be counted my vote would go to Band of Brothers over Saving Private Ryan because I prefer it! Anyone else feel the same?

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton
                                "As to SPR, I don't get this either. The first twenty minutes of that film is the best thing I have ever seen on the silver screen. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie is a clichéd pile of steamy poo, IMO"

Really? WHY?
                                Hmm, strange the things that stick in your mind. I just checked SPR out of the archives and viewed it again. It is a very good film indeed. All I can think is that I must have had my ultra critical head on first time around. However, didn't you just know there'd be a however?, it does have the following stupid flaws:

Just in case there is anyone who hasn't seen it look away now.

Ok,

What's the pussyboy admin/translator guy all about? I mean he even points out that he is a pussyboy in case we are a little slow. What's with the cuddle up on the stairs and if I look scared enough the nasty ss man will just walk straight past, yeah,.. sure.

Poor Vin Petrol gets shot trying to help a wickle kid, aww,... do me a favour!

Oh, I'll just sit down by here to do my boot up and accidently knock this length of 9x2 against this tissue paper STONE WALL, Oh Sh*t lots of krauts,.. come on guys.

What do you mean you're the WRONG James F Ryan?

Weren't you just praying that they wouldn't be blatant enough to bring back that german they let go?,.... Puhleeze!

We have all this ammo, shall we distribute it evenly amongst the relevent guys or shall we give it all to pussyboy to run away with,... Hmm?

Oh dear I'm pretty much shot to bits but I'll see if I can take this Tiger out with my pistol. Maybe, if I'm really lucky, popeye will happen along and save me at the last minute,..

...and what are we doing here anyway! any self respecting team of engineers could bridge this puddle in a couple of hours!

So, an excellent film spoiled by the need to include the popcorn stuff,..

Hollywood, can't live with it can't live without it.

Cheers,
                                David.
                                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X