griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most authentic war films (according to Armchair General magazine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Pearl Harbor...

As for Pearl Harbor, that's one which I feel is unworthy of mention in a list of top ten war movies. I found it to be heavily melodramatic, giving too much screen time to fictitious romances between all the young hearthrobs of the time--Ben Afflect, and whoever else was in it. It was also very deficient in the actual details and events during and leading up to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It missed a great opportunity to be a great movie. The movie could have spent the same amount of time showing viewers more of the facts about the actual event--all of which would have really made a much more interesting (and entertaining) war movie anyway. In short, it was another potential epic falling vicim to Hollywood money-making cliches.

Sincerely opinionated,

Chris

Comment

Star

I watched yesterday a russian ww2 movie called Star and found it good.

Comment

Gary Cain wrote:
        Here's the cast list you asked for.
        Thanks, Gary. Gavin and Pulver. I remember now. But Lisolotte? Why do I remember her real name as Lilo Pulver? She must have not used the full Lisolotte very often, preferring the diminutive "Lilo" instead.

--Larry

Comment

Zvezda

Originally posted by LSSAH View Post
          Hi, that film is a big favourite with our re-enactment group I have seen it 3 times. I would now like to see the 1949 original.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSAH View Post
            LSSAH,

Thanks! That's another I've never heard of that I'll certainly be looking for now.

Chris

Comment

This is just an observation:

The title of the magazine initially mentioned--Armchair General--is actually rather self-insulting for its purposes. An "armchair" anybody is, of course, generally considered to be lacking in sufficient experience and real-world knowledge, due to his/her frequency in an "armchair." Therefore, such an idividual is then considered to be too inexperienced to know his/her own subject matter. Hmmmm....

Oh well, considering a few of the choices on its top ten list, I guess that makes some sense.

Chris

Comment

"Waterloo" is on my top ten authentic list

Comment

Blackhawk Down

Comment

I'd say Europa, Europa is a worthy addition to the list!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Jody Beltram View Post

Apocalypse Now: I also agree here, I have seen that movie several times and I know one thing, it is not about Vietnam. I do enjoy the scenes with Robert Duvall.
                      It's stunning how many people think this is a WAR movie per se, you are spot on with your conclusion, it's not a war movie, but it seems to be lost on most viewers, it's just set during a war.
                      The film is based on a very deep 19th century book by Joseph Conrad called "The Heart of Darkness" which is basically the story about a man's trip to the very darkest part of his inner self, the parts of ourselves we never visit. The original book was set on a boat travelling into the heart of Africa, Copolla just switched it for a modern audience by placing it around Vietnam.
                      So basically Marlon Brando is playing the darkest part of Martin Sheen's own self, the part of ourselves we generally don't dare travel to but the part of himself that Martin Sheen does visits & ultimately deals with.
                      Ant.
                      Last edited by antwhiplash; 11-18-2007, 05:07 AM.

Comment

only just read this thread im afraid. id add the pianist and schindlers list.

i liked enemy at the gate too.

and i want to add that band of brothers was f****** awesome

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X