Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if this public access program has anything else to offer to the story....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPlq2Eq4jS0

Comment

Slow day today so I took the opportunity to re-read this thread. Still the best thread on WAF IMHO.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
        Slow day today so I took the opportunity to re-read this thread. Still the best thread on WAF IMHO.
        Thanks Don! I have been out of action for a while, but I am ready to start getting back at it.

Comment

This thread has been an excellent read, i must have spend at least 4-5 hours reading over it all! You really put a lot of work in to this thread! I see not much has been added recently and i was curious if you have had an success getting your work recognized over the colonels ?

I was also curious if you personally or any of your colleagues have done anymore hunting in the area and found any more artifacts!

Comment

Thank`s for the link dealing with Sgt. York. Very interesting.

Comment

October 8th - 100th Anniversary of the Battle - C-Span Documentary

It has been a long time in the works and Michael Kelly's book about Nolan's research is finally out. Here is a link to a C-Span documentary discussing both Kelly's book and one by Mr. Mastriano. It was aired yesterday on C-Span, very nice since today October 8th is the 100th anniversary of York's' action in the Argonne in 1918.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?451973...attle-location

Comment

VERY interesting ! Tom

Comment

Brad - I am pleased to see you back on the Forum; your contributions are much appreciated!

Comment

Good stuff Brad. How's the Lost Battalion research going?
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Garage sale find

Sergeant Alvin York, Last of the Long Hunters

First edition.......signed

Plus........ a Bible belonging to Alvin's Uncle George York. It was given to R.Y. Burks & then to J.M. Dishmon, the same name in the main book. The Dishmon family has owned the Bible since about 1898. I believe inscription in Bible was from 3rd hand information but in the same family.
                      It is incorrect in stating George was Alvin's father but things get mixed up over time.

I bought a small powder horn from this sale, took it home & found some initials so I went back to ask about them. She said no relation but great grandparents lived down the road from the Yorks. O thing lead to another & found out about the books in storage.

Never underestimate a sale by how many tables of stuff, they had one.

Still doing research.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

The original link inPost # 1 no longer works.
                        So, where is the machine gun at now??

Comment

Seems it's in York's Home town. TO get around the fact it was not registered under the amnesty the local police took ownership of it so it can sit in the local Museum.

https://www.oakridger.com/article/20...NEWS/302029987

Comment

Originally posted by PlaceOfBayonets View Post
                            Seems it's in York's Home town. TO get around the fact it was not registered under the amnesty the local police took ownership of it so it can sit in the local Museum.

https://www.oakridger.com/article/20...NEWS/302029987
                            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
                              Thank you.
                              Your welcome! Now I just need to inquire if my local police will take ownership of a machine gun so i can keep it in my gun closet LOL

Comment

Yes, the Sgt. York MG 08/15 was registered on a BATFE Form 10 to a local Sheriff's Department in Tennessee, where the museum is located. The Sheriff then placed the MG 08/15 in storage under lock and key at the museum. The Sheriff's Department has the keys to the museum storage/display cabinet; in this manner the museum staff and visitors can view the gun, but they have no access to it and the gun remains within the custody and control of the Sheriff's Department to whom it is Form 10 registered. A BATFE "Form 10" registration is a registration status under US federal law whereby the gun is restricted solely to law enforcement agency possession.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X