No announcement yet.

Kubelwagen 12 ss division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a lovely restoration on that schwimmer, but i dont like factory fresh, i prefer a more worn look. I have made stencils before when i had my willys jeep. I have aged the paint work a little to match the reconnaissance symbol, so it looks more the part. Thanks again for taking the time out to post and info.regards Paul.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,
      Yes the Schwimmer is factory fresh after a two year restoration, I did it for a customer of mine (and three others) where the job requirement was to deliver a virtually factory fresh vehicle as contracted to do.

What the customer did with it afterwards was up to him. I have not seen it since it was completed in 2007.

My own vehicles are a "little worn" looking. For instance did 700 miles on my BMW R75 in Normandy last June, cannot get more realistic dirt than that on it, and it was really scruffy at the end.

Anyway only to point out that all 11 divisional signs seen in the photos above are stencils, its the way they did it.

cheers lennard

Comment

Emblem

I just wanted to show my original Edelweiss on nmy DKw NZ 350 from 41 , here you can see the history of paintscheme , red factory , then grey whermacht , white winter tarn and black civil use after war. And a handpainted Edelweiss....
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks well lots of history. When i was restoring the kubel i sanded down a few different colours, post war grey, red primer blue then tan very light, then bare metal.For1945 is correct tan on bare metal. Regards Paul.

Comment

Paul your pictures of your vehicle with the equipment lying around were awesome. Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing.
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
            Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Thanks Walter , it was just bordom with the lockdown, just having some fun!

Comment

Hi Paul,
                As I understand it, the dunkelgelb paint had an undercoat built into it, so no need for a primer, red or otherwise, to be applied first.

So correct for 1943-45, have a look again at my pal tracing the 12 SS sign on the front of that Wespe, its still very yellow, 36 years on, but no trace of red primer showing anywhere, mainly because it not there, it was not needed.

Several other vehicles in that scrapyard were similar, very yellow still and no primer.

Just to cover myself, there will of course be instances where primer is used under yellow, but in reality it was not necessary.

cheers PAUL

Comment

Hi Lennard, nice photo of the Schwimmwagen. The SS Unterscharführer is Harry Wonterra who I knew and had contact with.

Comment

Hi Schnellmeyer,
                    Very intersting, yes there are several photos of him and his men in the 12 SS history book, but do you have any other photos that you can share, particulary interested in good photos of their BMW R75's.

cheers lennard

Comment

you are correct Lennard,

no primer was used, nor for Motorcycles like Reichswehr grey was used also w/o any primer as the paint sticked better to the metal directly as to primer finished surface. I am restoring currently also parts with a special Würth paint all w/o primer.

Originally posted by Lennard View Post
                      Hi Paul,
                      As I understand it, the dunkelgelb paint had an undercoat built into it, so no need for a primer, red or otherwise, to be applied first.

So correct for 1943-45, have a look again at my pal tracing the 12 SS sign on the front of that Wespe, its still very yellow, 36 years on, but no trace of red primer showing anywhere, mainly because it not there, it was not needed.

Several other vehicles in that scrapyard were similar, very yellow still and no primer.

Just to cover myself, there will of course be instances where primer is used under yellow, but in reality it was not necessary.

cheers PAUL

Comment

Hi Lennard, I am sure I have some more photos of Harry. I will dig them out and post in due course

Comment

Hello Schnellmeyer,

Many thanks, I shall look forward to that.

cheers lennard

Comment

image_4644217_InPixio.jpgi aged it a little bit. was too shiny

Comment

looks more period
                              image_4644241_InPixio.jpg

Comment

Here is an interesting one for you lennard, pic one

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X