Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is my late war blue enamel canteen.. pouch is not so nice, but at all it is set...

Comment

Comment

with breadbag

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
          Thought I would bring this thread back to life with the addition of a new find. A late '44 dated steel enameled canteen, with a unique green painted aluminum cup.
          Hi.

Is this cup ww2, late war simplified version? I'm not sure they are ww2 or postwar? Is it marked?

mietek

Comment

The back.
            I have East German waterbottles with this kind of cup, cover and strap all from the late 1950,early 1960's.

Comment

It is not East German. It is dated 1944. WWII aluminum cups came in black, olive tan (tropical) and green. C'mon guys.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thank you.

Is there a code too, or only the date? Post war are very similar. So I would like to know differences between ww2 and post war.
                Could you post more pictures of the cap?

Best Regards

mietek

Comment

Sorry, was too quick, and edited my response.

Comment

It is not East German. It is dated 1944. WWII aluminum cups came in black, olive tan (tropical) and green. C'mon guys.

.....and the KVP and NVA used this pattern of cup, strap and cover as the factories must have been in the east ,you offer a picture of comment, you get comment.
                    I'm glad the Waterbottle is WWII as you want a WWII item.

Comment

The cup is 100% wartime pattern. Here is a copy of one pictured in an original pre-war Equipment catalog I have. The pattern is not even a particular "late-war" pattern, its even pre-war. (see prices of other items as being in Marks or Reichsmarks, both pre-war pricing, and the DRGM marking on another item)

Regards,

Thomas
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's my contribution. I do have a question about the marking on the cup. "39".... obviously the date. The rest of the canteen is marked with "VDNS39", so same date. Is it safe to assume that the cup is original to the canteen? Should the cup be marked "VDNS" as well? Thanks. Take care.

Tim
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cup Marking "39"
                          Attached Files

Comment

Neck
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cap.

Done. Thanks guys. Take care.

Tim
                              Attached Files

Comment

Canteen

I do not like markings on the cup.....
                                There are many post war alu cups on the market, which are 100% identical to german WW 2 cups - often without any date or markings - and its easy to add some "original" markings to them. IMHO your cup should be marked EXACTLY like the canteen - VDNS 39. WW 2 cups without markings, or with strange markings, are nothing unusual in case of late war canteens with steel or bakelite cups - but in case of an early, pre war alu canteen with alu cup the markings should be all the same on both parts.
                                Marcin
                                Last edited by fullriede; 04-01-2005, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X