Attached Files

Comment

It is uncommon Luftschutz canteen Nice!

Comment

Ok thanks!

Comment

'42 canteen

Originally posted by Michael Kuligowski View Post
            I dont think there is anything wrong - but alu cup made in 43 would be even better catch
            Majkol, You put it just in correct words.

Comment

Finally arrived my first and only canteen with alu cup.....but EEF44 datated
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MULON; 12-15-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

r
                Attached Files

Comment

ca
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mulon

Nice cup what is the body made from and what are the marks?

BB

Comment

Ciao BB, no mark present on alu body
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mulon,

Congrats on your new canteen.

Looks like its in great condition.

Comment

Is it me or does anybody else notice this on the cup, I think the letters and date look a little odd, if you will notice the first "E" seems larger than the second and the “F” is even bigger, the date is skewed somewhat as well. The fact that the canteen body has no date or other marking causes me to question if this is in fact a wartime manufactured piece. Aluminum body canteens for the most part were not manufactured after late 42 or early 43, yes there are exceptions, those I have seen are maker coded and stamped. The aluminum caps went out even earlier generally by 40 or 42, again with exceptions, these are maker coded and dated. By 44 nearly, if not all, caps were made from black Bakelite later on from sheet metal, painted generally the corresponding body color.
                          BB

Comment

Sorry BB, but I absolutely not agree on anything you say.
                            I collect and study canteens in depth, I have 56 in collection and I've seen / touched at least 300 in recent years ...... I saw the most incredible things in that regard!
                            In my opinion this piece is absolutely genuine and wartime, the flaws are due to the particular period of production (late war) where the re-use of any material and haste / approximation in the production were preprogative of those years.
                            Yet I doubt it ever so much, and when I can personally verify the pieces to remove all doubt in this regard .... I tried to paint stripping the glass in a small section of a solvent is not too invasive and nothing happened to differences in performances where the paint comes off immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by MULON View Post
                              Sorry BB, but I absolutely not agree on anything you say.
                              I collect and study canteens in depth, I have 56 in collection and I've seen / touched at least 300 in recent years ...... I saw the most incredible things in that regard!
                              In my opinion this piece is absolutely genuine and wartime, the flaws are due to the particular period of production (late war) where the re-use of any material and haste / approximation in the production were preprogative of those years.
                              Yet I doubt it ever so much, and when I can personally verify the pieces to remove all doubt in this regard .... I tried to paint stripping the glass in a small section of a solvent is not too invasive and nothing happened to differences in performances where the paint comes off immediately.
                              Mulon

While I agree they used whatever was available, I must emphasize, canteen bodies were marked at the point of manufacture, weather it was 33 or 43, this is not marked at all. Aluminum cups do exist that were made in 45, I have one or two myself, the maker is HRE. The stamping, while maybe not exactly straight on the cup, the code letters and date do line up as this were all found on one steel stamp. They did not use separate letters and numbers for the code, even late in the war. This may be 100% period, I'm just bringing up points to consider. I too have 50 +/- canteens and have seen many, many more, I would look at this one more than once and very closely.

BB

Comment

Blue

Let me introduce my freakiest canteen. Opinions are welcome.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X