Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another sackcloth. These canteen covers tend to plain snaps for whatever reason. This one has an early RZM marked bottle with it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a brown leather one. Often identified as Luftwaffe, but there are no LBA marks on it that I can find. Fairly early, 1938.
      Attached Files

Comment

Finally, one left behind by a former POW. It's seen its better days. This one also has RZM numbering codes on it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys, a larger size tropical canteen that lacks a cup (anyone got a spare?) Cover and bottle both maker marked "EEF" (Heine u. Sohn, Voehrenbach)
          Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is my other canteen, same maker as before, but '39 dated.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice canteens, guys. Ade, I presume the large tropical one is rare, no? To be honest I never saw one before.

BTW, can anyone answer my question ? I really want to learn more about those tropical canteens.

Cheers
              Jan
              'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Hi Jan, the tropical canteen was a free gift that came with my FJ helmet The little metal tab on the strap is maker marked "Lux".

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade, indeed mostly they were marked LUX on the back of the metal tab. But I was wondering were the line is between tropical and non tropical, please take a look at post # 89, page 6, were I posted a canteen that I got in some weeks ago, it has a LUX marked strap, aluminium body and 41 dated bakelite cup.What is exactly the difference between that one and for example the one posted by Willi in post #5 ( right one): Is it the strap? The bakelite body of the canteen? ( did you also had aluminium tropical issued canteens?) the markings? etc....I would like to know what criteria is needed to say that a certain canteen is a tropical one?

Cheers

Jan
                  'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Hi Jan, the difference is in the capacity. The tropical ones are larger Sorry I forgot the size But I will look tommorow.
                    Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                      Hi Jan, the difference is in the capacity. The tropical ones are larger Sorry I forgot the size But I will look tommorow.
                      Cheers, Ade.
                      No prob, Ade, . If the size is the only difference indeed, then I'm really confused...the one posted by Willi (first post of this thread, right one) isn't larger then a regular( non-tropical) one ,is it? Others ( post nr 5) is just the same?

Anyway, I will waith on further input from both you and others
                      thanks already!

Cheers
                      Jan
                      'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Hi Jan:

I own about 20 different styles of canteens. Two of them are Vet acquired and were taken directly from a storage facility in Africa and are mint and unissued. One is the "medical" style with the shoulder strap and the other is similar to tropical, but the cloth straps still have leather attaching points. I think the standard Africa canteen is not true.
                        Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

I have 3 bottles like the one Ade showed in post #95 with reinforced covers and complete Web-straps, which means also Web-material on the covers. Only the end that buttons to the stud at the bottom is always leather. All are of the larger size with 1,0 Liter capacity.

By the way, Ade, EEF on the bottle does not stand for Heine u. Sohn, Voehrenbach, which is eef.

The codes with capitals on Aluminium-stuff have a different meaning and were used before the war when the later three-letter-code had not yet been invented. They are most probably shortcuts for the company names as is shown by markings such as M & C or AEM.A or G&CL

Johannes

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado
                            ...I think the standard Africa canteen is not true....
                            Thanks Jeff, I think you got a point here

Cheers

Jan
                            'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Hi Guys, here are a few more pics of my canteen.

Thanks Johannes, Opps!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Makers mark to neck
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X