Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like some info the SSBW stamp how many different items was this used on?
    And what years was it used? was it only used by one factory or loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Remy Spezzano View Post
      910 panzer pants, black wool
      910 is in Fieldgray Pants to, so not only panzer pants, take a look in the link from post 51

Comment

I am in no way an expert on the subject. Like everyone else posting here I'm just sharing what knowledge I have obtained over the years.

What is interesting to see since I have started the thread, is how many fellow collectors have stepped up and contributed to the discussion.
        We are all collectively learning more with each new post.

Regarding the infamous SS-BW or SS-Bekleidungswerke (clothing works)
        ink stamp. Again this is a subject that needs further examination and I feel as we continue on with this thread more details will come to light.

This is what I know so far and can share with everyone.

When you see an ink stamp marking SS-BW on an original item it was most likely produced at one of the following SS controlled labor camps.

DACHAU concentration camp, Bavaria, Germany
        ORANIENBURG concentration camp, near Berlin, Germany
        PONIATOWA labour camp, near Lublin, Poland
        POSEN labour camp, Poland
        RADOM labour camp, Poland
        RAVENSBRÃœCK concentration camp, near F0rstenberg, Germany
        SCHRÖTTERSBURG concentration camp, near Plock, Poland
        STRAUBURG prison, in Bavaria, Germany
        TRAWNIKI labour camp, near Lublin, Poland

In most cases when you see the SS-BW ink stamp inside a uniform there is nothing else next to it except maybe some size numbers. However there are known cases where you will see next to the SS-BW stamp a two or three digit number ex. 525 or 393. This is the code for the facility that manufactured or tailored the item. However till this day there has been no documents or known list which links the code numbers to the respective camp. Hopefully one day this mystery will be solved.

Comment

Waffen-SS prisoners captured in the suburbs of Arnhem.
          All wearing the HBT dot camouflage uniform.

Copyright IWM Army Film and Photographic Unit, Smith D M (Sgt)
          Attached Files

Comment

Updated List as of Feb. 6, 2016

Waffen-SS Uniform Manufacturer Codes
            _37 tunic Model 42, field grey wool
            _41 tunic Model 42, field grey wool
            _52 tunic Model 37, field grey wool
            _65 tunic Model 42, field grey wool
            117 panzer wraps, stug. wraps, keilhosen, field grey wool
            349 tunic Model 42, field grey wool
            383 panzer wrap, oak leaf camo
            393 tunic HBT dot camo
            479 great coat, field grey wool
            525 tunic Model 40, field grey wool
            525 overcoat Model 42, field grey wool
            627 panzer wrap, field grey wool and black wool
            712 panzer wraps, black wool
            910 panzer pants black wool, fieldgray pants
            933 winter hood, oak leaf camo reversible to white
            933 camouflage pullover smocks, plane tree camo

Waffen-SS Uniform Manufacturer by Name
            Alois Heisse tunic Sahariana, tunic Model 36, 37, 41, field grey wool, also allgemeine black tunics and coats
            Walter Klemm, Hornberg Schw. HBT dot camo pants

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
              small correction / update:

712 = Black Panzer Wraps

117 = STUG Wraps

910 = also seen in fieldgrey Pants (not only Panzer)
              910 field grey wool M44 pants can post pic

Comment

Originally posted by Remy Spezzano View Post
                I am in no way an expert on the subject. Like everyone else posting here I'm just sharing what knowledge I have obtained over the years.

What is interesting to see since I have started the thread, is how many fellow collectors have stepped up and contributed to the discussion.
                We are all collectively learning more with each new post.

Regarding the infamous SS-BW or SS-Bekleidungswerke (clothing works)
                ink stamp. Again this is a subject that needs further examination and I feel as we continue on with this thread more details will come to light.

This is what I know so far and can share with everyone.

When you see an ink stamp marking SS-BW on an original item it was most likely produced at one of the following SS controlled labor camps.

DACHAU concentration camp, Bavaria, Germany
                ORANIENBURG concentration camp, near Berlin, Germany
                PONIATOWA labour camp, near Lublin, Poland
                POSEN labour camp, Poland
                RADOM labour camp, Poland
                RAVENSBRÃœCK concentration camp, near F0rstenberg, Germany
                SCHRÖTTERSBURG concentration camp, near Plock, Poland
                STRAUBURG prison, in Bavaria, Germany
                TRAWNIKI labour camp, near Lublin, Poland

In most cases when you see the SS-BW ink stamp inside a uniform there is nothing else next to it except maybe some size numbers. However there are known cases where you will see next to the SS-BW stamp a two or three digit number ex. 525 or 393. This is the code for the facility that manufactured or tailored the item. However till this day there has been no documents or known list which links the code numbers to the respective camp. Hopefully one day this mystery will be solved.
                Thanks for the info that has answered my question.
                Mine is just SSBW no more depo marks.
                also its on a M44 dot tunic.

Comment

Close up showing the keyhole located on the front of the tunic.
                  Making a keyhole was a process which involved two sewing machines.
                  One machine would stitch the entire length of the key hole and cut the slit and hole for the button to pass through.

A second machine was used to stitch or tact closed the end of the keyhole stitch.
                  This was done to keep the slit made in the material from opening up further.
                  Note: The thread used to tact closed the keyhole stitch almost never matches the color of the thread used to make the keyhole stitch.

It should be noted that this was pretty much the industry standard used by clothing manufacturers during the 1940s.

Today buttonhole machines are much more sophisticated and perform the entire action of making the keyhole stitch, tact, and cutting of the material all in one pass in three to four seconds.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Inside the red box is the tact stitch. In this case the color of the thread is dark grey.
                    It's almost invisible to the eye unless you get in there and look at it closely.

The buttonholes may seem like an insignificant feature to the casual observer but it is a very important telltale sign as to whether or not the uniform is real or not. The machines used to make the buttonholes in the 1940s simply do not exist anymore,
                    forcing the fakers with no choice but to use the modern buttonhole machines and hoping no one is the wiser.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Inside the tunic showing the cloth loops used to secure the aluminum or metal belt hooks.

The material used to make the belt loops is the same used for many of the other interior pieces used for the lining or the first aid bandage pouch.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A special sewing machine with a circular die was used to make the stitching and also punch the hole through the material all in one pass.

Note the color thread used to make the holes on the belt hook loops is a totally different color thread than the one used to make the holes on the tunic. This is where where the belt hook would pass through to the outside of the tunic.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rove View Post
                          One of the best threads i ever read,
                          Thank you for your work!
                          I'll "second" that!
                          Thank You, Mr. Spezzano.

Comment

Great thread Remy!
                            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

The holes for where the belt hook passes through to the outside of the tunic.

Waffen-SS tunics made in HBT dot camo material and also field gray wool had the distinct feature
                              of only having two holes for the belt hooks in the front and back of the tunic. Whereas Army tunics had three holes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a nice photo where you can clearly see the machine embroidered SS sleeve eagle being worn on the HBT dot camouflage pattern tunic.

The soldier belongs to the 5. SS-Panzer-Division "Wiking" and works in the unit print shop. He's printing Mother's Day cards for members of his unit.

Photo taken by SS-Kriegsberichter Werner Mielke in early May 1944 just outside the city of Kovel.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X