• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Adjutant Aiguillette

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files
      Last edited by Gary Symonds; 05-10-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I bought this SS Adjutant Aiguillette at the West Coast Collector Show.

Opinions?
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd find it hard to believe that such a prestigious item would show a casting seam straight through one of the runes .. ?!
          Attached Files

Comment

The runes on originals are separate and are soldered on.

Comment

One of the many many fakes.

Comment

Badly cast in two halves
                Regards
                David

Comment

Originally posted by Winkelman View Post
                  I'd find it hard to believe that such a prestigious item would show a casting seam straight through one of the runes .. ?!
                  Mr. Winkelman, you overlooked an old thread posted in 2007, by the late John Pepera. Please observe post 48. You will see an identical casting seam on Pepera's Heer Aiguillette, on a SS tux for a Dr. Ludke.

John died in 2013, and his estate sold in May 2014, John's incredible SS collection through Herman Historica.

The most valuable item in John's collection was in auction 68, Lot 8162, Dr. Ludke's SS Tux.

It sold for 16,000 euros, plus a 23% commission for a total of 19,680 euros, which is $22,082. In some collecting circles such as fine art, or vintage automobles, this is small potatoes. In our little niche hobby, 22k is big bucks.

Do you really believe that John Pepera would have purchased a fake aiguillette?

Do you really believe John Pepera would have posted a picture of a reproduction aiguilllete with rune needles?

Would HH have sold a SS tux with a fake aiguillette for 22k?

Yes, the needles are cast, as are all aiguillette needles. The removable cap with the oak leafs is a die struck separate piece.

The jeweler confirmed that the runes are a separate item and are welded on, and the needles are in unmarked silver.

It's ironic that both Robert H and J Pic added their opinions to the 2007 thread, but not a peep out of you guys when Pepera posted his needles with the same identical casting line, in the same identical portion of the needles, in what you are now claiming is a reproduction.

To quote Robert H in 2007; "Very nice details John."(!)

Go figure!

This SS adjutant aiguillete is an original.

Clearly not one of the "many, many fakes."
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=aiguillette
                  Last edited by Gary Symonds; 05-13-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

One thing is 100% the pips should be stamped produced and not casted. I learned this lesson on the hard way as I purchased a copy at my first MAX but got my money back. I honor John to much to talk negative about anything after his death.
                    When you look closely you will see on original examples pure quality, on copys casting in cheap quality.

How do they look when you lift the crown up? I hate to judge such items when not in front of me.

Is this Johns Aguilette?

Photo 4 right pip crown, is there so much casting flaw that the crown does sit un even?
                    Last edited by Robert H; 05-14-2015, 02:11 AM.

Comment

As far as known too me, there is no casting seam on the tips from an original aiguillette. The runes are soldered on. In my book about "aiguillettes" I do show parts of the SS adjutants-aiguillette from my friend, the well-known mr. Delich (pages 460-461).
                      Further the connections-part between the cords is not from cloth, but from Tresse. If for the black uniform a black cloth centerpiece was used, is not mentioned in the 1938 regulation. This regulation gives the sizes for the cords and braid.
                      In 2007 mr. Pepera showed tips with a seam over the runes, where he says they were bad!! This was the earlier mentioned thread, post 48.
                      Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 05-14-2015, 02:54 AM.

Comment

For what it is worth, I contacted the new owner of the late John Pepera tuxedo. Maybe he will chime in on this thread

Comment

post 48 is showing copy tips, the ones below posted from John are clear different Aguilettes and look good! Casting seams are a big big run away, but sometimes you see they remove the casting line but then they are still bad.
                          As said, original ones are stamped not casted. The bottom of your crowns show the typical casting signs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Niederlande View Post
                            For what it is worth, I contacted the new owner of the late John Pepera tuxedo. Maybe he will chime in on this thread
                            Hope to see some photos as according to the official regulation with te tuxedo the army type of double-braided parade aiguillette was worn with its regular tips. No special rune tips are shown in the regulation!

Comment

This is what my friend David Delich has to say about the tips:
                              The bell-shaped caps with the oak leaf design DO HAVE seams,
                              but the lower portion that pictures the runes DOES NOT have a seam!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X