BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who saw the named field grey tunic for a LAH officer at the max show ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beobachter View Post
    Finding an authentic LAH officer's tunic : I get depressed !!
    How about that one on Craig Gottleib's site?

Comment

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
      viva_giulio...this is not a personal attack this is exposing fraud. When I hear people come in and claim "personal attack" it makes me think about how this hobby is full of weak hearted people who only want to keep connections intact. Because as we all know Peter is quite knowledgeable in this arena and has high end items in his collection...as are many of the ones who deal and sell fraudulent items...it's not personal, it's business , many people deserve a better cleaner hobby ...Beobachter seemed to have his heart set on finding an authentic LAH officer's tunic and look how his quest has turned out. I hope he does find one for himself eventually.

Back to the tunic "RESTORED" hah prove it...put together from unrelated parts including a fake monkeyed with cypher and most probably a Heer tunic with a name tag added or forged. What is the new price does it reflect that? Coincidence it appears in the same arena as many others over the past offered by a couple of shill dealers. Pathetic that anyone would jump to the defense of such a scam
      John you understand what i mean.

Comment

Lah

IMO they do make fake CupAl LAH Cyphers.

Comment

Quite a telling thread

Comment

Originally posted by Koguryo9 View Post
            How about that one on Craig Gottleib's site?
            The Eagle on that tunic was discussed years ago. See here. Also note price of the tunic...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ah+sexy&page=9

Comment

This thread is another eye opener that shows how rotten this hobby has become.

Finding the photos of the cuff title pre attachment was priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by The Other Brian View Post

Agree.
                The worst is people who are selling it are "high reputation" dealers...

Comment

So I learned a lot about drilled holes and other details.

Mmmh..yeah..smells like bad fish in here..

Comment

As a young collector starting out and only looking to buy higher end items from, I tend to agree. This is highly disappointing. For this hobby to grow and maintain the value of items, there has to be a new generation of collectors. What do you guys suggest for someone like me? It just seems like one land mine after another. I know there are a number of great sellers, but something like this is just so disappointing. It just makes me question if there is any point to spending hard earned money on it.

Comment

Take my word for it: This hobby has ALWAYS been like this, ever since some people figured out there were other people willing to spend huge sums of money without trying to first learn about what they were buying. But we are not alone. EVERY hobby with serious money involved (art and antiques especially) has its share of such people. We just talk about it a lot more, unlike the "genteel" collectors in other fields. There are LOTS of very good people in this hobby (something this thread also illustrates).

Comment

Well, on the upside, a few select forums and honest and hardworking individuals can expose some pretty high end attempts to pass of expensive items as something they are not.

On the downside, many have gotten away with fabricating and humping up items and selling them to trusting collectors for many decades now. There is a lot of crap out there sitting in old collections and a lot of people have shelled out a lot of money for garbage.

My advice would be to stick to easier and more common stuff like here officers tunics,basic insignia, and "safe" stuff. Be paranoid. Try not to be too trusting, nor ambitious.

Sad to say but in every area of third reichcollecting, the high end items are a nightmare minefield and the amount of money involved induces many to push crap to the unsuspecting.

Accusing people of fraud is a dangerous proposition. Tougher to prove fraud than defamation/slander, and our area of collecting is not one that a great many people endorse or have sympathy for.

End of rant.

Comment

I really can't recommend any of the high-end dealers. They are out to make a profit, not necessarily help or educate a new or novice collector. My advice would be to be patient, befriend other collectors, and wait for unquestionably good items to come along - it will take longer, to be sure, but I think you'll sleep better at night.

The story that was recounted in the pages above is essentially a repitition of similar stories that have been on the forum before, whether it be bogus SS lab coats, humped-up"personality" daggers, or other high end put-together or outright fake tunics. Every year is a new litany of woe.

I really enjoy this hobbby, as fraught with land mines as it is, and I am lucky enough that when I started collecting the stuff I got burned on was not in the four to six figure range as we see nowadays. Today, the tuition in the school of hard knocks is quite a bit steeper. I also have very good friends in the hobby that I can trust to shoot me straight when I ask them for opinions. I deal with them almost to the exclusion of dealers. Don't give up on the hobby - as Leroy said, there have always been turds int he woodpile. Now, at least, withthe internet, you can get a lot of informed opinion on an item before you pull the trigger. Good luck!

Don

Originally posted by wolfslair44 View Post
                          As a young collector starting out and only looking to buy higher end items from, I tend to agree. This is highly disappointing. For this hobby to grow and maintain the value of items, there has to be a new generation of collectors. What do you guys suggest for someone like me? It just seems like one land mine after another. I know there are a number of great sellers, but something like this is just so disappointing. It just makes me question if there is any point to spending hard earned money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                            However, it is good to see that the description of the tunic at Oakleaf Militaria has changed to reflect the fact that it has been restored.

It would still be nice to see a close-up of the area above the right breast pocket
                            Kris sent me this:

It has come to the attention of Oakleaf Militaria overnight that the Adolf Hitler Hauptsturmfuhrer Mendryzk tunic displays partial restoration and was originally described as an unaltered original. Oakleaf would not have offered this tunic as an unaltered original had this been known prior to the listing. Oakleaf worked hard to promote the tunic through mass marketing and presentation on the website knowing full well that it would be scrutinized by the collecting community for its authenticity. The description has been edited to include that the tunic has been partially restored with a price listed commensurate reflecting the restoration. Oakleaf maintains that the tunic is indeed that of Hauptsturmfuhrer Mendryzk’s as reflected by the original tailor’s label, nametag and accompanying service information. The shadow of the missing cypher indicates that an original LAH cypher was originally present.

Sincerely,

Kristian Anderson
                            Oakleaf Militaria, Inc.

Comment

I dont see it on his site at all now...!

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                              Kris sent me this:

It has come to the attention of Oakleaf Militaria overnight that the Adolf Hitler Hauptsturmfuhrer Mendryzk tunic displays partial restoration and was originally described as an unaltered original. Oakleaf would not have offered this tunic as an unaltered original had this been known prior to the listing. Oakleaf worked hard to promote the tunic through mass marketing and presentation on the website knowing full well that it would be scrutinized by the collecting community for its authenticity. The description has been edited to include that the tunic has been partially restored with a price listed commensurate reflecting the restoration. Oakleaf maintains that the tunic is indeed that of Hauptsturmfuhrer Mendryzk’s as reflected by the original tailor’s label, nametag and accompanying service information. The shadow of the missing cypher indicates that an original LAH cypher was originally present.

Sincerely,

Kristian Anderson
                              Oakleaf Militaria, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
                                I dont see it on his site at all now...!
                                Still there:

http://oakleafmilitaria.com/1310so1.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X