This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Public Apology from Al Haag

This is a public apology for the Al Haag scam, and a short explanation as to why it happened.

As you all know, I am totally convinced that the vast majority of the so-called 'Dachau tabs' are fakes. Yes - vets did bring back insignia from Dachau. I don't question that. But I do not think that all of the ones which have been flooding the market since the '70s are one and the same batch as the vet bringbacks.

The trouble is, I can't prove it. And no-one wants to believe it, especially all the collectors with stacks of the 'Dachau' tabs. I totally respect Bob Hritz and everyone else, Gary included, who believe that these tabs are real. But none of us is perfect. I have made many mistakes in my collecting years, and I am sure they have too.

I had hoped that 'Al' would bring someone else out of the woodwork who could produce real evidence of these things being fakes. There were signs of some reaction, both here and on the GDC site, but the whole thing backfired and that's that.

What this has taught me, among other things, is that no-one is really anonymous here - even people who don't exist! We can all be 'tracked'.

Anyway, I think I've said enough. Hats off to Gary for being a real detective, and apologies to everyone else.

Because of this episode, I feel I have no option but to leave the Forum, much as I have enjoyed participating in the many discussions and friendly arguments. I have learned a lot from the Forum, and I hope that some members have picked up a few tips from my posts over the last few months.

In closing, I just wish to assure everyone that this was done with the best of intentions. I am convinced that someone, some day, will come up with incontrovertible proof that these tabs are just not right. I had hoped that 'someone' could have been me, but it was not to be.

Best regards to all,

Robin.

Personally, I feel that we need Robin Lumsden still on this forum, not the Al Haag, but real Robin as we (at least I) have learned to know by reading your posts.

-L-

Comment

Robin,
      what I really do not understand is why you did not start the discussion under your real name. Why hide it? For who and what? We are aware of the different opinions stated by several big collectors... and a good firm discussion can help us all. You can state your view on the matter, but I think you went too far with it.
      Final word: I do appreciate your apologies. It takes courage to admit a mistake.
      Last edited by Fred Fokkelman; 08-29-2004, 01:35 PM.

Comment

For me personally, an apology is enough. I was very happy with his knowledgeable contributions and his conduct in the badges forum.
        Last edited by Frank H; 08-29-2004, 08:19 PM.
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

I agree. For sure this wasn´t a good idea, but we all make mistakes. I am sure, the most will understand your intention and forgive you. I don´t know, who decides, if you stay, but if its on your own, think about it again.

all the best,
          Gerd

Comment

I appreciate your apologies. And as Fred already said: "It's take courage to admit a mistake".

Welcome back Robin,
            Junior.

Comment

It would be a shame for you to leave this forum, Robin, because you have great experience and knowledge as a collector and I think we will be the poorer without it. As far as I am concerned, your apology is enough to close the matter.

Comment

Hi Robin,

Thanks for giving an explanation for what you did. I hope you understand that most of us feel you tried to deceive us in some way and I hope you are sorry for it... But in fact nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes. Even my reaction on Theodor (who claimed he was Al Haag, went too far... And I'm sorry for it too, Theo) I think most members will forgive you and want you to stay on this forum, but I think you have to accept the fact that some people still might feel hurt in the beginning... Maybe it's a good lesson for all of us that we just can't "play God" on this forum, no matter how great our knowledge is or no matter how much money we can spend on SS stuff each month... Anyway Robin, I hope you realize you went 'a bridge too far' last week and that it wasn't such a good idea to play Al Haag... I won't burn your books for what you did because I like them too much for it... But I do not approve what you tried to pull... And I think you 'll regret it too for a long time... Let that be your punishment and let's carry on...

best regards,
                Gerd V

Comment

Dear Robin !

Despite all I wish You stay with us - You have a lot of knowledge to share with community. It was not good idea wih AH but I guess the incedent over after Your post above.

I do not believein Dachau stuff at all ...

Cheers,
                  Alex

Comment

Robin,

I followed the Al Haag saga with interest, but did not comment as I felt I wouldn't really add anything of significance to the thread. However, I feel that your presents here is indeed appreciated and welcome - even now. Yep, we all have made "bone headed" mistakes in our lives, but we move on. Should you decide that your presence on this forum is no longer an asset then so be it, but remember that most the membership is willing to put this episode behind us and move on with you on board.

Comment

al

From my perspective, apology accepted. You made a mistake, now let's move on. We have already lost one dear friend and collector this year in the SS forum and none of us could do anything about it. IMO we don't need another one to leave because we're angry.

Let us all rise above this and forgive, after all it's Sunday.

Marty
                      I love the beach.

Comment

re

Just want to give mine opinion on this one:

1; If Gary didn,t took some action ,how long you would have played the game??
                        2: If you don,t believe in something and others do,don,t force other people to change their opinion
                        3 ; On the other hand you have some great expertise on other items
                        4;Don,t run away from the problem Robin,stay and give yoursellf a second change
                        sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Well, leave it to me to be the voice of dissent. I don't care if you(Robin) decide to stay or go, I don't really think it's a matter for you to decide but rather the forum administrator and moderators. It is an insult to me, and should be to the rest of the forum members, that you would call this whole scheme a 'mistake'. It wasn't a mistake, like oops I didn't mean to do that. What you did was a deliberate and planned attempt to deceive the collecting community - Why, because you had a hunch? You say that you were well-intentioned, and of course you expect us to take you at your word, so why then just not post under your own name and conduct a fact based discussion? Should we believe you now because you say you are telling the truth?
                          The problem you have created here is twofold. One, is the damage you have done to collecting community by being party to these kind of lies and escalating collector paranoia. Two, is the damage you have done to you're own name. Speaking for myself, you have no credibility to me as a collector nor as an historian. Did you even think about the ramifications this might have on your 'reputation' as a historian? Perhaps from now on, any future publisher will require you to use footnotes/endnotes when you write, just so we can all be sure...Robin, I think you nothing more than a lying, deceitful person and that you are a disgrace to the collecting community. For everyone who will surely say I am being to harsh, here's one to think about - How far would this have gone had Gary not put an end to it? How many more lies would have been told?
                          The saddest point for you Robin, and the one that truly speaks as to your character, comes from your own words: 'What this has taught me, among other things, is that no-one is really anonymous here - even people who don't exist! We can all be 'tracked'. Was this the lesson to be learned from all this? That even though you think you are being sneaky, you can't ever be sneaky enough. The irony here is just too much, as these are the words of a police officer. One would have thought that there was a different lesson to be learned here...John

Comment

Hmmm.... There was something hidden... We think it was revealed... But was it????? All of it? I think there is something much more deeper hidden!!!!!! To say it short, I spy an Al Q... eye in the SS forum sky!!!!!
                            ...just notice... AL Haag... just like AL Q...a /yes, I am using coded words :-)/. Further more... Lumsden .... Laden ..... This is an islamist attack on one of the essentials of the Western society and civilization - the SS collecting brotherhood

Come on Robin, your explanation sounds well, you made a mistake, everyone /but me / make mistakes, big deal. It is great to have you on the forum, just we shall noyt believe your words anymore , but otherwise it's realy nice to see you around

Seriously, seems you did not do it with bad thoughts, so the forum can move on, huh?
                            The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Apology accepted !

J still learned a lot from you when J was a young collector.

If it is your call, J think you should stay Robin. You have a lot to share.

Best Jens

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X