MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should a warranty on a item be ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole lifetime guarantee thing is ridiculous if you ask me and not worth the paper its written on or more likely not written on.

Comment

IMHO if the item is bad and sold as good, you should take it back also after 50 years.
      Selling fake stuff it's just a seller problem, that's it.
      People that refuse to do so, even after years, are, IMPO just scumbags (if the item is really bad, of course).
      A fake is a fake now and was a fake 19 years ago, plain and simple, there's no warranty time for fakes.
      I call it "personal credibility", you want respect, you must respect others.

Comment

buyer had no eyes ?

After 50 years ? why not after 70 years and seller's death ?

Comment

Hi all and thanks for your opinions.

I have now offered my customer the same price in cash I sold it for back in 1992 + a sufficient amount in addition.

Derek

Comment

That's very honorable. Your actions speak highly of you.

Originally posted by DeMil View Post
            Hi all and thanks for your opinions.

I have now offered my customer the same price in cash I sold it for back in 1992 + a sufficient amount in addition.

Derek

Comment

IMO A lifetime warranty of authenticity should be given when selling any relic of any type I would also say it should be in written contract form if it is a substantial amount of funds . most big dealers will provide this without question. With that said the buyer should also accept authenticity risk when dealing in military relics .

Comment

Warranty on a item

I have a lot of respect for you, DeMil, as you treated this customer with A-1 service. This is the 1st time that I've heard of an item being returned after such a long period of time, but IMO, you handled it like a true gentleman. I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't have refunded the customer's money, but my hats off to you for your decision to honor the refund.

Best regards,

Tom

Comment

Return all of his correspondence, including emails, marked "Deceased".

Comment

If You don't mind, I personally have not even been collecting that long. How much did you sell the tunic for 20 years ago? What was one going for back then?

Inquiring minds (younger fellas) want to know!

Thanks,
                    john

Comment

your honour is true .

Comment

ask him

be honom kontakta mig
                        Så köper jag jackan
                        Ink6pspriset+25%

Comment

Originally posted by Ohlau View Post
                          buyer had no eyes ?

After 50 years ? why not after 70 years and seller's death ?
                          If the buyer had no eyes, the seller had even less, since he wasn't aware that he was selling a fake.
                          Sell a fake is a crime, buy a fake is not.
                          To sell fakes is a fraud, that you are aware of that or not either, so, you cannot apply warranty rules to frauds in any case.
                          50, 70, 100 years, just BSting, if you sell a fake you must give the money back, stop, no excuses allowed here.
                          Of course, after that many years, you can deal on the amount to refund, you can find a compromise.

This is not the case of Demil anyway, that seems to be a Gentleman, so no problem.

Comment

Honest mistake or error is not fraud - at least not at the law school I graduated from - or any other jurisdiction I'm aware of. In fact, accusing someone of "fraud" when it is a simple honest error is libel, and you can be sued for that.

The law of mistake and contracts is a complicated one. Even though we like simple answers, let's try to separate opinions from legalities.

Good for MIL going beyond what is necessary.

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
                            If the buyer had no eyes, the seller had even less, since he wasn't aware that he was selling a fake.
                            Sell a fake is a crime, buy a fake is not.
                            To sell fakes is a fraud, that you are aware of that or not either, so, you cannot apply warranty rules to frauds in any case.
                            50, 70, 100 years, just BSting, if you sell a fake you must give the money back, stop, no excuses allowed here.
                            Of course, after that many years, you can deal on the amount to refund, you can find a compromise.

This is not the case of Demil anyway, that seems to be a Gentleman, so no problem.

Comment

I adree, Demil you are a perfect gentleman and I'm not sure that all the poor guys who bought fake 20 years ago will have the same luck that your buyer...

Comment

Originally posted by sjl View Post
                                Honest mistake or error is not fraud - at least not at the law school I graduated from - or any other jurisdiction I'm aware of. In fact, accusing someone of "fraud" when it is a simple honest error is libel, and you can be sued for that.

The law of mistake and contracts is a complicated one. Even though we like simple answers, let's try to separate opinions from legalities.

Good for MIL going beyond what is necessary.
                                That's a thin line, and you know better than me.
                                Otherwise every crook on the planet would eventually declare that he is not selling fakes, he had just made some errors.
                                Even if you do it for error and if it's a mistake, you can be culpable, I don't actually know the term in english, but is something like "incautious sale".

Anyway the issue here is pretty clear: if you sell something that turn out to be a fake, it's your responsability only, even if it was an honest mistake, plain and simple...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X