UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should a warranty on a item be ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post

I do work very hard to ensure that anything I sell is original, to the best of my knowledge and belief. If I have have a grave mistake, I will try to work with whoever bought it. I did make a refund, after 13 years, because I know the buyer and I now am aware the item was not an original medal. That was a mistake I made and I had to live with it. In those days, there was not the immediate ability to check something out via internet and instant transmittal of information, photos, measurements, and weights.
    So does this imply that moral obligations could warrant a refund in some situations - regardless of the amount of the time that has transpired?

Comment

19 years after deal and "and give me my money back" ?

what a insolent guy - probably easy way to the fast cash.

Comment

Really I wish a Happy new Year to this GREAT school of life.

Thanks to you , I am studying here, it's amazing...

Kind regards,
        Salvatore

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
          So does this imply that moral obligations could warrant a refund in some situations - regardless of the amount of the time that has transpired?

Yes, each circumstance must be examined. Morality is certainly taken into consideration. Of course, that is for very old transactions which were devoid of the ability to instantly have the item examined by persons with expertise.

As for a deal done today, the 'reasonable period' would be enough time for the items to be checked vis internet or throught the buyers expert. After that, the deal is completed and finished.

Bob Hritz
          Last edited by Bob Hritz; 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM.
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

no way

sure
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by VonBond View Post
              Agree, call it 10 years, but thats the way it is in UK law............
              That's COOL! in the U.K., after 10 years of marriage you can dump your wife for a new model, no questions asked?

P,s, just messin' around to close the old year have a good one
              Jp

Comment

Originally posted by John Pen. View Post
                That's COOL! in the U.K., after 10 years of marriage you can dump your wife for a new model, no questions asked?

P,s, just messin' around to close the old year have a good one
                Jp
                My first one only lasted 5 years, before I sent her back

Comment

Remind me to never buy anything from you! You wouldn't happen to live in Littleton, Colorado and attend shows in tie-dyed teeshirts by chance??

I believe there is certainly responsibility on the part of the buyer to ensure what he/she is buying is original if that is how it is being represented - however, the onus is on the seller to ensure what he/she is advertising as "original" is in fact actually original. Today there is absolutely no excuse for somebody selling a piece to not do his/her homework to ensure its originality (likewise the buyer as well, although in some cases that may be impractical such as something catching the eye of a collector at a show and that person having to rely on the guarantee/expertise of the seller until such time that the proper degree of self-study can be done to authenticate it). IMO it is criminal negligence if a seller does not vet his own pieces, or worse yet, does and passes a bad piece as original knowing full well it is bad.

I don't know, maybe something was lost in translation, but if that is the way we should approach this hobby then we'll certainly see less interest by young people.

BTW, I think 19 years is a bit ridiculous, but do agree that today's price for the stripped tunic probably is more than what the sale price was back in the day.

Originally posted by Kurt Meyer View Post
                  I think it's he's job to find out if the jacket is 100% orginal with buying it and not after 19 years..

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Is this serious, claiming after 19y!? C'mon, I bought stuff at that time and didn't know if 100% good or not. With the knowlegde we have today and the internet and forums and good reference books collecting has become a different and smaller knowledgeable world.
                    When you sold it is was done in good faith and with yesteryears knowledge.... It was his responsibility aswell to buy and be a believer so the answer is NO to my humble opinion.
                    BTW the tunic is fine so he's not completely at loss.
                    Just move on! (We all learned the hardway haven't we ?)
                    kapitein

Comment

yap!

Comment

I can't believe that it took him 19 years to figure out that the insignia is not original!

Comment

Originally posted by DeMil View Post
                          Hi John.

I have only a small memory of this SS tunic and I do not remember any details about the insignias at all. The fellow I have had little contact with after this sale so I have to only trust what he is telling me.

Derek
                          From the oustide perspective, I say in this particular situation, with all the facts presented; You do NOT owe him a refund. Just tell him that it's been too long and your not 100% cetain that it is the same insignia. Tell him that you now are keeping photographic records of your sales to keep this from being an issue forward. And state your current return policy(unless it's lifetime*).
                          tell us how it turns out, whatever you do.
                          Jp

*but o.k. if it's "U.K. lifetime"

Comment

Heck, I wouldn't think of trying to get a refund after 19 years, I wouldn't have the impudence.

We've all been burnt, it comes with the hobby... Call it learning misstakes.. All you can do is to try to educate yourself as much as you can, to try to avoid it in the future. Having said that I would expect a claim for a refund within a few months.

Comment

I think after 19 years he has had enough time. Like someone said earlier how do you know he has not tampered with the product. The fact that you have put this much thought into it, and not just blown the guy off as a nut, shows you are honest. 19 years heck I had hair back then and I dont even want that back. good luck happy new years
                              Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                                Yes, each circumstance must be examined. Morality is certainly taken into consideration. Of course, that is for very old transactions which were devoid of the ability to instantly have the item examined by persons with expertise.

As for a deal done today, the 'reasonable period' would be enough time for the items to be checked vis internet or throught the buyers expert. After that, the deal is completed and finished.

Bob Hritz
                                As a lawyer practicing in California, I do not know what the law is in Norway on the subject. I can only say that in the US, when the contract is based on the originality of the item in question, the statute of limitations begins to run not from the time of sale, but from the time of discovery that the item is not original. In other words, the buyer even after 19 years, if he discovers that the insignia is bad, would have the right to sue for breach of contract and rescission of that contract, and a refund of his money, based on the misrepresentation of originality, whether intentional or negligent. Whether he prevails is up to the judge or jury, which could certainly consider such a delay in rendering a verdict.
                                Sorry Bob, the sale is not always "final".
                                Gary.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X