Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should a warranty on a item be ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should a warranty on a item be ???

Hi all.

For exactly 19 years ago I sold a SS tunic to a collector.
    I sold it then as original but now the buyer has found out that the insignia on the tunic are copies.

So my question is - for how long time should I as a seller give warranty on an item ?

Regards

Derek

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL COLLECTORS

I think it's he's job to find out if the jacket is 100% orginal with buying it and not after 19 years..

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by DeMil View Post
      Hi all.

For exactly 19 years ago I sold a SS tunic to a collector.
      I sold it then as original but now the buyer has found out that the insignia on the tunic are copies.

So for a how long time should I as a seller give warranty on a item ?

Regards

Derek

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL COLLECTORS
      Most the time like any contract or agreement it depends on the conditions made at the time of sale. In business in almost all cases if no agreement was made allowing it, after that much time there would not be a return allowed. Are you 100% the insignia is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
        Most the time like any contract or agreement it depends on the conditions made at the time of sale. Are you 100% the insignia is bad?
        It was a normal sale of a SS tunic I then thought was good. We did not have any contract or agreement other that I sold an SS tunic with original insignia.
        Yes the insignias are bad but the tunic is original.
        I did not have the experience on SS items back in 1992, compare to what I have today.

Regards

Derek

Comment

19 years? Seems a bit over the top to me...... Just my opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by DeMil View Post
            It was a normal sale of a SS tunic I then thought was good. We did not have any contract or agreement other that I sold an SS tunic witht original insignia.
            Yes the insignias are bad but the tunic is original.
            I did not have the experience on SS items back in 1992, compare to what I have today.

Regards

Derek
            If you did not tell him he could return it for the rest of his life IMO it would be very unusual to accept it but in the end it is up to you.

On a positive note in 20 years the stripped tunic's value may now exceed the price you sold it to him for so maybe in the end you would come out ahead by taking the return and restoring it correctly, especially if it is named etc.

Comment

Here is a picture of the tunic I sold for 19 years ago and what I then thought was original.

Derek
              Attached Files

Comment

19 years and a return - that would mean everybodies darling is everybodies fool - move on!

Comment

I think in the UK, unless some other agreement has been reached, you have 24 hours to return, though many dealers offer a 7 day return.

I returned a helmet after about two years and was refunded my money and it was then resold within a week. He offered a return for items of uncertain originality, without a time limit, as far as I understood it.

19 years is way too long, IMO, to expect a refund, even if a life-time guarantee was offered, as in law (in the UK), 10 years is the normal length of such, or so I think I remember.

Jerry

Comment

Perhaps it did have original insignia when you sold it, and since then he, or some one else, has switched it for fake? Do you remember if this is the exact insignia it had while in your possession?
                    How much do you trust this fellow? Has it always been in his hands for the 19 years? There are lot's of questions and it also depends on buyers character and your relationship with him. It also depends on your trust and generosity.
                    JMHO,
                    Happy New Year and good luck,
                    Jp

Comment

I have a list of whiners and complainers who always want to return things years after the sale. I have compiled it right here from WAF members.

I do not understand the lack of personal responsibility and the belief in a RISK FREE PROFIT GUARANTEED hobby. I have never heard of such an endeavour and do not believe it exists.

My policy is simple: after a reasonable inspection period, the sale is final.

I do work very hard to ensure that anything I sell is original, to the best of my knowledge and belief. If I have have a grave mistake, I will try to work with whoever bought it. I did make a refund, after 13 years, because I know the buyer and I now am aware the item was not an original medal. That was a mistake I made and I had to live with it. In those days, there was not the immediate ability to check something out via internet and instant transmittal of information, photos, measurements, and weights. There is NO EXCUSE for failing to do DUE DILLIGENCE before you buy something and while you have your in-hand inspection.

Bob Hritz
                      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by VonBond View Post
                        19 years is way too long, IMO, to expect a refund, even if a life-time guarantee was offered, as in law (in the UK), 10 years is the normal length of such, or so I think I remember.........
                        So why call it a "lifetime"? .....just call it 10 years then(and get a receipt)....No?
                        Happy New Year!
                        Jp

p.s. Just state and receive terms at time of sale......preferably in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pen. View Post
                          Perhaps it did have original insignia when you sold it, and since then he, or some one else, has switched it for fake? Do you remember if this is the exact insignia it had while in your possession?
                          How much do you trust this fellow? Has it always been in his hands for the 19 years? There are lot's of questions and it also depends on buyers character and your relationship with him. It also depends on your trust and generosity.
                          JMHO,
                          Happy New Year and good luck,
                          Jp

Hi John.

I have only a small memory of this SS tunic and I do not remember any details about the insignias at all. The fellow I have had little contact with after this sale so I have to only trust what he is telling me.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by John Pen. View Post
                            So why call it a "lifetime"? .....just call it 10 years then(and get a receipt)....No?
                            Happy New Year!
                            Jp

p.s. Just state and receive terms at time of sale......preferably in writing.
                            Agree, call it 10 years, but thats the way it is in UK law

All the best to all for the new year

Comment

7 days, not more, except if you're a dealer with a full time live guarantee.
                              19 years c'mon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X