No announcement yet.

At a Special Place ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago I got to see AH's HQ in Ukraine, Werewolf.. Overgrown with brush but I found many tunnels, air vents and even a special pool. The pool was beautiful. Large pieces of beautiful marble around it.
    My next visit 3 years later I said to myself 'I gonna get me a nice piece of that marble'. When I got there it was all gone! So still looking about I did take a piece of a air vent.
    When I went to a locals house for some vodka and 'salla' I passed by the kitchen to the bathroom and saw a piece the freaking marble being used for a cutting board at the house!! The guy tells me people started going and taking for use, and there's nothing left anywhere except the booby traps underground! O. K., end of my silly story!

Comment

A somewhat similar 'souvenir' excursion: In 1977 while visiting the Remagen Bridge, I noticed a rusting US Army watercraft on display behind the towers & in it were little pcs. of loose rusty slivers of metal, & as a keepsake of some sort of my visit, I reached in & appropriated a tiny pc about an inch long & 1/8" thick. Later that month while visiting the Dachau Camp Memorial Site, I bent over & picked up 2 small pebbles from the walkways. Have I ever thought of putting these fatuous mementoes up for sale? No. No way. I consider these trifles to have no monetary value, & it's my opinion that neither does rubble. But they say that beauty & value are in the eyes of the beholder. Maybe so, & to each his own. But as for me, I keep this junque tucked away in a drawer, & there's no way I'd display these aesthetically unappealing objects inamongst my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
        do stupid things as a visitor in other nations and they never let you in again or send you back home where u belong. Germany should also take better care for such stupidity ...
        Agreed.

Rob

Comment

Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year, Rob.

Cheers,
          Mil

Comment

For Sale;
            1 large block of stone from the foundation of the Brooklyn bridge. $50
            You must pick up on site. Will provide instructions on removing.

Comment

rubble

little weasel would sell his soul for a buck
              hmmm...
              definately should be banned from entering germany
              or any other country where he can robb from historical sites

Comment

Originally posted by fritztk View Post
                hmmm...
                Well, their garbage cans at least!

Comment

Originally posted by fritztk View Post
                  hmmm...
                  This kind of behavior is childish and stupid.

Have we sunk to name calling? Weasel....really....???

Comment

Originally posted by fritztk
                    anyone that steals pieces
                    from a war memorial is a weasel

AND THATS ME BEING POLITE..
                    WHAT IF HE STOLE PIECES FROM ARLINGTON ??
                    WOULD YOU BE SO SUPPORTIVE ??
                    Great answer, but unfortunately the "winners" get to make up the rules, as history tells us.

Comment

Speaking of taking "souvenirs";
                      (what's all the fuss about?)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/...tz_sign_stolen

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=401685
                      Last edited by John Pen.; 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Silesien View Post
                          m-e-h-t,,, I agree with you that grubbing pcs. from/at/off the Feldherrnhalle is contemptible.

In my opinion, it's akin to the cretins in the US who steal those old solid bronze military flag-holders from our cemeteries to sell them as scrap. Once these are stolen/missing from the graves of military members, & the families no longer have the "thing" to stick their flags in on Memorial Day, our US Marine Corps Veterans Association has to purchase aluminum ones with a bronze coating, as it's price-prohibitive to replace them nowadays with bronze ones.
                          Yes, It's absolutely pathetic. Sad to say, but both of my Grandfathers and a great uncle's (all were ETO WWII vets) grave sites were pillaged and had their bronze flag holders stolen To think that someone would stoop as low as this...... Despicable!!!

We've re-purchased bronze holders but only use them on veterans day. The rest of the year we use the bronze plated aluminum holders you mention to hold their flags.

Rob

Comment

I had long suspected that there were a lot of 5 year olds on daddy's computer trying to act like knowledgeable collectors, but I think it's been proven.
                            Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

I have erased some posts. We do not tolerate personal attacks. If you want to call someone names, write a letter or call.
                              B&D PUBLISHING
                              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X