X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Names

Originally posted by Hohenstaufen View Post
    Gtmvet427,

I am the new and very proud owner of the banner! You can see why I went after it.

The banner is a textbook piece with a long history behind it. I will not show close-ups of it, but as Mr. Toncar and Mr. Hritz stated in another thread, there are details in the embroidery that the fakers can not or have not been able to duplicate.

Also, to the non-believers of this piece, you truly have no idea what you are looking at and should, therefore not pursue into to world of SS cloth!!!

I have been a collector for over thirty years. It should be known that Mr. Toncar, Mr. Hritz, Mr. Pepera, and Mr. Delich have been collecting way longer than me and have seen or handled a ton of original SS material for a combined total of 150+ years! I consider all of them mentors, not only to me, but to this hobby. Their knowledge on the subject matter is un-rivaled and should be respected by everyone.

Regards, Grant

PS - I added a couple of gentlemen to the list of mentors who also have a vast knowledge in the SS collecting field.
    .........but what about the previous owner of this world class piece of SS cloth, Dr. Ronald Distelhorst?

Comment

Peter,

Kristian did not and would not disclose the source to me about who owned this piece. I did however find out who originally turned up these banners back in the mid 70's through other sources.

I remember years ago, back when I was in Middle School, when the OVMS Drawbridge show was held for a short period of time down the highway at the Erlanger exit. I believe it was a Days Inn hotel and Dr. Ron had some amazing stuff on his tables. I still remember that he had an awesome WSS Officers fine doe skin wool Pinked piped visor hat in excellent+ condition. One only wonders where it is now. Back then, there was some really rare stuff on tables and available and the fakes were very obvious. Those were the days!

Regards, Grant

Comment

I remember years ago, back when I was in Middle School, when the OVMS Drawbridge show was held for a short period of time down the highway at the Erlanger exit. I believe it was a Days Inn hotel and Dr. Ron had some amazing stuff on his tables. I still remember that he had an awesome WSS Officers fine doe skin wool Pinked piped visor hat in excellent+ condition. One only wonders where it is now. Back then, there was some really rare stuff on tables and available and the fakes were very obvious. Those were the days!

Regards, Grant
        I recall those days - vaguely. I too was in Middle School, and this was probably the very same show where I was originally "bit" by the collecting bug. I still recall the smoke in the air, the smell of mothballs, and the 70's-era decor . . . amongst all of the treasures. To this day, I still have that very first item I brought home that day - a DD Heer helmet. I knew what I was looking for, and I even recall how much it cost me - a very hard-earned $25.00!

Yes - those were the days!

Comment

Congratulations, Grant. I would have loved to buy the trumpet banner, but have other irons in the fire. I am aware of it's history and location, for decades, and there was never any question, among knowledgeagble collectors, of it's authenticity.

Again, hearty congratulations on obtaining a fine piece of history.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I also have seen this banner in person and it is an original beauty.

Comment

As you can see that im new to this forum. I was interested in buying the ss trumpet banner and i got on to ask your guys opinion what you thought of it before i spent so much money on 1 item. Im new to ss items and i thought asking your opinions would be helpful. I was looking at this trumpet banner or the infantry 4 by 4 standart on the 3rd page of the site: Military collectibles inc. I have herd that you guys have hundreds of years of experience combined. Im into uniforms and now choose to purchase a very nice flag or trumpet banner, so i went on this forum because i value your opinions. With all of the fakes and repos out of the middle east and europe it is a little scary to spend this much money without having people look at it first. So if you guys dont mind can you give the same great opinions on the army standart i would appriciate it. Thanks all!

Comment

Wow, simply stunning work. Congratz

Comment

Everyone,

Thank you for the replies on this wonderful piece. Bob, I sent you a Private Message did you get it ? Regards, Grant

Comment

about years ago OVMS Drawbridge Show ???

...I did however find out who originally turned up these banners back in the mid 70's
                    ...the OVMS Drawbridge show was held for a short period of time down the
                    highway at the Erlanger exit. I believe it was a Days Inn hotel and Dr. Ron
                    had some amazing stuff on his tables. ...One only wonders where it is now.
                    ...Regards, Grant
                    Hello Grant:
                    Was that OVMS show back in the 1970's too? Just curious, as I bought for $100
                    back then a SS battalion flag poletop at such a show, but never knew who from,
                    on the same table (photo from show) was this SS schellenbaum, now in the
                    DS collection who paid $10K for it later at a MAX Baltimore per another WAF
                    thread. Early on in my collecting I didn't know who was who.
                    ................... OLDFLAGSWANTED ...............
                    sigpic
                    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Enjoyed seeing such a close unit related item to a regiment of the eventual division I've written about for 25+ years. More "close" than any DE Standard cloth as the box is the connection in that case.

I've been private shown a couple others from other prewar units, the craftmanship is hard to believe in person, especially the skull.

Just for my own historical interest, have any of the Bataillon/Abteilung flags for any SS/VT units survived ?

I published a photo of that for the reconnaissance detachment with its "AA" corner patch (unit formed June 1939). I've seen Pioniersturmbann flag images and a few others for individual Deutschland battalions, but never saw anything of that type in person. With artillery formed the same month as reconnaissance they could have had one, and of course one for Nachrichtensturmbann SS/VT is confirmed in some well known photos.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmvett427 View Post
                        As you can see that im new to this forum. I was interested in buying the ss trumpet banner and i got on to ask your guys opinion what you thought of it before i spent so much money on 1 item. Im new to ss items and i thought asking your opinions would be helpful. I was looking at this trumpet banner or the infantry 4 by 4 standart on the 3rd page of the site: Military collectibles inc. I have herd that you guys have hundreds of years of experience combined. Im into uniforms and now choose to purchase a very nice flag or trumpet banner, so i went on this forum because i value your opinions. With all of the fakes and repos out of the middle east and europe it is a little scary to spend this much money without having people look at it first. So if you guys dont mind can you give the same great opinions on the army standart i would appriciate it. Thanks all!
                        The 4 X 4 infantry standardt is original.

If you can swing it, go for the panzer swallow tail he has listed as it includes the battalion ring which these days can be quite difficult to obtain.

You might want to contact Steve Wolfe or Neil Hardin http://www.wolfehardin.com/index.html as well to see what they have to offer since you are considering spending this kind of money on a potential center piece for your collection. This dealer group does not advertise on the net per say, as their listings only represent items in images without pricing. They often times have hidden away gems & becuase of that be prepared to be left breathless as they can and do have the creme de le creme of 3rd Reich collectibles.

Let us know what you finally end up being charmed into buying.

Comment

Peter,

Kristian did not and would not disclose the source to me about who owned this piece. I did however find out who originally turned up these banners back in the mid 70's through other sources.

Regards, Grant
                          Grant-
                          Congratulations on a great addition to your collection. I also have seen this piece and concur with my old friend Bob Hritz that the embroidery quality of the era will likely never be available to the fakers. Your point on the quality of fakes in the old days is a point so many of we senior collectors continually make to the newer collectors. Yet, on a regular basis, we see quotes on line referring to high end fakes from the 60's and 70's.
                          If memory serves me correctly, your trumpet banner was one of two aquired from a vet along with a Deutschland kettle drum drape. Wonderful piece!!

Comment

Re

Originally posted by gtmvett427 View Post
                            Save yourself 18k and purchase one of the three available from Collector to Collector. Not sure of the condition vs one another but thats a hell of a gap in pricing. Less the tassels of course. Just a heads up, Regards

Comment

Originally posted by m b chisholm View Post
                              save yourself 18k and purchase one of the three available from collector to collector. Not sure of the condition vs one another but thats a hell of a gap in pricing. Less the tassels of course. Just a heads up, regards
                              colector to collector has luftwaffe standarts the one im looking is a army one. Also all thanks for the good advice. Gregg

Comment

Ben, Thanks for posting the pic of the TV Schellenbaum flag. Dick Swan must have a awesome display of SS flags.

Over last weekend, I was shown a picture of a SS flag with III / 4 in the corner with a skull "Ostmark" . This piece was bought in a hotel buy in Cleveland years ago along with a DE Standard w/ pole top and a NSKK Standard with its pole top as well. wonder where that flag is now ?

Bob, Yes, the Deutschland banner came in along with a TK banner and another SS one, but I didn't know that a Deutschland Drum Skirt came with it. Do you or anyone else know where it went to ?

Regards, Grant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X