Rare Photo of Galicia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Askold View Post
    Great photos Nick! In the last photo we can actually see one of the division's chaplains. Galicia, Waloonien and Handschar were the only three SS divisions as far as I know to have field chaplains.
    It turn out to be a great thread after all keep those wonderful historical pictures coming! It should be noted that the French and the Spanish Blue Division also had field chaplains.

Rene Chavez
    http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

Rare Photo of Galicia

Fellow Collectors,

Does anyone know what happened to most of these brave Galician volunteers at the end of the war and after?

Thanks,
      Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by stefanob View Post
        Hi,
        very nice photos!! Beautiful thread!
        Here my humble (and only) contribution.
        Find in Italy with documents of an italian officer....3 friends!
        Best,

Stefano
        very nice Stefano

Comment

A Great Thread

Honestly, a Really Great Thread!

We just don't get to see Photos of this SS Unit often - and the thread contributors have really given us a treat! MORE! ... Txs, Dave/dblmed

Comment

Originally posted by DKNYC71 View Post
            Fellow Collectors,

Does anyone know what happened to most of these brave Galician volunteers at the end of the war and after?

Thanks,
            Dave.
            Hi Dave,

Majority actually survived the war. The Pope interviened and managed to save them from re-patriation to the Soviet Union. Another argument was that they were never Soviet citizens to begin with. After Italy, majority ended up in Britain - where they were forced to serve another two years in labor camps and after then they were set free. Many remained in Britan and large numbers settled in US, Canada, Germany and Australia. Very few in Spain and Ireland. Some ended up in Brasil and Argentina. Many former NCO's were university students - some contined with their study and later became prominant businessman or univesity professors.

Comment

Originally posted by Askold View Post
              Hi Dave,

Majority actually survived the war. The Pope interviened and managed to save them from re-patriation to the Soviet Union. Another argument was that they were never Soviet citizens to begin with. After Italy, majority ended up in Britain - where they were forced to serve another two years in labor camps and after then they were set free. Many remained in Britan and large numbers settled in US, Canada, Germany and Australia. Very few in Spain and Ireland. Some ended up in Brasil and Argentina. Many former NCO's were university students - some contined with their study and later became prominant businessman or univesity professors.
              Thank you very much Askold, very interesting, especialy about the intervention of the Pope on their behalf. Is there a good book out there about the Galician volunteers?

Thanks,
              Dave.

Comment

intervention of the Pope

Not only - also Polish pre 1939 citizenship status........

Comment

Dave, if you're truly interested in the history of the this division, I suggest you read "Galicia Division, the Waffen-SS 14th Grenadier Division 1943-1945" by Michael O. Logusz, ISBN: 0-7643-0081-4. It's 411 pages of history and 142 pages of notes!!! The research behind this book is impressing, down to the daily schedule in their training camp at Heinelager. Their activities in Ukraine after 1945 is worth mentioning, especially in regards of the simularity to the FNL and how they conducted their warfare.

cheers
                  Peter

Comment

I think it would be interesting to add some post-war photos:

Grave of divisional kommander Fritz Freitag:

Ukrainische Gedenkstätte in St. Stefan, Steiermark - cared for by the local community in recognition of Galcian service in defence of the area

Ukrainische Gedenkstätte in Gnas, Steiermark

Ukrainische Gedenkstätte in Bad Gleichenberg, Steiermark

Ukrainische Gedenkstätte, Kriegsgräberstätte Feldbach, Steiermark

Comment

There is also a fair ammount of Galicia division veterans in Ukraine. Most were captured as prisoners during the Brody pocket. While officers were executed, enlisted men were sent to Siberia. Survivors of Uranium mines, some of those guys are still pretty tough:

Mykhailo Bendyna, machine gunner, uranium mine survivor. Still over 6 feet tall.

Early 90's photo. Note the flag:
                      Last edited by Askold; 01-31-2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Askold,

Absolutely stunning and impressive, thanks for sharing!

Peter J,

Thanks for the heads-up on the book!

Regards,
                        Dave.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by besslein View Post
                          very nice Stefano
                          Thanks Besslein,
                          I like it too (one of my prefer).
                          Best

Stefano

Comment

I know many have seen this before,i thought i would post it for those who have not seen it I know it is not a photo but it is in keeping with the subject
                            Cheers
                            Dave.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thought I would share few Galicia photos I managed picked up some time ago:

Training at WH artillery school (most likely in Porshetz, Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia)

Comment

I think this would be an interesting photo to share. Galicia div. in POW camp in Rimini Itlay. Note the uniforms:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X