Interesting statue on estand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vid View Post
    I will wait and see what someone has to say about the plaque and the fonts used. Whatever was used to take that wreath in half it was clean. Looks like a torch. The runes are weird and almost look like cut outs of Iron.

Its a solid piece I am told as well. The problem with pieces like this is you cant tell when the amendments were made, 1941?. Someone would really have to like this a lot to move into the piece. It is a neat item, but the value is really up to the buyer. I do not think the piece comes near the asking price, but that is my opinion.

I would actually like to see what gets said about this piece myself. But the piece itself in its original form is no doubt original, and the finish looks o.k. If somone one can call the plaque as post war, the piece would have to follow. And I do not care for the plaque personally.

Best,

Kris
    Kris, it did not start life as an SS item. Thus it is fake. That is not a period done job. Even the mount to the bottom is not particularly old.

Comment

Sal,

These pieces need to be taken down inch by inch and looked at. You are free to make that call if you wish. I am down to the plaque, if we cant get an answer to that, then I will go to the base.

Whats the hurry?. Slow down my friend, these are nice items to look at and toy with. Sometimes things are just not black and white. . I have seen some pretty weird pieces that were real.

The plaque is the key I think, but whether its real or not does not really matter as the market value is low. Personally "its fake" or "its fantasy" does not do it for me. I like to look at things.

If you want to harp on photo's on E-stand, then start a thread for photo's on e-stand. What you posted for here is opinions on this piece. The seller has already listed a bad piece of porcelain if I am not mistaken, this is probably #2.

Best,

Kris

Comment

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the comments and opinions. I'm happy to get all this info about it. Myself, Im a bit more expert in paperwork, then in this kind of "hardware".

But, thats why we have the Forum, and thanks to Sal to put it there.

For myself I took it of my sales list in meantime, will wait for further outcome. And of course I think I have sold so far only good items to all my customers. And if I have a repro or postwar I would put it in the bazaar.

So, thanks to all so far and happy reading and writing.

Thanks, Kai

Comment

Sal,

These pieces need to be taken down inch by inch and looked at. You are free to make that call if you wish. I am down to the plaque, if we cant get an answer to that, then I will go to the base.

Whats the hurry?. Slow down my friend, these are nice items to look at and toy with. Sometimes things are just not black and white. . I have seen some pretty weird pieces that were real.

The plaque is the key I think, but whether its real or not does not really matter as the market value is low. Personally "its fake" or "its fantasy" does not do it for me. I like to look at things.

If you want to harp on photo's on E-stand, then start a thread for photo's on e-stand. What you posted for here is opinions on this piece. The seller has already listed a bad piece of porcelain if I am not mistaken, this is probably #2.

Best,

Kris
          Ok Kris, but as far as I can see it would have had to be officially, or at the most generous, unofficially modified during the period to be "original" in any sense of the word. But I agree no reason not to look at it further.

Since Kai took it off his sale list there is no harm. I was concerned while it was up for sale. Thanks Kai

Best, Sal

Comment

It's the wording on the plaque that puts me off.

The prize should relate to a particular sport, or Junkerschule course................not just '1st Prize in the SS Sports Contests'.

It doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
              It's the wording on the plaque that puts me off.

The prize should relate to a particular sport, or Junkerschule course................not just '1st Prize in the SS Sports Contests'.

It doesn't make sense.
              But what about that the wreath is cut, and the runes are soldered to the hand? Did the SS have to modify items? It sure seems like they made everything else properly. Suddenly they are poorly modifying statues? In 1941???? Maybe, just maybe, if it was in the early thirties but by 41?

Comment

Sal,

Best,

Kris
                Are you and Robin contemplating that this was officially made, or that it was hand made/modified for some local small SS sport event?

Best, Sal

Comment

The base speaks against it strongly to me, I work with wood and it ages/colors over time. Regardless of if it sits flat against a table. It would age/color less , but more than that since 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Sal Williams View Post
                    Are you and Robin contemplating that this was officially made, or that it was hand made/modified for some local small SS sport event?

Best, Sal
                    Sal,

I think I know what this is, it was modified and it was done a long, long time ago. Throw the base and the plaque out of the equation entirely. The piece was never intended to make sense.

Kai where did you get this and from who??.

Best,

Kris
                    Last edited by Vid; 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM.

Comment

This piece was never re-plated, it was original. And the runes were not made but were pre-fab. They were cut out of another piece.

There is no attempt whatsoever to hide what the guy did to this piece, if there was and it was re-plated then he would of no doubt plated the runes as well. And the plating is showing every trait of being original, look at the wear at the waist. If I were going to grab this piece where would I reach? the waist.

I would bet that this piece was bought home from the war as an Olympic figure. Either the person who bought it home or someone else got creative with a second piece that came home with it. Maybe a medal or whatever. He cuts out the runes and hand finishes the edges to place them inside what would have been a hollow wreath. But they don't fit.

So, he takes a torch and cuts the top of the wreath off, leaving a blob of melted plating and pot medal on the top of the right arm of the wreath. He does not care, he probably cut up a piece worth more than the statue to get the runes.

He solders the runes in place and he is done with his trophy. Not exactly a hack job but not meant to deceive either. Someone comes along and buys the piece and adds the base and the plaque and probably removes the original marble base that this would have sat on and looks to cash in.

Sounds crazy I guess, but if the runes were hand made, he could have made them fit, but he was not interested in that as it would be time consuming.

This was a cast piece, and the blob of metal on the wreath is not a casting flaw. That saw extreme heat.

Whether this is what happened, I really cant be sure. But whoever did this piece was not trying to hide his work. And unlss someone wants to bless that plaque its a reasonable explanation. A Veteran and a tinkerer is responsible for this piece.

jmo
                      Last edited by Vid; 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

a half-wreath with the ends seeming to be crudely chopped off and, especially, runes emerging from a victor's fingers seems ... peculiar.

also ss sports kit didn't include civilian belts with metal buckles did it - let alone bare chests. tho I realize uniform details don't always apply to IIId reich art.

anyhow, while a nice casting and possibly silver-plated (any marks?) to me it looks put together.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X