Replies with explinations or not poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replies with explinations or not poll

How many wouldlike to see there posted questions answered with better explanations as to how a person arrived at thier conclusions vs. the oh so common "sorry its fake" "Fake sorry" "Crap" " I could entertain a doubt" etc. ?

1.Better explanations

2.one liners
    Better response explanations
    83.81%
    The usual one liner no info
    16.19%

The poll is expired.

John, for my view and time I spend in this hobby I can say many people try it very easy these days to get a good or non good on their items. An explenation or an one liner is always pending what is it about.

Comment

Exactly

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Decisions

A lot of decisions are made with the G U T ! Those are hard to explain.

Comment

Well maybe we could have a new "Originality Forum" thread section. There a member can post a bunch of items and others could given the thumps up or down. Then this thread would drop off after a week. It seems like that is what most of these thread are anyways, is it good or bad, ebay items, etc, asking about a dealers item, etc... thanks by-by! Then if the thread drops off after a week, we don't have to worry about it clogging up all the good informative historical threads with photos, etc... Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

It's true well i do admit that collectors nowadays are quite fortunate, they get instant answer if item is real or fake, and do not really do much research on their own having a detail explanation is really a bonus

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              Doc - is that with your lower or upper intestine? Are you eating chili and beans before your gut gives you the answer?

While I voted for explanations, it does depend on the person asking. If a new collector has purchased a fake and asks for explanations I think that is reasonable. They want to learn and may need the evidence to get their money back.

However, a lot of collectors are satisified with the "good item" or "bad item" answers.

Comment

How about if a fellow asks "What do you think about this, and WHY"?

Then the one-liner response kind of goes out the door, and most of the wise-guy's have no business responding at all! (unless they just want to continue being a wise-guy, of course . . .)

Brad

P.S. If someone comes here asking a question or seeking an opinion, I think it's only courteous if you respond with an explanation for your response. I understand the underlying angst held against the "day-trader" collectors that keep coming around, but don't you think all of the one-liners become just as irritating? For me, it makes even opening up a thread all that much more boring . . .

Comment

There is a difference between an ultra rare Mess Dress badge and a mass produced issued item such as a tunic. I dont think that "bad" serves a purpose when lets say a high end fake uniform is shown for opinions by a collector. The threads on these forums like them or not serve to better educate the collector forums since the begining of time were developed for people to get together and DISCUSS various topics in an academic setting. Books are one media for learning,video, and these forums. Even if you dont like something because your guy says its bad due to the shape of the runes or oakleaves or the type of piping. Saying that gives the poster some idea why you dont like it as opposed to "its bad" etc. There is ALWAYS a reason, wether its something wrong with the item or you just dont like it because Joe Blow expert tells you not to,or you just enjoy seeing people squirm and say everything you dont have is fake until you have one.Sometimes I think the latter reason is often a tactic to get at personalities you may not like either, unfortunately it clouds the area of expert opinion.I can see protecting certain very rare items..but I think that they have figured out how to make damn good fake SS cloth insignias and rare tunics long ago.

Some even after studying books,cant always find answers and the answers are in a gray area..forums help with decision making in these cases.For instance I recently picked up a Gold HJ member pin marked M1/70 according to the forums these are questioned as possible repros (no book I know offers this info) due only to the way they are marked, there were no definitive reasons given in any threads to determine authenticity..but my decision to keep it was based on Ron Weinand explaining how he picked one upin a veteran purchase pinned to a flag. So forums go a long way to educate despite the tedious "is this real whats it worth" ebay type item threads.

Comment

I should also mention how many times you see a member over and over post a one liner response and later learn that they never even owned or saw in person the type of items they offer opinions on.

Comment

The right answer would be to explain why IMHO.
                      Problem is WHO actually have the time to allways explain why an item is bad? When you have done that time after time to newcomers you become fed up with this.

Sometimes its hard to put the finger on it because its about gut feelings as good Dr expressed.

I actually think that a lot of guys here remain silent because they have an opinion but cant allways explain, or have the time to explain, or search their files to compare. And if they explain they will get reactions from this or that Mr trigger. A feed back reaction for some people will be to remain silent next time. Or they text that one liner so they do not have to point out different details that Mr Hot shot will try to nail you about.

A simple yes or no is better than nothing IMO.

Then comes the fact if youre a famous collector or a no name guy. A simple yes or no from this famous collector will do the trick but not from the no name guys.

Its a complex question but I lean towards explaination even if I dont follow this myself at all times. But I will express my opinion when I want and when I have to and when Im in the mood and have the time
                      Last edited by Felix; 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Same here Felix, thanks for that honest opinion, im guilty of short answers but mostly with common items that are mass made in pakistan.

Comment

Being paranoid I voted for the one liner and if I wanted particulars, I would PM someone and get specifics that way AFTER I thoroughly researched the item using the advanced search feature on the forums. Why should I ask for a repeat of information and be lazy?

Oh yes... the paranoia. Well... there will come a day, if it hasn't already, when a reproduction is so good it is NOT detected and these people are not stupid. If I wanted to "perfect" my forgery, then I would hang out on these forums and learn what I did wrong until I get it right.

I think the information sharing is a balance, with the onus being on the member to research as much as he can BEFORE he asks for help.

Comment

I've never subscribed to the stock argument against explainations that you're giving the fakers too much information. IMO; the faster bad items are uncovered the better it will be for everyone involved in collecting. I lost interest in the Helmet section of another forum where virtually everyone posting there had a "no explaination" attitude. I will continue to take the time to explain what I think is wrong with an item in areas where I feel qualified to do so.
                            Jim

Comment

The problem with long, drawn out explanations is that you put the time and effort into a good explanation, showing examples of originals, etc. and that is fine... then a short time later somebody else comes up with another of the same item and wants the same explanation. People just think this Internet is so great because they can access information so easily; they don't have to do their own research. If you're into this as a hobby, you should be learning as much as you can about it and be happy in the learning. Being force fed all the knowledge may be good for beginners, but the old guys get tired of hashing over the same stuff because people won't use the SEARCH function and do their own research. How many threads per week are started on this forum on METAL HEADGEAR INSIGNIA? We must have a thread (or 2 or 15) on every eagle and skull manufactured during the war by various manufacturers, and even more on the fakes. Why cannot people use the SEARCH function and do their own homework instead of starting another thread on a duplicate piece of insignia?

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X