SS Ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

There are plenty of fakes of these rings knocking about, and so I would advise caution if you see one and just presume the one you see is a good one because of this thread.

I am interested about the stones. Gaspare may be able to answer this, but does anyone know if rather than garnets, a cheaper 'stone' was used. I have heard of imitation stones being made from what I think is a paste type material and coloured to look like the real thing

Best wishes

Raymond

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Griffiths View Post
      There are plenty of fakes of these rings knocking about,
      Isnt that always the way
      I am taken aback by this thread there is always something more to learn about TR items every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
        Funny how the mob instinct rises to the surface when an Item Is beyond certain members limited experience. Real playground stuff. This Is why certain very respected individuals never even look at these forums and others of less standing are too scared to post lest they be ridiculed. Sadly these forums are becoming less of a learning tool and more of a repository for self opinionated individuals who really need to get out more.
        How very true.

Comment

Alan.

Here are a few of the others I have, showing just some of the variations. Price-wise, there is little to separate them.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a ring like Alan's, with bones to the side, being worn by a member of the Leibstandarte-SS 'Adolf Hitler'.
            Attached Files

Comment

The skull rings were also especially popular with men of the SS-Totenkopfstandarte 'Oberbayern'. This photo also shows the SS bayonet knot, often mistaken for a sword knot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Griffiths View Post
                Does anyone know if rather than garnets, a cheaper 'stone' was used.
                Red glass was also used.

Comment

Are you keeping well, Don?

Nice to see you here!

Comment

"I have seen rings of this type many times and to be honest i always thought they were unrelated to the TR era....that is of course until i read this thread "

There are very similar rings produced pre war and postwar.. Pick up some of the old US 'Mechanics Illustrated ' magazines from the 1950s and you'll see very very similar rings advertised in the back,,,similar,,not exact...

*whether its red, blue or green 99% of the time they used glass in the eyes..

Comment

Gaspare, please read your emails and pm´s!

Thanks, marc

Comment

SS private purchase ring example

Here is a more overtly "SS" private purchase ring of mine. It may perhaps elucidate how some SS men would indeed, go ahead and get an unofficial "death's head" ring on their own, if perhaps, they did not have the coveted official TK ring bestowed upon them.
                        This one happens to have been not ordered out of the newspapers of the time and instead a jeweller was privately commisioned to make this version.
                        --Thanks to Gaspare for giving me much of the info on this ring.
                        ----Michael
                        Attached Files

Comment

And another 'SS'. Not mine, unfortunately.
                          Attached Files

Comment

SS ring with black enameled top

I frequently see repros offered which feature SS runes on top of a black enameled face or Ring bezel. Sometimes they feature foreign SS units. Can anyone tell me if they were based on original designs? If so, has anyone this type of original ring? or pics of them? or photos of men wearing them?

http://www.nazijewelry.com/Enameled_...ng%20Front.jpg

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/shopima...rman_ring9.jpg

Comment

Concerning just these 2 pieces from your links :
                              The SS motto ring is a fantasy piece. There were none commercially produced for retail with the SS motto. A custom made ring is another story altogether...

2nd ring, [bottom]. Many want it to be authentic. But to date , again, for a commercially made for retail ring, there has been none with 100% German vet provenance, no period advertisements, no photos in wear.
                              *That one looks particularly weak.. let someone else get them..

If you'd like to view rings you can always do a search here and see many fine examples..

Or check out these sites with ring/jewelry forums:

In English-

http://worldwarmilitaria.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=042090573&f=074097573

In German-

http://www.militaria-fundforum.de/forumdisplay.php?f=85

In Russian-

http://sammler.ru/index.php?showforum=194

Comment

The first ring is really nice, it looks like the one red eye came out and was flipped around? or replaced, but I would think replaced as it would be hard to find it once gone

I kick myself in the ass for selling mine many years ago, when I started collecting stick pins I was lucky to get 12 that were gathered up by one man and sewn onto his USMC Green Khaki cap going around the sides. I sold it to someone in Sweden from what I remember and now that my old computer lost all the files I don't have shots of it anymore... very sad really, but oh well maybe he will read this and post?

But back to the rings, here's a shot that I have on file someone has, I'm sorry that I can't say the name as I forgot but he has a very nice collection of them as you see.

thanks greg koepp
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X