SS Ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Ring?

Attached are a series of photos I shot a few years ago of a silver ring brought in by a summer clerk working at my law firm. According to the owner, the ring was brought back by his grandfather who served as a physician in the ETO during and after WWII. Family lore associates the ring with a concentration camp, although the grandson had no specific details or documentation to back up this concept.

The grandson did indicate that his grandfather provided medical treatment to German POW's as well as former concentration camp inmates, and that the family has a large album of photos taken by the grandfather at concentration camp(s). At the time my thoughts were that the ring may have been a gift from a German POW to whom the grandfather provided medical care.

Any thoughts or opinions on this ring? Any information is appreciated.

Alan Smith
    asmith@bakerdonelson.com
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

BTW: To the best of my recollection, the ring had no markings on it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Am I stupid or what has this to do with SS?

Comment

Peppe,

This ring may have nothing to do with the SS; the fact of the matter is that I don't know so I am asking for help.

I placed this post in the SS forum due to the fact that SS troops work skull insignia on their uniforms. Upon reflection, it comes to mind that the uniforms of the panzer troops also used skull insignia, so maybe this ring has to do with a soldier who operated armoured vehicles?

If you or anyone else have ideas for a more appropriate forum, please make a suggestion and I'm sure the Moderators will act on it.

I am very much "in the dark" on this ring and simply asking for help in correctly identifying it. Hence, all information is appreciated.

Alan

Comment

I personally think that this ring has never been connected with the ww2 period in any way, let alone being SS.

Comment

Oh this is too good.

I'll vote FANTASY.

William Kramer
                      Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Please keep the opinions coming. Given the source of the ring I would be very surprised if it turns out to be some sort of post-war fantasy piece, but you never know - that's why I'm asking for opinions.

Comment

Alan.

The ring is an original private purchase piece from the 1930s. These skull rings came in many guises and could be bought and worn by anyone, but were popular with tank crews, Hitler Youth, army engineers.............and the SS. They were also commonly used by members of Masonic Lodges.

They have been widely faked, but yours looks good to me.

Here's an advert from a period catalogue.............
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Alan, skull rings were a popular private purchase item with many German troops in WW2. This item has no official connection with the SS or any other arm of service though.

Mike Gaspare is the man to talk to when it comes to deathshead rings.

Cheers, Ade.

PS. I see Robin beat me to the draw, but has added more info than I had to hand.

I have added a deathshead ring from my collection. This was taken in Normandy by a Canadian soldier. I does not have stones for the eyes. But you may find it of interest?
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a collection of these things, but here's one of my favourites. It's in solid gold, with rubies for eyes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X