• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another with red eyes.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
      Alan.

The ring is an original private purchase piece from the 1930s. These skull rings came in many guises and could be bought and worn by anyone, but were popular with tank crews, Hitler Youth, army engineers.............and the SS. They were also commonly used by members of Masonic Lodges.

They have been widely faked, but yours looks good to me.

Here's an advert from a period catalogue.............

Thanks, Robin. Nice to see someone who is actually helping they guy!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post
        Rob.

Alan is obviously a genuine guy, with a genuine question.

That's unusual over here, these days.

Comment

Thats the most ive ever learned about these non issue rings in one sitting!

Comment

Robin:
            Out of curiousity; have you supplied pics. of any of yours for inclusion in Gaspares book? He has three of mine.
            Jim

Comment

Very nice to learn something new. Good thread.

Comment

Thanks everyone (especially Robin, Rob & Adrian) - I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge with such detailed replies.

As you can see, the ring in question has red stones for its "eyes". I guess these are rubies? I'm not a gem expert. If I recall correctly, a ruby is a semi-precious stone?

Would anyone be in a position to place an approximate dollar value estimate on the ring I have posted?

The deal is that the ring is owned by a well-to-do local family, who also have some other military relics from the grandfathers' service in the ETO. I have not had any contact with the family in several years, but now that I have finally gotten around to soliciting opinions on the ring, I would like to renew my acquaintance with the family and see if they might be willing to sell the ring and/or other relics.

At the time I photographed the ring it was not for sale, and I got the impression that the family thought it to have a high intrinsic value due to the rubies and/or a high value due to alleged "SS" or concentration camp association. Based on the replies herein, it sounds like the ring would be a nice addition to my collection, but it is certainly not any type of "rare" or exotic item associated with the SS, concentration camps, etc.

Alan

Comment

Alan.

A ring like that would usually sell for around £100 GBP or $200 USD............maybe a bit more to the right buyer.

The red eyes could also be garnets.

Comment

Bill has lots of these for sale at present althought after reading this thread they are misinterpeted as SS Rings.

http://therupturedduck.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
                      Bill has lots of these for sale at present althought after reading this thread they are misinterpeted as SS Rings.

http://therupturedduck.com/
                      I don’t think they are mislabeled so much as we are all aware “SS” is a selling point. I mean realistically what jumps out and sounds more appealing to a potential buyer, “SS ring” or “Third Reich era ring with armed forces association”

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJager1944 View Post
                        I don’t think they are mislabeled so much as we are all aware “SS” is a selling point. I mean realistically what jumps out and sounds more appealing to a potential buyer, “SS ring” or “Third Reich era ring with armed forces association”

Regards,
                        I take your point

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                          Thanks everyone (especially Robin, Rob & Adrian) - I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge with such detailed replies.

As you can see, the ring in question has red stones for its "eyes". I guess these are rubies? I'm not a gem expert. If I recall correctly, a ruby is a semi-precious stone?

Would anyone be in a position to place an approximate dollar value estimate on the ring I have posted?

The deal is that the ring is owned by a well-to-do local family, who also have some other military relics from the grandfathers' service in the ETO. I have not had any contact with the family in several years, but now that I have finally gotten around to soliciting opinions on the ring, I would like to renew my acquaintance with the family and see if they might be willing to sell the ring and/or other relics.

At the time I photographed the ring it was not for sale, and I got the impression that the family thought it to have a high intrinsic value due to the rubies and/or a high value due to alleged "SS" or concentration camp association. Based on the replies herein, it sounds like the ring would be a nice addition to my collection, but it is certainly not any type of "rare" or exotic item associated with the SS, concentration camps, etc.

Alan
                          Alan, i would agree that the price is right at 200 or a little more. Last one i had i paid 300 for and it was quite similar, with garnate or how ever you spell it, in the eye sockets. They are interesting things to have. I don't have any currently but do know where i can get a few of them. I love the variations between the rings. good luck with getting it, hope you are fortunate enough to have it. 2 Lt. Matt

Comment

Alan, that is a good well known pattern.. Yours appears to be a very nice condition example.. There are of course period ads like the one Robins shows. Some will even advertise the red eyes.
                            Also if your lucky and study enough photos you'll see this ring in wear in period photos.
                            Could be for a SS man,,,or really, for anyone during the period that had the money to buy it.. Very popular with German soldiers though!..

There are a few sites that just show/discuss 3rd Reich period rings.
                            This one in German:
                            http://www.militaria-fundforum.de/forumdisplay.php?f=85

And, another in English:
                            http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?...73&f=074097573

Nice ring.....,G.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson View Post

Rob
                              Agreed, funny how the mob instinct rises to the surface when an Item Is beyond certain members limited experience. Real playground stuff. This Is why certain very respected individuals never even look at these forums and others of less standing are too scared to post lest they be ridiculed. Sadly these forums are becoming less of a learning tool and more of a repository for self opinionated individuals who really need to get out more.

Well done Ade and Robin.

Comment

I have seen rings of this type many times and to be honest i always thought they were unrelated to the TR era....that is of course until i read this thread

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X