No announcement yet.

Hohenstaufen on Hannas reich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyvind, et al - I was in Arnhem and Oosterbeek in January 2005. Much of the German kit at the airborne museum seemed to be put together items - I felt that most of the uniform items were real, but that there was a lot of bad insignia attached to them - I am not a CT expert, but if you saw the M43 close up, it had quite a bit of mothing and repairs, while the cuff title was pristine. The wrap seemed way too new overall for my taste. There was only one older lady working at the museum, so I couldn't ask a curator, even if there was one. There were a lot of signs that said "donated bya local family/veteran etc.", but some of the stuff on display was just plain bogus. I'll defer to Ade on this, but the British kit seemed pretty realistic as far as what you would expect condition-wise. Still, one of my favorite museums!

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
      The greater part of what I reviewed leaves me wondering about just what is 'great' about this site...

Are we so desperate (today) that we accept crap like this and to top it off call its praises?
      Since this thread is about the tunic, I would like to know what makes this "crap". Looks pretty good from the pictures, and certainly IMO does not rate that judgement without a hands on inspection. I would like to know how you arrived at that from the posted pictures, maybe a red flag I have overlooked?

Comment

Originally posted by DonC
        Oyvind, et al - I was in Arnhem and Oosterbeek in January 2005. Much of the German kit at the airborne museum seemed to be put together items - I felt that most of the uniform items were real, but that there was a lot of bad insignia attached to them - I am not a CT expert, but if you saw the M43 close up, it had quite a bit of mothing and repairs, while the cuff title was pristine. The wrap seemed way too new overall for my taste. There was only one older lady working at the museum, so I couldn't ask a curator, even if there was one. There were a lot of signs that said "donated bya local family/veteran etc.", but some of the stuff on display was just plain bogus. I'll defer to Ade on this, but the British kit seemed pretty realistic as far as what you would expect condition-wise. Still, one of my favorite museums!

Don
        I have always found the term "Museum quality" to be one of the dumbest most meaningless terms in the world of collecting. Some of the worst junk is in museums. I have seen a number of museums put together things for display purposes. I know of a few famous ones that monkeyed with stuff like crazy to get what was needed for the current display. Mostly this was done decades ago when there was little interest or value to this material.

Comment

As usual you wont get an explination from Dave Kane he is above us all and vaguery is his forte.....in his head at least. A self appointed dealer assasin, throws mud at people and runs without saying why. I would ask the moderator to check out his statement as I believe he has once again violated the site rules.

As for the Museum pieces they are accurate enough for a museum which is based on preserving the memory.Im glad they arent real that would mean they werent available for collectors.

Comment

there's just too much offered and would take forever to elaborate on
            Then I suggest you start now then since it is going to take so long

Comment

I like the SS-BW stamp in this tunic. Looks like a good one to me.
              If the back panel shows some fading from sunlight, I may know the history of this tunic. If the new owner wants to contact me, I will elaborate.
              Doug

Comment

Doug, I thnk that was a different tunic you are thinking about. It wasn't a Hohenstaufen...Tom

Comment

I hope we can keep a semi-civil tongue here as some of the players involved were also involved in the visor thread(s) that got closed.

I'd like to know what Dave gave a thumbs down to as well...was it the sold tunic, the stuff shown in the museum posts, the Concentration camp visor mentioned, or the other headgear on that site, as Dave is a headgear guy?
                  Last edited by fknorr; 08-12-2006, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for the reminder. This is indeed a different tunic. Too bad, as the one that I was thinking of had a great history to it and was 100% correct IMHO. I still regret not grabbing that one and the beautiful set of pants that were with it.

Doug

Comment

Hohenstaufen Eagle

Here's the Arm Eagle -a very rare bird indeed
                      Attached Files

Comment

a bell bottom in the enlisted version, first time seeing one ever! Ive seen the tropical and officer versions but not this its a very rare type.

Comment

Mike, there's just too much offered and would take forever to elaborate on....so yes, my general comment was a bit broad!

Poser, please! HOJJ has been closed for years
                          Mr. Kane, I really have no idea what you find so offensive about me or my site, and items there for sale, why you should choose to attack my business in such a vulgar fashion? I have never had any dealings with you, and know nothing of you , other than you seem to drive people who are upright and well meaning from this forum, I refer to the witch hunt on messers BC,DA. This type of attack is unfounded, and out of order, I wonder why or what agenda you have? Its not a US v European thing, as you have already hounded fellow citizens out. You obviously have nothing better to do I guess. I was always taught unless you have something nice to say, dont say it at all.
                          Martin Stiles
                          Hannahsreich.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan
                            The runic tab and both Hohenstaufen cufftitles in post # 8 are fake. And the Hohenstaufen cufftitle and Frundsberg cufftitle in post #9 are fake. This is very typical for a museum. Most don't know the difference between originals and fakes, nor do they care. I interned at a musuem for a summer and I have seen this first hand...John
                            Do you really think that 90% of the visitors of the Airborne Museum give a crap if it is original stuff or not.

Comment

Why should they?, they just want to see how it looked like, and don't care if it is orginal, some items for sale now are already top prices, what would it do if collectors/salers know that for example 4 museums in Holland would like to have lets say an orginal Hohenstaufen uniform!

I don't know how it is in the States but in the Netherlands most military museum are self supported and could not pay the prices, people will ask in such occasions.

And some items are probalby so scare that with in a sort replica is the only option

Comment

Originally posted by Kriegsmarine
                                Why should they?, they just want to see how it looked like, and don't care if it is orginal, some items for sale now are already top prices, what would it do if collectors/salers know that for example 4 museums in Holland would like to have lets say an orginal Hohenstaufen uniform!

I don't know how it is in the States but in the Netherlands most military museum are self supported and could not pay the prices, people will ask in such occasions.

And some items are probalby so scare that with in a sort replica is the only option
                                Kreigsmarine is correct. Many museums do not care if the item is real or not they just want to show the way it looked. A replica or put together serves the purpose as well as an original to show the public.Cheaper and easier to please 99.999% of the public then a few picky collectors.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X