Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReichsHeini
    John Hodgin:
    How does someone "express concern" about originality on an item that they do not collect. How do you make that opinion if you are not a collector? I don't get it - let those that have some experience in an item give a poster opinions rather than someone who does not know that area.
    Because I have friends with very advanced W SS collections and have held two originals, both with direct veteran provenance, (one is pictured here) that are not like Gunbunny's cap. Was just trying to help; will not make that mistake here again. Will stay in Fj were perhaps I am less offensive to you.

Not knowing the style of eagle on GB's cap, I would have passed on it were it offered to me. Never saw swas arms so short on any other know TR eagle.

good bye
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
      Ah, just because one does not collect in a particular field that does not mean he may not be familiar with it. That seems obvious...
      I would have thought that obvious too (assuming a person is reasonable).

B. N. Singer

Comment

Last edited by Bobwirtz; 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

people sure do have a hardon for insulting other collectors and prompting them to leave here lately.

Comment

gunbunny, I think your tropical cap eagle is a copy but tropical skull is 100%
            ok, I have that style eagle and threads melt, sorry.
            maybe gary wood or mr hritz could confirm.

Comment

Burn test

Originally posted by wisches
              gunbunny, I think your tropical cap eagle is a copy but tropical skull is 100%
              ok, I have that style eagle and threads melt, sorry.
              maybe gary wood or mr hritz could confirm.
              Wisches, I tried the burn test and the eagle failed and the skull passed. I knew the skull was good but wasn't sure about the eagle as indicated above. It was necessary to cut some of the stitches to do the test or I would have tried it before. A very elaborate fake! Watch out for this one. Again, thanks to all for your imput.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunbunny
                A very elaborate fake!
                Thanks for telling us this Gunbunny! Very good of you, just sent you a PM. Welcome to the Forum!
                Regards,
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

For John H.

John,
                  By all means don't stop posting or posing questions based upon Your experience and amount of material (Tropical or not) that has passed throught Your hands. Many other Forum Members Myself included don't want to see You or others swayed from stating an observation about a piece of insignia or whatever if You feel uncomfortable about it. After all, that is what this entire Forum is about isn't it? DJB

Comment

Originally posted by David B.
                    John,
                    By all means don't stop posting or posing questions based upon Your experience and amount of material (Tropical or not) that has passed throught Your hands. Many other Forum Members Myself included don't want to see You or others swayed from stating an observation about a piece of insignia or whatever if You feel uncomfortable about it. After all, that is what this entire Forum is about isn't it? DJB
                    I agree 101%!!!

John, it has been great to see you posting here also, other than the Fallschirmjager forum. It would be a great loss if you left!!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Tony, Bob, Mike, Mr. Singer, and David. These thoughts are really appreciated!

Have traded some nice PMs with Gunbunny about the cap and the eagle, it's now apparent that only the tropical skull is authentic. Would like to know why ReichsHeini declared that eagle authentic, for I assume this is his area of collecting.

Regardless of all that, I believe this has been an interesting and important thread, and I did enjoy being part of it.

Regards and thanks,
                      John
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi fellas, what's your opinion of this one?
                        http://www.hannahsreich.co.uk/shop/v...ph=1165&phqu=5

Comment

Great thread and some great caps! I have learned quite a bit.

Come home John!
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

This is a very interesting thread and I thank all for sharing their caps and photos, brings collecting this stuff alive.

I have one of these SS M41 Tropical caps. It has had its insignia removed and was picked up in Croatia at the wars end I believe. I have always suspected that the badges on these caps were hand applied but seek the confirmation of others on this point.

What is interesting about my cap, it has been manufactured by "Schmid & Menner", this is the same manufacturer as the SS Tropical side-cap which Bobwirtz has posted images of. The manufacturers stamp is shown on page 144 of Gary Wilkins book along with other pictures of the cap. Gary states that this manufacturer only made SS caps and the stamp is rarely seen. Does any other member of the forum have an SS Tropical M41, Tropical side-cap or SS cap by this maker ?

Another interesting point on my cap is the grommets, they are the same as the ones found on an SS camo cap and illustrated on pages 138 and 139 of late Micheal Beavers book on SS camouflage uniforms. These are the classic grommets to look for on a period SS camo cap but has anyone seen them used on an SS Tropical cap ? It does not seem impossible that if Schmid & Menner only made caps for the SS then this would be the gromments they would have had in stock.

Look forward to reading what others think or have seen, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK
                              Hi fellas, what's your opinion of this one?
                              http://www.hannahsreich.co.uk/shop/v...ph=1165&phqu=5
                              ben,
                              I think this cap is a real one! it conforms to construction, color, materials and even size stamping of documented originals, shame about missing insignia!

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin
                                To repeat:

But if the eagle is bad, what then about the cap?
                                Nice eye! Regardless of the burn test this eagle does exhibits characteristics of copies other than what caught John's attention.
                                I had other concerns about that cap but the eagle wasn't one of them.
                                Cheers Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X