Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very interesting thread , great pics

Comment

In one of the photos there are some crushers being worn I would love to see what these look like close up.

Comment

This one has moderate wear and is sun bleached (uniformly).It also is a single vent hole style. There is a picture in the History of the 4th SS Polizei Pz Gren. Division published by Munin-Verlag showing a piece similar to this one. Cheers Steve
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Steve Pardon; 08-08-2006, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP
          This one has moderate wear and is sun bleached (uniformly).It also is a single vent hole style. There is a picture in the History of the 4th SS Polizei Pz Gren. Division published by Munin-Verlag showing a piece simular to this one. Cheers Steve
          Steve is the eagle a grey thread example or is it just the light or faded? Thanks Rich

Comment

Another tropical cap, opinions please.

Here's a Waffen SS tropical cap I picked up recently. The skull is original but I haven't found any reference to confirm whether the eagle is good or not. It looks similar to some non-tropical eagles in Kit Wilson's book on SS headgear but pics were not sufficient to draw a conclusion. Cap has some things going for it. The insignia is sewn on prior to the assembly of the cap and thus no stitching shows through to the lining. The eagle is sewn on by placing it upside down, running the first stitch along the top and then flipping it over and finishing it. Typical of what I've seen on other original TR cap and breast eagles. The lining is exactly like that in an original Army tropical I own only in tan instead of red. Only marks are the size stamp. Any thoughts?

Note piece of lining material still stuck in vent hole.

Inside front of cap. Note lack of stitching from insignia.

Comment

Better views of the insignia from the first cap pictured on this thread have been requested by many, here they are.

Gunbunny, I have concerns with the eagle and the skull on your cap. But I do not collect SS, and so will leave judgement to those wiser than I.
              Regards,
              John
              Attached Files
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

The skull matches exactly one in my collection that came from a Dachau stash. It's the tropical version of what appears to be the most common of all WSS BeVo skulls. The one usually seen on the field cap and the fez. A silver wire version also exists. A recognition feature is that "solid" front tooth. My concern as mentioned above is with the eagle.

Comment

To repeat:

Originally posted by John Hodgin
                  I do not collect SS, and so will leave judgement to those wiser than I.
                  But if the eagle is bad, what then about the cap?
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Both insignias are 100 % original!

/Felix

Comment

I'm w/Felix both are fine IMO. Gunbunny's is unique,the first I have seen with machine sewn insignia.
                      Rich, the eagle is tropical. Nice photo's as usual Cheers Steve

Comment

the eagle as well as the skull is a nice tropical one IMO too!

Dan

Comment

here is gunbunnys' adlers' cousin in grey thread.......
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys!

Thanks for your responses! They are greatly appreciated! I love this site!!

Comment

Those insignia are 100% real GunBunny. No question about that.

John Hodgin:
                              How does someone "express concern" about originality on an item that they do not collect. How do you make that opinion if you are not a collector? I don't get it - let those that have some experience in an item give a poster opinions rather than someone who does not know that area.

Comment

Originally posted by ReichsHeini
                                Those insignia are 100% real GunBunny. No question about that.

John Hodgin:
                                How does someone "express concern" about originality on an item that they do not collect. How do you make that opinion if you are not a collector? I don't get it - let those that have some experience in an item give a poster opinions rather than someone who does not know that area.
                                Ah, just because one does not collect in a particular field that does not mean he may not be familiar with it. That seems obvious. I don't collect daggers but I know a bit about them. Maybe I don't understand your comment.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X