Dachau M43 and Printed Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dachau M43 and Printed Trap

Is there any chance these caps and the insignia are real?

The originally of this cap seems to fall in the same arena as the infamous 'pink' M42 smock.

Before jumping to conclusions, several aspects of this cap are compelling (see the following pictures). It is very well constructed. Opps... I just realized this may be in the wrong forum (meant to put this in the 'Headgear' section...)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John-M; 03-31-2006, 11:05 AM.

Trap

Here is the bevo trap. Any comments are welcome as to whether or not it is real.
    Attached Files

Comment

Button Key Hole

Construction of button hole is well manufactured in a typical period style, right down to the extra reenforcement at the 'base' of the button hole (not 'slit' style often found on repro M43's)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John-M; 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Back

Reverse shows 'bias' material re-enforcement along the top of 'fold down' flaps.
        Attached Files

Comment

Exposed card board and interior

The card board is exposed and the interior is made of twill identical to that found in early war m40 tunics. There are no stamps or markings. There is some stress to the card board. I should mention the fabric is identical to late war shoody wool found in many M43 four pocket tunics. Is their any hope?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John-M; 03-30-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I would have my doubts on this one. Not good IMO,

Glenn
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

As far as I know, the only printed insignia was the sleeve eagle and it was never actually used. If this statement is true, then this cap insignia doesn't really exist and the cap isn't one that I have confidence in either -- insignia or not. Sorry. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz
                As far as I know, the only printed insignia was the sleeve eagle and it was never actually used.
                I do not believe there is any photographic or documentary evidence that the printed sleeve eagles were issued, but a forum member recently acquired a large lot of original vet bring-backs which included a printed sleeve eagle which was at one time sewn to something. It seems a good piece of evidence that the printed sleeve eagles may in fact have been used at some point very late in the war.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=145558&page=2

Comment

Take a look in the old Bender article on SS headgear insignia.
                  You will see the printed trap example and discussion of same.

Comment

Am i wrong or the button onthis cap is as big as atunic button?

Comment

ReichsHeini Can you delete some PMS so i can PM you?

Comment

okay done.
                        It was in an early copy of the Military Advisor - I have it somewhere at home. "SS Headgear Insignia" on cover.
                        I believe maybe some of the older collectors (i,e; Bob Hritz, David Delich) have mentioned that they have seen these printed items that may be real.
                        I also know Delta International had some repro printed traps for sale.
                        I have never seen one but the cap you have is quite interesting!

Comment

Fabric Comparison

Just to add to the discussion, the material is identical to M43 italian style wool. Here is a comparison against an M43. Material looks as it is came off the same bolt of cloth (however flash does show slight difference not noticable in regular light). Thread on the cap passes burn tests by the way.

I should mention this was purchased from a web dealer about 10 years ago as original - just part of the learning curve I guess. Noticed this dealer's site is now off line.

The button is the size of a regular tunic button.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by John-M; 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

My personal opinion is Bad, well made cap but i still think bad and the insignia also Bad, Sorry
                            cheers
                            Gary

Comment

John,

Send it to Pete Whamond here in Canada for a look, I am quite certain he will turn it down.

It seems to have some construction details of bad M43 caps manufactured in the mid to late 90's..Which would fit into the time frame that this cap was purchased.

I am not commenting on the insignia as I don't know..

Glenn
                              Last edited by Glenn McInnes; 03-31-2006, 12:08 PM.
                              "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X