No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Branch-Piped W-SS Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I'm at it, I want to thank everyone for their submissions on this topic. It's kind of like going to the doctor after a long time - at least you'll know where you stand. My research and overburdened hard drive now suggest the sale of 27 different branch-piped SS visors during the last 14 months on the major international webistes, with PZ leading the way at no less than 12 examples. I could not make this up. If you really need to see the doctor, show us your cap!

Comment

Bruce - I too would like to own the Riefkogel cap. Who wouldn't? A named cap to an SS Knights Cross winner in the Totenkopf Panzer Regiment. However, three people emailed me to say it did make it's way to Steve Wolfe. I can just imagine the astronomical price he would want for an SS cap with such a pedigree.

One odd thing I did notice about that cap is the way the grain runs on the front of the cap body - not the usual direction of vertical on the left side of the seam and 45 degrees on the right side.

I would like to see some close ups of the insignia on GN58's Panzer cap.

Comment

Riefkogel cap

There are a few things about the Riefkogel cap that would cause it's quick condemnation if not for the attribution that it enjoys. You named one concerning the unusual way the two front panels meet with the non-typical weave directions. There is also the matter of the lower feldgrau edge band meeting near the front over the visor, also this edge band appears wide and un-even not to mention that the nature of the edge band join is not typical and also sloppy. The visor show no crazing or really even wear and this is not what I would expect on a true field worn visor as most mint unworn examples show even a bit of crazing. The black velvet band looks on the narrow side as well. Maybe the chin cords are very thick, but generally the TK is not this crowded when the cords are worn even in this position.

The cap may well be 100% original, possibly foreign made, or not. I point out the above observations only to show how much variation can be found.

Comment

Chris,
          I am afraid of dismantle the insigna for photos...sorry.
          unfortunately I can not satisfy on all your requests....
          here are other details of pz.visor.
          GN58
          Attached Files

Comment

logo
            Attached Files

Comment

inter.detail
              Attached Files

Comment

leather logo
                Thanks at all for your interest.
                Attached Files

Comment

GN58 - no need to remove the insignia but a nice close up shot would be nice.

Phild - I agree with the points you made; but the crazing may be there on the visor but too hard to see in the photo. The Gebirgsjaeger visor I showed on page one has very fine crazing but is hard to see in the photos. Also most of my visors (SS and NSDAP) have the smaller velvet band (about 1 1/2 inches) but the SS officers visor in this pic has one about 2 1/4 inches wide.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A couple of quick comments on the HPC pz.cap above. This very same configuration of makers mark including the kleiderkasse SS text can be seen on page 288 of the Wilkins book.

"Frischluft" is HPC's sytem of letting fresh air into the cap through the pasteboard.

All the HPC "Stirndruckfrei" caps I've seen have a piece of black velvet sewn between the sweatband and cap frame all the way round. They also all had light gold coloured rayon or silk linings. These were very high quality caps, better than eReL in a lot of respects.

Comment

Well, HPC visors with only velvet from the frontal area reaching about 1.5 cm beyond the edges of the visor (only half way round the cap frame) aren't uncommen too.
                      Besides full black velvet attached sweatbands for HPC's I've seen 2 of those "half attached sweatbands", the HPC visor in the picture on page 289 of Wilkins book is also an example of the "halfway velvet" attachment.

Comment

Colleague Abenheim's insight on the HPC visor would be most appreciated!

Comment

Oh, du Lorelei....

Originally posted by Bruce Burnham
                          Colleague Abenheim's insight on the HPC visor would be most appreciated!
                          Ich bin ueberfragt. I do not know. I have never actually had a Hermann Potthof of Coesfeld cap in my sweaty hands, that is, of any branch, service, &c. I will say that the concept of ventilation is quite striking, though, in the theoretical. The Wilkins book includes a diagram and, I think, Stezelberger owned one. As to SS caps from this Lieferant, I have no idea whatsoever in this regard. In concrete terms, the Riefkogel cap, regardless of some doubts expressed here, strikes me as utterly authentic.

Comment

GN58, just to clarify, I wasn't asking you to take the insignia off of the PZ visor. I was talking about the fake eagle that is with the 499/41 skull,
                            but if you don't want to take them off either, that's understandable.

Anyway, could you please post some close-up pictures of the insignia on the PZ visor, (same size that you did with the 499/41 skull and it's eagle),
                            for us to view? I too, would like to see them.

Thanks! Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,
                              I am sorry,but my english is poor and horrible..

I don't have other photos, but I try tomorrow..
                              This is that I have...for the moment ,sorry.
                              Regards.
                              GN58

Comment

eagle..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X