Dirlewanger Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirlewanger Tunic

There is a Dirlewanger’ Brigade SS-Ustuf. Tunic for sale on SS Steel homepage and in the description: ".....the jacket was found as is, in the 1970s, in the famous ‘Rag Dump’ in Italy."

I am looking for information about "...the famous Rag Dump…" and what items that were found in it.

Originally posted by M40 View Post
    There is a Dirlewanger’ Brigade SS-Ustuf. Tunic for sale on SS Steel homepage and in the description: ".....the jacket was found as is, in the 1970s, in the famous ‘Rag Dump’ in Italy."

I am looking for information about "...the famous Rag Dump…" and what items that were found in it.
    I don't know about the one in Italy, but they had a similar one in Frankfort. They would go around purchasing used clothing of all types and then sell them at the flea market. Some really good military uniforms were sold there, but usually the insignia was removed.

Comment

Wasn't the Italian "rag dump" one of Lorenzo's supposed "sources" for his crap? Or am I getting that confused?

Comment

Hi,

pictures and infos for the sake of the discussion and the WAF archives.

Pictures courtesy of ss-steel-inc.com.

See You

Vince

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.ss-steel-inc.com/product...s-ustuf-tunic/

Phenomenally Rare ,Dirlewanger’ Brigade SS-Ustuf. Tunic
        SKU: Uajb37

$16,000.00

This is one of those incredibly rare and correct pieces that just makes you shake when you hold it in hand. I never thought I would see such a fine piece, all correct and complete, from such a notorious and short-lived SS unit. The back story is where it comes together: the jacket was found as is, in the 1970s, in the famous ‘Rag Dump’ in Italy. The collector, a local, kept it in Europe for decades before letting go of it to an advanced American collector. The tunic itself is a typical Heer pattern M42 jacket, German wool, with added pleated pockets, shortened hem and other features common to the SS wearers of these. There is no sign of a cufftitle. The later pattern flatwire eagle is hand applied, untouched, thread faded to purple. The eagle shows some wear. The tabs are beautiful– period machine-applied, officer piping upgraded, enlisted pattern (the only pattern ever produced by the way) ,Dirlewanger’ rifles and grenade tab; and matching rank tab, with three late style pips for SS-Untersturmfuhrer. The red piped artillery Ustuf. boards are very well period installed, and have not been touched or restored. The farb on the right board has a moth nip exposing the cardboard unterlagen. Simply a stunning outfit, with moderate wear and limited damage. This tunic would be a capstone piece for the advanced collection. We all know the reputation of Oskar Dirlewanger and his brigade. COA accompanies purchase.
        Attached Files

Comment

The tab (excluding piping), and flatwire sleeve eagle are original.

The sum of the parts, when/where they met etc is anyone's guess but I don't stumble over $16,000 that easily so would want some degree of comfort beyond what I see at the moment.

Did 'Dirlewanger' actually have an artillery/AA Divisional unit ? Questions a potential owner would need to ask.

Ian

Comment

Hi,

i had the same question, Ian, and if i compare the Sturmbrigade / "Charlemagne" brigade/division Gliederungen, the "Dirlwanger" had at least some 37mm AA guns, Pak 40 AT guns, 75mm infantry guns, and 105mm howitzer guns.

But i don't know if all those subunits existed in the field in late 1944.

I'm adding a few more close up pictures of the tunic, despite the original pics were very dark.

Notice the two damages that should have been highlighted in my opinion.

See You

Vince
            Attached Files

Comment

Put together Nonsense. Ask the Seller for a Close Up from the Breast Pocket as well as one with the Sleeves inside out, and then you will see what it really is. That is how you turn a 1,5K Dirlwanger EM Tab, 500 Euro Boards a 800 Euro Eagle and a 700 Euro Jacket with a bit Magic into a 16K ultra rare Tunic with a Branch Color they never had. Well done
              WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Is the piping on that tab original? I always thought that the piping is supposed to be made from silver bullion threads, and the one you see on the photo seems to have some cotton filler inside.

Comment

according to "wiki' sturmbrigade Dirlewanger Oct. 44 had a artillerie abteilung

Comment

I would need a lot of real convincing to believe an M42 Heer tunic was recovered, intact, from an SS unit that is so infamous. I would think members would have shed their insignia and pretended to be Heer troops, or just disappear into the chaos of May 1945 Europe. How did it get to Italy?

Bob Hritz ko
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Footage

There si footage of a decorated Dirlewanger NCO in a POW cage.To be honest most SS would jettison tabs et al.

Comment

agree with Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Harrington View Post
                          There si footage of a decorated Dirlewanger NCO in a POW cage.To be honest most SS would jettison tabs et al.
                          Here he is:
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by WalterB; 05-06-2020, 07:47 PM.
                          When you go home
                          Tell them for us and say
                          For your tomorrow
                          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Well then how could ANY ss tunic exist if you use that logic? There are original KZ tunics, TK tunics, and they were perceived as a lot more evil at the time. Not until after the trials were histories and atrocities of units like this more widely known.

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                            I would need a lot of real convincing to believe an M42 Heer tunic was recovered, intact, from an SS unit that is so infamous. I would think members would have shed their insignia and pretended to be Heer troops, or just disappear into the chaos of May 1945 Europe. How did it get to Italy?

Bob Hritz ko

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X