Hermann Göring's Schulterklappen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
    So, as nice as the items are individually, they were put together in a post-war-made leather display box.
    My thoughts too ; the problem with many museums is that they not say what is original and what is copy

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
      An observation:

"Berkfel" is not a German word; it's nonsensical.

I dare say that inscription was copied from the one on the brown leather case by someone who can't read German Gothic letters: On the case it says "Werkfest", which is roughly a celebration/festival for the staff of a company, in this case probably for personnel who had worked on the remodelling and enlargement of Carinhall, which was completed in July 1937.

So, as nice as the items are individually, they were put together in a post-war-made leather display box.
      Very good eye there. I believe you are correct. The image is blurry, but I count eight letters before Carinhall. So Werkfest Carinhall would make sense. And it is a leather cigar case for carrying in your coat pocket. I have one shown here that my dad bought and initialed for my twentieth many moons ago. What is more, a friend sent images of the gun and engraving to one of the established engravers in the Suhl area and he dismissed it as German. Hendrik thought the shotgun was an Aya and the engraving more Spanish in execution. Looking on the Aya web site, one of their modern O/U shotguns has a similar look for the fore stock.

So perhaps someone needs to advise the NRA Museum to verify this piece because of these seeming inconsistencies.
      Attached Files

Comment

And what is more, I find it odd that the engrave misspelled the name of the commander of the Luftwaffe. It is Göring, not Goring.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
          And what is more, I find it odd that the engrave misspelled the name of the commander of the Luftwaffe. It is Göring, not Goring.
          I see the Umlaut on the "o"

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
            I see the Umlaut on the "o"
            Me too but I think this is a postwar set. Those boards look terrible IMO
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Tough to see. I would think it would have been at nearly as large as the dot on the i.

Comment

Interesting piece and discussion, for sure cobbled together post war. Strange grouping of items, shoulder boards need to be removed and discussed.

Comment

I certainly would have expected better of a museum. Confusing a B for a W is particularly egregious (and embarassing) in my opinion.

Comment

There are mistakes, fakes, and put together items in EVERY museum in the world. They get scammed just like collectors. In fact worse, as folks donate items, which is likely the case here, for tax write-offs.

In this case I am surprised the shotgun was faked. It does have an "ö" on it.

Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC with an art expert sometime, and it will amaze you.
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                      There are mistakes, fakes, and put together items in EVERY museum in the world. They get scammed just like collectors. In fact worse, as folks donate items, which is likely the case here, for tax write-offs.

In this case I am surprised the shotgun was faked. It does have an "ö" on it.

Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC with an art expert sometime, and it will amaze you.
                      The engraving on that shotgun is first class. I suppose it could be a fake, but an expensive fake.

Comment

Not faked per se but embellished with his name, and gold filled afterwards
                        WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Who donated this piece?

What was the company in Virginia that imported guns?

The owner lived next door to a very dear childhood friend in McLain Va.

He invited me over one day and showed me this exact piece in 1986.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                            Not faked per se but embellished with his name, and gold filled afterwards
                            Except that area left blank looks exactly where a name would appear.

Comment

Originally posted by manayunkman View Post
                              Who donated this piece?

What was the company in Virginia that imported guns?

The owner lived next door to a very dear childhood friend in McLain Va.

He invited me over one day and showed me this exact piece in 1986.
                              You mean the guy that ran Interarms then, Tom Nelson? Who showed it to you? Your friend or the company owner?

Comment

I know a woman in northern Bavaria who I call the best weapon hand engraver, she can do anything in best quality. For such material only solid provenance can assure the history.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Robert H; 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X